Glock Talk banner

Glocks Made in USA

43K views 134 replies 63 participants last post by  Cashgap 
#1 ·
Didn't even know these existed!!!:wow: Anyone know WHY they exist? From internet rumor mill, it has something to do with the tenifer coating.

See less See more
#53 ·
Deputy,
What is it about direct info from Glock's press reps that you perist in calling second & third hand word of mouth?
These are the people responsible for giving out information FROM Glock.
They are PAID to do so BY Glock.
They are PAID by Glock to deal with the gun press.
That's hardly second-hand word of mouth.

OK, YOU call Glock & ask.
In the meantime, take it or leave it.
Makes no further difference to me.
Denis

#57 ·
Yet they DO have information on the link I supplied about the Gen 4 guns.
The GLOCK Gen4 pistols started coming out in 2010. It's been almost three years since they announced the guns (which I believe was done at Shot Show 2010, which takes place in January). Just because the website has information about the Gen4 guns doesn't mean that it's any sort of up-to-date (for instance, the "ad" on the front page is highlighting the GLOCK 19 Gen4 and GLOCK 23 Gen4, some of the first Gen4 models to be released). There are a couple of other things that the website doesn't mention, such as the 22-round GLOCK .40 magazines and the "dot" connector.

GLOCK dropping Tenifer is something that is pretty recent, so the international website (which isn't updated very often, a problem that the USA website suffers from as well) may not reflect the change.

#59 ·
The pig nose is getting even worse.

Why does anyone want a US made Glock? The Austrian ones don't even work right any more. And look how much crap other US made guns get (Sig in particular)

#60 ·
Cowboy,
What proof?
Glock's ad agency/press contact says they're not using Tennifer anymore.

I could equally ask what proof do you have that any of their websites are up to date or accurate?

What sort of proof do you need? A metallurgy lab report?
I've been dealing with Glock for years. I've written for their Glock Annual magazine.
As I said- it's my business to have reliable contacts with a number of manufacturers.

What I gave you here comes from Glock channels, and it's current.
Denis

#61 · (Edited)
Heh...insteresting question.:supergrin: Have to find a Glock Forum in the Phillipines to find out. That is one of the locations where US-made Glocks are being sold.
300 rounds through my USA Gen3 G17. I've had 3 ejections to my forehead and a couple back at my arm. I took the slide apart and gave it a thorough cleaning today. (Dipped extractor, 336 ejector.) Not expecting it will make a difference but I'll have fun testing anyway. :)

Attachments

#63 ·
There was never any proof that Glock was using Tennifer in the first place, beyond their word, by your definition of proof.

If you believe websites over people directly involved with Glock, your choice.
You'd asked, you'd speculated, and when you got the truth from official Glock channels, you rejected it.
Why bother to participate in the discussion at all?
Denis

#64 ·
There was never any proof that Glock was using Tennifer in the first place, beyond their word, by your definition of proof.

If you believe websites over people directly involved with Glock, your choice.
You'd asked, you'd speculated, and when you got the truth from official Glock channels, you rejected it.
Why bother to participate in the discussion at all?
Denis

#66 ·
SC,
If you're agreeing with Deputy, I'll make one final comment regarding the "hearsay" term.

In over two decades of doing what I do, it's been & it remains necessary to communicate with makers of the products I write about.

Companys handle this process in different ways. Most will have designated reps inside the organization that deal with the press.
Others will hire a PR agency to interface between the maker and the press.

The PR agency will take care of getting out announcements on what the company's doing, help arrange for product samples, and answer questions relating to those products as needed.

Glock is now using an agency for these purposes, as is Colt, among others.
With agency involvement, when I want a product for T&E, I put in my request for a test sample, it's handled by the account guy, and followup questions relative to the product are addressed to, and answered by, that account guy.

These people are fully supported by the companies that hire their agencies, and if they don't already know the answers to my questions they get with the appropriate person inside the company to get the correct info to relay back to me.

In doing so, what they tell me is not "hearsay", it's company-supported, company-sourced, and company-approved information.
In other words, the account people are functioning as direct speakers for the company that hires them.
Facilitating a flow of information between the maker and the writer who'll be writing up a given product is the agency's sole purpose. It's what they're hired to do- get the word out.

It's not hearsay, by one lone guy making things up as he goes along.
In Glock's case, the ad agency is in a double bind. If they put out bad info that makes it into print, they'll draw the wrath of the company & its owner on one side, and they'll draw the wrath of the writer on the other side, as well as losing credibility within the publishing field.

Glock would not take kindly to mis-information being disseminated by their paid rep, and I do not enjoy printing erroneous material on any product.
Both the maker & the writer HAVE to depend on the designated rep for accuracy, and if it doesn't happen, that agency simply will not be representing the maker any longer.

If an ad executive passes on erroneous info about Glock products, particularly about manufacturing processes, it'd be his job.
The reason it took weeks to get my response on the question was the ad contact running it through Glock channels for accuracy and approval, which does take time, before he'd risk his job answering me.

