close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glocks with weak ejection & BTF - do they malfunction while hand cycling?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Z71bill, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

OK - I figure 10 guys will post that hand cycling is not representative of actual shooting. :shocked:

I also must be a fool to start a thread about hand cycling and weak ejection. :rofl:

But WTH -

I know that many times a gun will not eject cartridges "properly" when you hand cycle the slide - some will jam / fail to feed - but they will function just fine when you shoot them.

What about the Glocks with weak ejection /BTF?

If you load up a mag and try and hand cycle through it - what happens?

Seems logical if a gun WILL hand cycle rounds out and to the right with good results - it would also function when you are shooting.

I just got a FEDX delivery of 230 GR Federal HST :supergrin:- so I hand cycled a mag through the (so far flawless shooting) GEN4 G21 -

Holding the gun over a bed - I racked the slide 14 times -

Loaded the first cartridge - and then ejected all 13 rounds into a nice neat little pile about 2 feet from the gun.

Anyone with a weak ejecting / BTF Glock ever try hand cycling a mag? What was the result?

:dunno:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Dexters

Dexters

What was your objective for doing this?

3. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

My thought is that I cannot rack the slide with exactly the same force as a bullet firing, so the whole dynamic of hand cycling will be too different from shooting to be able to compare.

YMMV

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Just for the hell of it -- I had no real expectation -

I just read a bunch of threads about weak ejection / BTF - got me thinking - if they have weak ejection when you shoot them - do they also have failures when you hand cycle.

If the failure is due in part to weak / under powered ammo - I would assume hand cycling would cause all sorts of issues.

5. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I hand cycled snap caps through my Glock 17 late production gen 3 when I first got it. With a good grip and some muscle to cycle the slide quickly enough, the rounds ejected quite far. But then again it has had no ejection problems in maybe 200-250 rounds so far so :)

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

No. Hand cycling cartridges through your Glock is NOT the same thing as actually firing it. (Sorry!) :)

7. Dexters

Dexters

There are several variables in actual firing that makes that useless

- holding the while firing - w/2 hands vs 1 while hand cycling

- recoil and the affect on brass ejection pattern

In short, you are not replicating the same situation of actual vs hand cycling.

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

Give me a break - you guys trying to tell me hand cycling is not the same as firing a round?

I am Ninja quick - and think I can exactly duplicate the force of firing a +P 230 GR round by hand cycling. :whistling:

9. Southwind

Southwind

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431881

10. wrecks24

wrecks24

Is this a new pistol? If so, the only real way to test it is to shoot it. You will never get enough force by hand. Dont read these negative threads about BTF and come to any conclusion that your pistol sucks without firing it, chances are its fine.

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

Both my Glocks are fine -

I was just wondering if the people that have a Glock THAT HAS a week ejection problem / BTF issue could duplicate the problem if they hand cycled the gun.

I can see reliable shooting gun - doesn't function 100% when hand cycling

I can see reliable gun - does function 100% even when hand cycling

I have a hard time understanding why a gun would hand cycle 100% but have failures to function because of weak/low power ammo.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I was just trying this the other day and comparing my Glocks to my other pistols. Hand cycling works fine. HOWEVER, my Glocks have the "weakest" ejection, by far. (I have dummy rounds [no powder or primer] made up so it's safer to try this)

On an interesting side note.... I can mess up the mag spring of my M&P 45 Compact by hand cycling 230gr Gold Dots. After the last round the mag spring will get a weird bend in it and not work right any more. It's happened twice. Very odd. Needless to say I use HSTs now in the .45.

13. harleygsb

harleygsb

I had a Gen 3 G17 that had weak ejection, jammed and BTF. Ejection was weak hand cycling as well. A new ejector solved the weak ejecting, but magnified the BTF in a big way. Brass sprayed everywhere, just about every round.

The gun went to Glock twice and Glock replaced it. The replacement is at the LGS, waiting for the CA 30 day and 10 day waiting period, since I got a Sig in the meantime. Love the P226.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Maybe a better way to ask the question would be if there is someone with two of the same model, one that has issues and one that does not, and they tried each by hand would there be any noticeable difference.

15. English

English

I think it was a good question and I think I know the answer, but it would be nice to have evidence from multiple guns and shooters.

English

16. sciolist

sciolist

When I was troubleshooting my 34, I had a known-good and known-bad gun (both 34's). There was a large difference between the two in live ejection, but no discernable difference in manual ejection. I tried snap caps, dummies with plastic bullets and dummies with lead bullets. Also tried range of slide force from smallest to largest I could apply.

On somewhat related topic, I can feel a little choppiness manually chambering 147 HST in my 26, but it has never presented the slightest problem live.

17. Bruce M

Bruce M

Ahh Thanks much. That helps to significantly reduce the guess work.