close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock's Position on Ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bentbiker, Mar 9, 2013.

1. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    "Glock suggests using ammunition that is manufactured and meets SAAMI or industry specifications. If you are not sure the ammunition brand or type you choose is safe for use, call the ammunition manufacturer and ask if the product meets SAAMI guidelines before using it in you firearm. Some +P ammunition meets these guidelines, +P+ normally does not. This ammunition may generate a higher pressure over the standard loadings, and may shorten the component life of your firearm."

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Is this a public service announcement, or did you actually have a point?

Cat

3. whip

whip

Dec 29, 2012
    N.E Ohio
    I think the point is not to use unapproved ammo in your firearm.

4. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

Jun 20, 2011
    USA
    Exactly! I ran 100 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P through my G21 yesterday. 8-9 rounds out of every mag either landed on my arms or in the hood of my jacket, but it ran flawlessly so I'm good to go.......but my wallet, not so much. lol

5. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    So do all of the other firearms manufacturers.

Nothing new here. :)

6. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Since 99% posts answering whether it is OK to use even +P+, say "Absolutely fine," I thought some might appreciate seeing what Glock actually says. Sorry you aren't among the "some."

7. Well then there was a purpose in your post after all! Good on you. Now we know.

Cat

8. Direwolf131

Direwolf131 Guest

The G21 is notorious for spitting brass right back at the shooter. Oftentimes, or at least historically, the best solution was to run hotter ammo. That has all changed with the advent of all the ejection and feed issues associated with, but not limited to the Gen4 Glocks.

9. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks for the post. My son-in-law recently bought a revolver for my daughter, the manufacturer said absolutely no +P ammo in it.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Was she anticipating the need to penetrate windshields and barriers like the police? Is that why she even considered using +P? There is a revolver out there that when chambered in .357 Mag shoots the .357 cartridge but the felt recoil is that normally associated with the .38 Spl.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Actually, she's an Army combat medic. I'd rather she shoot. When a guy just wont take no for an answer she announces her m.o.s. and tells him she can kill him in dozens of ways, bring him back to life, and repeat the cycle till she's bored with him. But we digress.

12. scattershot

scattershot

Nov 15, 2010
    Denver, CO

LOL! Not a lady to mess with!

13. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    I called Glock about shooting +P+ ammo in my G19 and the guy I talked to said he see's no problem with it. I've shoot a few hundred rounds through my Glock with no problem.

14. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Aug 5, 2012
    Uuhh?? In 38 special the +P ammo is the "normal" round. Almost nobody uses standard pressure for self defense.

15. :) God Bless Her

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. chemboy

chemboy

Jun 9, 2004
    Idaho
    I do shoot +p+ ammo out of my G19, but a very small fraction of the 15,000 rds I have through the weapon.
    Although I certainly agree that +P+ rounds will stress the pistol more than the standard or +P rounds I still carry the +P+ in my G19 when serving as my CCW.
    For one, I don't think that shooting 400 or 500 rds of the very hot stuff a year is going to make much difference in a pistol that has gone over half a million rounds(of standard and perhaps NATO pressure levels) in testing?
    Secondly, I really like the G19,and it does seem that the faster loadings in the 9X19 have a better stopping/incapacitation record when used on two-legged animals.
    If I had to use standard pressure 9X19 as my CCW load, I probably would run a 357 SIG or 40 SW instead.

YMMV.

17. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    I agree. ☝☝☝☝☝

18. Pro

Pro

Mar 11, 2013
    Mass.
    When I carry my 20 year-old no +P airweight J-Frame I still carry standard pressure Federal Nyclads. Not a bad stopper from what I've read, at least for a standard .38 cartridge.

19. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

.40 +P? That's kind of funny/lame considering that .40 is already technically a +P to begin with, and a 185 grain bullet is on the heavy side for the .40. l would be concerned that an eventual anomaly in the ammo production line (which do happen) could cause a pressure spike that could kB the gun. Also, the timing of the gun is not set up for loads like that, either. Personally, i wouldn't run them. That's what my 10mm's are for.

20. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    ^ This