Glock Talk banner

Glocks are ugly?????

24K views 275 replies 131 participants last post by  mike from st pe 
#1 ·
All i ever hear is how ugly Glocks are...its a brick...how pretty does your hammer need to be...I'm not saying 1911s aren't beautiful but personally i love the look of Glocks. Maybe because I'm a minimalist i like things that are simple and to the point. But when i see a glock at least to me its like the definition of what a handgun should be. If they're so ugly why does everyone have them...our is it just me...

#3 · (Edited)
They are ugly but they are a tool, thats what its about. Many prople have them because they buy a tool and not a fashion statement. Anyone that wants to make a fashion statement should consider matching heels and a purse. Anyone that wants a well working tool buy a glock.

#4 ·
I don't think that Glocks are pretty, but I also don' think that they are ugly.

There are pretty guns, but in all honesty, most self defense type handguns, with the exception of some revolvers, are tools, and do not qualify as objects of beauty to me.

#5 ·
They are plain old squared off plastic guns... not much to look at.

As for the whole "tools" argument that seems to come up every third thread, I find that it's used as a fall back excuse whenever someone has something bad to say about a Glock. It's ugly? So what... it's just a tool. The slide scratches easily? So what... it's just a tool. Your brand new gun came with cosmetic defects when you bought it? So what... it's just a tool. The front of the dust cover pig-noses? So what... it's just a tool. "It's just a tool" ranks right up there with "Mine works fine so it must be your fault".

As for how it looks... Meh. Who cares... it's just a tool anyway.

#8 · (Edited)
As for the whole "tools" argument that seems to come up every third thread, I find that it's used as a fall back excuse whenever someone has something bad to say about a Glock. It's ugly? So what... it's just a tool. The slide scratches easily? So what... it's just a tool. Your brand new gun came with cosmetic defects when you bought it? So what... it's just a tool. The front of the dust cover pig-noses? So what... it's just a tool. "It's just a tool" ranks right up there with "Mine works fine so it must be your fault".
Purely ridiculous comment. Show me where I said anything about cosmetic defects. It has *NOTHING* to do with cosmetic defects, why you invented that is beyond me and even dishonest.

It is what it is, people buy it regardless. Again nothing to do with cosmetic defects. The largest selling gun brand and ugly, are you seriously claiming people are not buying them because hey are tools?

Most adults buy guns because they are tools and if you are buying them to pose on facebook or as a fashion statement then you are in the minority. Accept that and get over it.

Cosmetic defects were not even part of the op's post. Butt hurt posters don't even make it ti every third thread.

All guns are tools, not sure why anyone capable of thought thinks that means you have to live with defects. Totally different thing altogether.

#9 · (Edited)
Exactly. I have never known of anyone buying a glock as a "bbq" gun (not saying 1911's are just bbq guns, love them myself) but as a tool, a business gun. Doesn't have to be beautiful. I have ugly power tools that cost more than glocks, who cares.

Not saying they're pretty by any means, i got mine for reliability durability and the mechanics of it and i know i can trust my life with it, i just don'tget why people trash it so much
Because its a dependable tool. Not sure why the kiddies don't get that.

People trash it in the same way ford and chevy owners trash each other, mac and windows boxes, et. It's not enough to use and like something, many need to trash the other product to feel better. It IS possible to have a bad experience, but tge loudest have never owned the other.

#13 ·
You're confusing me. You're thread questions "are they ugly". You then say you got one because of functionality reasons. Then you say people trash them. Are people trashing their functionality or their looks?

I don't know anyone that says they don't go bang. I know many that aren't moved by their looks, they are utilitarian. You seem to be saying the same thing.

Again, ....confused.

#12 ·
GLOCK beauty lies in its simplicity. Its Spartan look and dependable functionality gives it inherent desirability. :cowboy:

#26 ·
How true and the ability to remove the extractor and other internal parts without hammering on roll pins. No other pistol is easier to maintain. Additionally everyone makes replacement parts, holsters, and upgrades. Nothing quite like it.

As has been said, a 1911 is something you show your friends, a Glock is something you show your enemies.

#15 ·
I personally like how the entire Glock platform looks. To me it's a firearm that simply states "I work and I mean business". Much in the same way I view Rugers as meat and potatos guns. I appreciate how a Glock looks as I do seeing a Ruger SP revolver or M77 bolt gun. I do disagree somewhat that all guns are just tools, although when it comes down to it they all are designed to do one thing.... delivery a projectile to a target. That doesn't mean they can't look nice doing it. I would never consider my dad's Weatherby Mk 5 or Win M12 pigeon grade trap as "just tools". Glocks are guns that if I do get a scratch or a Nick here and there I'm not going to get worked up about it. My Les Baer 1911 wadcutter target gun... that's a whole different story.

Reactions: Toltepeceño
#16 ·
I've never been big fan of the aesthetics of the Glock as they aren't nearly as visually appealing to me as a Beretta 92 or a Browning HP, but I've been shooting them since the late-1990s and have yet to find that combines reliability, weight, practical accuracy, and cost as much as a Glock. Regardless of folks who roll their eyes at the "tool" argument, Berettas aren't as light, Sigs aren't as affordable (good Sigs), BHPs and 1911s aren't as user friendly IMO...for a self-defense tool- I find the Glock hard to beat regardless of how ugly it is.

#17 ·
I've rarely heard anyone say they weren't reliable wasn't talking about functionality at all...I'm just saying things don't have to be ornate with friggin filigree all over it to look good, i didn't buy a glock to turn heads but i like the simple utilitarian look of it...i just think people bash things they are i dare say jealous of... like at work i always hear "my rigid is just as good as your Dewalt"why do u have to say just as good as why not say mines no better than yours...its because my Dewalt sets the standard for performance and durability and they know it

#28 ·
I, Too, have loved the simplicity of a handgun. Be it a revolver, 1911, or long gun.
Why are GLOCKS so iconic of guns on news media reports when they speak to evil guns? Because they have a unique eye catching profile.

#32 ·
Why are GLOCKS so iconic of guns on news media reports when they speak to evil guns? Because they have a unique eye catching profile.
They were that way even before they came to the us. Plastic pistols that could pass airport security. (Lies). They have just stuck with the press since then.

#31 ·
I completely agree i got mine because it was the ONLY pistol that literally covered EVERYTHING i wanted in a handgun not for the looks but i do like as u said they do look mean they just have an aggressive stance i just think it's a bit unfair the way they are judged when xds look like toys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.