Glock Talk banner

Glocks Made in USA

43K views 134 replies 63 participants last post by  Cashgap 
#1 ·
Didn't even know these existed!!!:wow: Anyone know WHY they exist? From internet rumor mill, it has something to do with the tenifer coating.

See less See more
#7 ·
Its probally that Austria does not have a trade agreement with the country and the US does so they get tagged USA
Actually, the guns are Made in USA. Or at least, assembled here. The whole Made/Assembled in USA is a grey area. Harley-Davidson motorcylces have to have a certain percentage of their parts made here in order to claim Made in USA.

#10 ·
There's always the economics. The U.S. is probably the largest gun market with a steady demand year in, year out. Also, 'Made in USA' vs importing eliminates a number of ATF gun importation rules and regulations. And politically, the U.S. is very gun-friendly. Finally, the U.S. dollar is pretty weak (but stable), so it's more economical (ie: more profitable via foreign exchange rates) to make guns here and import them to Europe and the rest of the world.

#11 ·
How is the ejection with the USA versions??

:couch:

#16 · (Edited)
Oh man, I would like one with USA on it.
X2!!!! Count me in for one!!! :thumbsup:

If the USA-made ones become more readily available, I wonder if there will be a premium on them? Beretta is in that situation with their 92. More pople want US-made ones than Italian ones. Of course, the US-made Berettas also seem to be of higher quality.

#17 ·
Thought we decided last month that a byproduct of the tennifer treatment (arsenic) made it prohibitive to make the guns here for the US market. All go through the Tennifer treatment in Austria.

Or was that just a dream?

#18 ·
Thought we decided last month that a byproduct of the tennifer treatment (arsenic) made it prohibitive to make the guns here for the US market. All go through the Tennifer treatment in Austria.

May have been a dream.:supergrin:
It's not arsenic, it's cyanide that is the offending item. Interestingly, S&W uses Melonite, which is the same as tenifer, on their guns. Must be a different process that doesn't involve cyanide.

Here's some good info on tenifer...

http://glocktips.com/tenifer-is-the...ronment-or-is-it-glock-wants-you-to-think-so/

Interesting pic:

#21 ·

GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made. The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course. I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.

#23 ·
GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made. The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course. I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.
how would you explain the original Tenifer and parkerized looking finish then???...I don't believe the Tenifer had much effect on the look of the completed pistol...GLOCK has had dull gray, shiny black, dull black and somewhere in the middle between shiny and dull...some had Tenifer...they don't currently...

Bill

#24 ·
They may not use tenifer in Austria and USA, but the shiny black guns ARE still being made. I have a 26 and 30 with July 2012 production dates and BOTH have the shiny black finish. Both are Gen 3 guns. The finish on Glocks comes out randomly black or grey. There is no consustency from Glock on what color finish a gun has and tenifer does not affect the external finish.

#25 · (Edited)
GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made.
This completely untrue. Glock still uses Tenifer. There have been different exterior finishes over the years, but the process of hardening the steel known as Tenifer is still used in Austria in the manufacture of Glocks and here in the US, known as Melonite, also by several different manufacturers.

The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course.
No, they haven't.

Tenifer is the trade name given to the process of ferritic nitrocarburizing where the metal is nitrided by diffusing nitrogen into the metal's surface, a form of case-hardening.

The exterior finish has nothing to do with the Tenifer process as it is applied after nitrding and is selected by Glock to produce the finish they desire.

I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.
This myth persists despite the fact that a simple call to Glock confirms that their guns are still being manufactured using the Tenifer process. I spoke with Glock less than a month ago and they made this quite clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.