close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Go check your phone bill

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by devildog2067, Aug 6, 2012.

1. devildog2067

devildog2067

My dad has always been the kind of guy who goes over every bill every month and checks the math. In February he was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer and since then he's had other things to worry about.

My mom asked me to look over their phone bills because she feels like they've "gotten higher" and sure enough... starting in March every month AT&T billed them between $9.99 and $24.97 extra for "mobile web purchases." Almost 90 bucks worth of apps that there's absolutely no way my parents bought--my dad just sent his first text message last week, the man is almost 60.

I just spent an hour on the phone getting the charges refunded.

Go check your phone bill, they're a bunch of thieves.

2. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

My wife and I switched over to one of those prepaid data plans when our contract with AT&T ran out. It's a good bit cheaper than AT&T. If there's a drawback to it, I haven't seen it in over a year. It always works and no mystery charges.

3. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Sorry to hear of your dad's health. Nobody at the phone company is trying to steal your dad's money, things happen.

4. Sinister Paige

Sinister Paige

They did that to me as well. I allegedly purchased some astrology readings and a sports stats, neither were valid. I called them up and talked to customer service and they reversed the charges.

Good luck

5. racer11

racer11

My GF has a ATT I phone and she got some weird charges a couple of months ago. She called and they took off the charges.

I have all my text and picture and web crap blocked,,,I only talk and never get any of those mysterious so called charges.

6. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Very sorry to hear about your father, best thoughts going out to him.

7. gatorboy

gatorboy

I have 4 lines with them. GF uses one. Of course it was hers that got charges for ? from ? Went in and had the money
    refunded.

I look every month now, easy not to with direct deposit. Helps to be a long term customer also. They'll take about anything off I ***** about.

8. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

AT&T... that's the problem right there.

9. gatorboy

gatorboy

I believe that was what the charge was for as well. Total BS, somebody will be going to Club Fed soon I'm sure.

10. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Really? I dumped AT&T fro the same over billing reasons. Seems very odd that so many people are getting charged for more than they are supposed to pay if it is not theft. :upeyes:

11. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Really. AT&T did not come up with the charges, nor did they get the money for it. Local and wireless phone companies allow 3rd party billing on their monthly statements, ie. your local bill will often have your long distance carrier charges on there.

Fraudulent charges placed on your phone bill by a 3rd party is called cramming.

12. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

I wonder if it's the company that makes the apps is sneaking the bill in somehow? or maybe at&t just sucks.

13. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

Totally unrelated, I know...

My 2nd tour in Iraq, I contacted AT&T, and suspended my service. Explained that I was deploying, and had no intention of breaking my contract, I just wouldn't be here to use it.

Fast forward 1 year later to when I put boots back stateside. AT&T would not allow me to re-activate my service, and stated that I never suspended it. Instead, they had terminated it for non-payment, and said I owed them $800. Really? My bill was only a little over a hundred per month when I was using it. Apparently, if I'm stateside, and using the service, they disconnect it within 2 weeks of missing payment, but if I'm deployed, they keep the line active for 7 months because "they support the troops and are willing to work with them", even tho I told them to suspend service and I couldn't use it overseas.

I guess they figured they could cash in on my pay once I came back home. Needless to say, I raised hell, brought in a year's worth of LES's to verify I was in the sand, and threatened to sue. After a few months of going round and round with them, they dropped the bill and offered to re-instate my service + 1 month free service. I told them "thank you, but your service is no longer needed". That was in '04. Screw them.

/rant

But I'm pretty sure AT&T is your problem. But then again, I'm biased.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  14. nmk

nmk

I just changed my texting plan and I got double-charged for the first month. I'm debating whether it's worth my time...

AT&T, btw.

15. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Same exact thing happened to me. I went to the local AT&T store and made a scene though. It was not pretty. Second day back from a 9 month deployment to Gulf is not agood time to be jerking someone around.

16. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

Amen to that! A pissed off grunt is not something anybody wants. I tried handling over the phone at first tho, so customer service caught the brunt of it. I had cooled down to the level of "highly agitated" by the time I bothered going in to a store.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

17. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

Cramming aounds about right. Here they want to start cramming more school taxes into our phone bills.

Sorry about your dad. My prayers go out to your family.

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

You really think AT&T doesn't get a cut of it? They process the billing for the 3rd party charges out of the goodness of their hearts?

Think again. The only reason this has gone on so long is because the phone companies get to keep a piece of the action.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Yup. Happens. You can put a block on them to stop the moe-rons from doing it again.

My 15 yr old MAY have had that happen or it may have been her doing something she shouldn't have on her old phone. I took responsibility but then blocked anything else she wants. There is a 4 digit passcode to add stuff with AT&T on her phone now. :)

I check my cell plan every month. Thankfully, AT&T's bill's got easier in the last few cycles.

20. wjv

wjv

Net10 for us.

Uses the AT&T network but only is running us $45/month for 3 phones combined. .