close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glocks and Kahrs

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DannyR, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I understand, from a very reliable source, that Kahr is no longer an authorized back-up pistol for the NYPD. I expect a shortage of G26's in the near future, accompanied by a flood of used Kahr 9's.:wavey:

2. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

If this is true, they figured out what I figured out 10 years ago or more.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

3. B_RAD

B_RAD

Please share what you figured out 10 years ago. I ask because I have a PM9 and love it! But I've only had it for a short time and only about 200 rnds with no issues. I think they're great guns. I'd take a glock over a Kahr but I still love my PM9.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I bought an all Metal Kahr 9mm and paid way too much for it. After about 15 rounds of factory ammo 115 grain fmj it just completely froze. Kahr replaced the slide stop, polished the ramp and replaced some broken springs and I could never trust it after that. Had it been one issue, I would have been fine and moved on but it was two or three things. It just hacked me off paying that much for a gun with zero QC checks out the door.

I had a Sig P239 .40 that crapped out in five rounds right out of the box. The take down lever was defective. They turned it around in 5 days and I was fine with it.

5. hunter 111

hunter 111

nonsense , if it worked fine after that

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

once bitten---twice shy!

I felt the same way about charter arms.

7. zenner22

zenner22

The ban has nothing to do with the reliability of the Kahr pistols. It has to do with the pistol's trigger being "so light it's been blamed for a series of accidental discharges," according to the NY Daily News. And how light is this hair trigger they speak of???

7.5 lbs.

NYPD brass wanted Kahr to increase the trigger pull to 13 lbs. The Kahr engineers worked on it for years but concluded it is not possible. So the Kahr pistols are now off the approved list.

It's not training that's the problem. It's always the gun.

Khar reports that since 1997, 5,000 Khars have been sold to NY City police.

8. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

Thanks for the insight. To those who own Kahrs, I hope the outperform beyond your wildest expectations. They sure do feel good in the hand.

9. shockglock

shockglock

I've had a CM9 for about 5 months and have put 350-400 rounds through it without a problem. Absolutely love this gun, will be my primary carry gun when we hit t-shirt weather. I liked the CM9 so much that I bought a CW45 and had nothing but problems. Once Kahr got it cycling properly I got rid of it. Just a personal choice, if it would have been a Glock that had the problems, I would have gotten rid of it too. For me there would always be that thought that it could happen again. I don't understand why the NYPD won't allow Kahrs, I like the trigger pull, but I love a Glocks trigger.

10. METS

METS

If an Officer chooses to he can trade in his Kahr to certain dealers and recieve a brand new Glock 26 for $50 or $100 if they want nite sites.I'm suppose to buy one off one the guys at work when he gets it he's been waiting over a month for it to come in.

11. glock20fanboy

glock20fanboy

Wow, I have a Kahr, and the pull is incredibly smooth, but also incredibly long. Anybody that knows anything about pistols knows the harder you make the trigger pull, the worse you shoot it. So NYPD wants the LEOs to shoot worse than they already do? Crazy.

12. DMAR

DMAR

I've got a PM9, P380, and a CW45. So yes, I like Kahrs. These guns are very well made, top notch. They all have great triggers, and very good sights, accuracy, and ergonomics. I have had zero malfunctions with these guns, and did I say I loved the trigger and accuracy...?

Now, I do understand that some folks have had some reliability issues with their Kahr, but I'm sure that is few and far between. They have tight tolerances, and recommend a 'break-in period.' Some people resent a gun having a recommended 'break-in period,' but that's what you get with Kahr. My three had no issues during the recommended 'break in period,' or after... I can't believe how many people seem to complaining about their new Glocks, because the three that I've bought over the past year/year and a half have also been flawless...

Anyway, not surprised by NYPD dropping a gun because of "accidental discharges," or some people got shot by them. Always convenient to blame the trigger, not the trigger finger. I think they need to have a gun that you have to aim, then enter a 10 digit sequential code, have it co-authenticated via satellite uplink from the command center, before the bullet is able to be fired. I suppose then they would blame the satellite for the "accidental discharges."

One big problem is that the NYC area is such a gun-free, gun averse area. Practically nobody grows up around them, and knows anything about them. Most of these people they hire are absolute Noobs before they become cops. They are not comfortable around guns, and safe gun handling and practice is not something that they've developed over the years. Then they wonder why they have "accidental discharges," or that their officers can't handle a "light trigger." My PM9 trigger will not go off without a deliberate pull. My god, those heavy triggers they use on their Glocks are dangerous, how the heck can you be precise with shot placement when you have to yank on a trigger with a come-along to make it work. Talk about training needs. :nsb: Good grief! :faint:

The other thing is the shear numbers in NYC. Lot's of police officers, lots of occasions to have your gun out. Things happen more often when they happen a lot...

That being said, if the people running that city feel so strongly that people should not be allowed to have guns, have outlawed people carrying guns (except for the rich/connected...), then why do they even need police officers with guns, right? The mayor, and city council all know that people don't need guns to defend themselves. Although, I do remember seeing Mayor Bloomberg on New Years Eve walking by the cameras, and there were 12, yes 12, plain clothes officers/security around him, in addition to the uniformed officers! Really? And you don't let your honest citizens have the right to carry? How does that happen...?

Anyway, Kahrs are nice guns, I recommend you try one. YMMV.

13. jhallen52

jhallen52

Kahr's are fine guns, but I don't want to stop at 6 or 7 shots! I'd much rather have my G26..JMO

14. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I agree. I like the K9 and MK9 very much.

[​IMG]

15. DMAR

DMAR

Yup, you're right, the G26 has that advantage. I have a 26 because of that reason. With the base plate extension, you can even squeeze out an extra round, or two; nice!

I do find myself carrying the PM9 more often, simply because it conceals so much easier, especially in the warm weather months... I still would not want to be on the receiving end of 7 rounds of Speer Gold Dot +Ps!

16. ojabog

ojabog

My local shot stopped carrying Kahr's 45 acp models because of quality issues and customer complaints. They still carry the 9MM's and said they've had very few people come back with issues on the 9MM models.

17. Powerkicker

Powerkicker

My MK9 has been flawless. I like it for pocket carry since my g27 won't do for that in my case.

18. barth

barth six barrels

I have an KM40 Elite 03 myself.
    After a long 400+ round break in - it's flawless.
    Very accurate and controllable for a 3" barrel 40 cal.
    Also very easy to carry and a sweet glassy DAO trigger.
    But 5+1 when my G27 is 9+1???
    Plus now I'm running a 9mm conversion barrel so it's 10+1???

These days my Glock has replaced my Kahr for carry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. smokintonye

smokintonye Instructor

I love my Kahr CM9 about 300 rounds with it, and all is good!

20. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Sorry guys, this has turned into a discussion about Kahrs, which I own and like, but this is General Glocking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.