close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

God or no God

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by FCoulter, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    Which of these "clues from science" do you propose as the strongest evidence for God?

2. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    DId you read the booklet? After you have we can discuss it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. You posed the question of whether or not there exists a god, but then you only link to a source that claims that there is a god and you won't accept debate from anyone that hasn't read your link.

This is going to be a fair and objective thread...

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    :dunno:

Currently, there is no convincing answer one way or the other. Choose if you need to, and try to be comfortable enough with that choice to accept that other people make different choices. Seems reasonable to me.

5. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    There is a God!
    There's no evidence by design and for a purpose.

6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    yes, I did.

7. JGlockman

JGlockman

Oct 17, 2011
    No God.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

8. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Be the Archetype. That way it does not matter if there is a God or not.

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i dont see evidence of God, but science still leaves a lot unexplained.....my jury is still out.

10. JGlockman

JGlockman

Oct 17, 2011
    I've been to the natural history museum. I have seen dinosaur bones. I have yet to see a god bone. Or even a jesus bone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I saw one clearly true statement in the booklet:
    Unfortunately, they go on from there to argue that the scientific reason for believing in god is that science can't explain some things, therefore god did it. Basically a lot of words to present the weakest, most flawed argument in favor of god that could be made.

To their credit, they did follow it up with "even if science is right, that may not disprove god" just to cover all bets. :rofl:

They may have mixed in the old "the universe is perfectly tuned for our existence" as proof of god (intelligent design type argument). The defect in that one is, "the universe is designed for what we are" is the flip side of "we are what we are because of the conditions in the universe" which, fortunately, requires no supernatural source and, therefore, is the correct answer (google: Occam's Razor).

For extra humor, they bring up the old "Law of Biogenesis" as though it is a science conflict, rather than a fictional conflict based on "science" from 150 years ago, dealing with whether living things, now, could suddenly spring to life fully formed from nonliving elements. It appears to only be mentioned these days by religious literalists.

In short, that booklet doesn't even rank among the better obviously false religious arguments against science.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  12. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    So do you think that if you believe in dinosaurs you cant believe in God?

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    If there is no evidence of god, then the jury is not out.

Since you use a legal analogy - if there is no evidence, you have failed to state a claim and your action is frivolous, therefore there is nothing for a jury to decide.

In this argument, "no evidence of god" (which I agree with) means god is just as likely to exist as fairies, flying spaghetti monsters, and the fire-breathing dragon in my basement. Which is to say, for all practical purposes, he does not exist, just like those other things.

14. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    somebody is dead from a non self inflicted gunshot wound....some argue that Joe did it, some argue that Joe wasnt even in the state when it happened. no proof (yet) one way or the other for either argument. waiting on the proof does not mean there isnt any.

15. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Also important to differentiate between proof and truth. Truth is what it is. Proof is what you can convince 12 other people is the truth.

16. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    two shea dear doctor.

17. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Just "doc" . Retired Army PA

18. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    You would have to have some proof Joe did it to get past an arraignment, and to a jury before the jury could be "out". You don't even have enough of a case for god to garner a warrant let alone make it any further with your analogy.