close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Gmail

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by harryrod, Jun 21, 2004.

1. harryrod

harryrod

Oct 29, 2002
    Anyone out there with a gmail account that would like to send an invite to a fellow Glocker?
    If you do could you send it to

crodriguez at knology dot net

thanks

2. AZMAN

AZMAN Millennium Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Arizona
    As long as we are starting a thread I'll ask also...

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    i may sound stupid on this thread but what is gmail and what is an invitation for?

4. prism

prism more ammo

Sep 26, 2002
    Indiana
    gmail invites sent to harryrod and AZMAN.

you can put other first/last names in the form, you dont have to keep what I put in there.

AZMAN, there has been a problem with getting invites through to yahoo mail accts. I sent you a PM.

5. AZMAN

AZMAN Millennium Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Arizona
    Prism,

I thank you very much. It didn't show up in my yahoo mail or bulk mail. Very interesting. The link via pm worked fine.

Thanks again. When I'm able to invite someone I'll be sure to give it to someone here via this thread.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Obviously it's super secret, hush-hush and they cannot talk about it to us peons or else: [​IMG]

DanH

7. hate to nag you but, can any of the ones who registered send me an invitation too?

fatlander at htobox.ru

8. prism

prism more ammo

Sep 26, 2002
    Indiana
    fatlander and hapuna invited.

I am out of invites for now.

9. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Washington
  10. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    Isn't Google Mail the one who sniffs your email so that they can place well designed advertising in your inbox or scattered around on the web page for you. No Thanks, I have enough people looking at my email as it is.

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    Just a thought, what kind of advertising would you get if you and your freinds decided that all the email you sent would be sent as binary code. They when you received it you would decode it in ASCII to read it. Would you get advertising for 1 zero airplane?

12. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    or just encrypt it. PGP :)

13. matt3310

matt3310 who me???

Jun 9, 2002
    Arkansas
  14. Anon1

Anon1

Aug 17, 2000

There are numerous reports over the last few days that both Yahoo and Hotmail are blocking the gmail invites from being delivered to the Yahoo/Hotmail mailboxes.

15. matt3310

matt3310 who me???

Jun 9, 2002
    Arkansas
    Thanks Prism I got it working!!!!!!!!
    ;Y ;V ;W ;+ ~2

16. Wadely

Wadely not a member

I've had my Gmail account since Monday (got the invite from a friend that I know IRL). I've been using it ever since and it's great.

The interface is really nifty, much more like an application than a web page. It doesn't have that "waiting for the web page to load" feel as you click through your emails. Don't knock it until you try it.

The ads are not scattered on the page OR in your inbox. They appear on the side of the screen just like when you do a Google search. It's MUCH less annoying to me than Hotmail's ad system and almost every site you go to nowadays tracs your useage for ads, it's not like this is a new thing. They aren't "reading" your mail. It's just some sort of script that say "hey this dude's got alot of emails with the words 'car' and 'broken' in it. I think I'll show him ads for GM and Ford". Some of you guys are WAY too paranoid.

Prism - How long until I start getting invites to hand out? Does something trigger them? I've noticed that some people get a lot more to hand out than others do. I've heard it's useage based, so I have .. ahem .. signed myself up for a lot of (legit) newsletters and news site notifications. I must be getting 150 emails a day from CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc with news articles in them. On top of that I have been using it for all my actual email communications and, as I said above, I really do like it.

17. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    I just run my own mail server. That way, I know who can read my mail behind the scenes, don't get ads at all, can block anything or reroute anything and can set it so that the first 100 characters of a mail from specific people go to my pager as well so I know they wrote and about what the mail was written.

I still don't understand this stuff.

DanH