This agency relationship as an official speaker for the company is not unique to Glock, I run across it here & there.
When Glock hires a communication firm to communicate, and that firm speaks FOR Glock, it is not hearsay.

I had not intended to respond to Deputy any further, he obviously has his mind made up.
Since you continued the thread with what appears to be your own agreement on "hearsay", I've made this last contribution to the thread.

If you don't want to believe, for some reason, fine.
There were questions and speculation on the issue, and its been answered by two of us who know.
In my case, through official Glock channels. No hearsay involved.
And with that, done. :)
Denis

#67 · (Edited)
Hey D, what's the story with that rusty Glock pic?
According to the link..."This last note probably explains the well-reported rust problems that Smith and Wesson M&P have had with slide corrosion. GLOCKs also have infrequent rust issues. The discussion on this Metal Finishing forum educates us to the fact that even the exact same finishing process is going to vary according to the details of the particular process. So inconsistancies even within one manufacturer should not be surprising."

So my best guess is the finish on that rusty Glock was improperly applied. I know there have been some S&W M&P pistols that have rusted after having Melonite applied, but that was because the tenifer reacts badly with stainless steel slide.

Here is some more info from that website:

"So there is my official scoop on Tenifer. It is an awesome finish. It is one of the best. It is not perfect, but carefully done, it can be close. GLOCK did not invent it, nor was it the first to use it. GLOCK may have been the first to use it on a firearm, though. The process is not secret, although they’d like to keep it mysterious. Other firearms companies use it, but apparently the cheaper version or inappropriately (on stainless steel, for example). In the past, it may have been prohibited by the US EPA, but now it is commonly applied in the US, even in Southern California, no less."

And the date of the article is April 13, 2012.

#68 ·
One last (really :) ) post on this.
Was done with it, but thought I'd see what Glock's response to the question would be using that website which seems to be the only source some posters will recognize as being valid. Tried an email direct to Glock through their US website a couple days ago, a route & process that anybody can use. Asked when Glock had dropped the process entirely, here AND abroad.
The answer just came in:

"Glock stopped using the tenifer process in mid 2010.
We now use a gas nitride process, same result using a different process.
Good day."
Emma Capucci, On Behalf Of TeamGlock

And with that, I'm outa this one. :)
Denis

#69 · (Edited)
Evidently the way to tell the new, non-tenifer finish from the tenifer finish is the color. And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated.
Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, they are the "grey" finish guns that you see. The "shiny black" guns are the ones that were stil tenifered on the slide. I have four Gen 3 guns and one of them is a 2010 all shiny black temifer. The new production guns are all grey. I hope the new style coating will be as durable as tenifer. :shocked:

#70 · (Edited)
You really don't understand what Tenifer is, do you? Tenifer is a treatment, not a finish. The color of the slide has nothing to do with whether or not it has gone through the Tenifer process or not. The finish is applied after the slides are "Tenifered." And over the years, Glock have had many different finishes applied over the treated metal, from Parkerizing to Teflon/Ceramic finishes.

Evidently the way to tell the new, non-tenifer finish from the tenifer finish is the color. And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated.
Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, they are the "grey" finish guns that you see. The "shiny black" guns are the ones that were stil tenifered on the slide. I have four Gen 3 guns and one of them is a 2010 all shiny black temifer. The new production guns are all grey. I hope the new style coating will be as durable as tenifer. :shocked:

#71 ·
You really don't understand what Tenifer is, do you? Tenifer is a treatment, not a finish. The color of the slide has nothing to do with whether or not it has gone through the Tenifer process or not. The finish is applied after the slides are "Tenifered." And over the years, Glock have had many different finishes applied over the treated metal, from Parkerizing to Teflon/Ceramic finishes.
Geez...I thought my line "And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated" would have covered this. I KNOW tenifer is a metal treatment and that it doesn't AFFECT the color of the slide.
I was simpy stating that CURRENT guns that DON'T have the tenifer finish are colored grey. NOT that tenifer affected the color. Cripes some people just insist on flaunting their "knowledge", even when it is unecessary. Simply put, if you have a GREY Glock, it does NOT have a tenifer treatment. That's ALL I was saying.

#72 ·
Sorry. Since you kept saying "Tenifer finish," I assumed you meant finish.

It'd be interesting to know exactly when Glock stopped doing the Tenifer treatment, because both of mine are glossy black, but recently made. Maybe they stopped the Tenifer before they changed the slide finish.

Geez...I thought my line "And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated" would have covered this. I KNOW tenifer is a metal treatment and that it doesn't AFFECT the color of the slide.
I was simpy stating that CURRENT guns that DON'T have the tenifer finish are colored grey. NOT that tenifer affected the color. Cripes some people just insist on flaunting their "knowledge", even when it is unecessary. Simply put, if you have a GREY Glock, it does NOT have a tenifer treatment. That's ALL I was saying.

#74 ·
According to two different instructors, GLOCK employees, that teach the armorer's class, GLOCK no longer uses the tenifer process. I was told this in both March and May of this year. Take it or leave it, but don't fight over it.:steamed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.