close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock vs 1911..which is better?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by pzlehr, Oct 29, 2010.

1. pzlehr

pzlehr
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    I own both a few Glocks and 1911's. I love Glocks for simplicity and durability. I love the 1911 for a natural feel when shooting and the way they shoot. Anyway,I am at a sort of crossroads and am considering selling or trading most of my Glocks. I have been shooting a fair amount (for me) lately and I was wondering if anyone had noticed the same thing. I shoot my G19 with WWB (for all guns) and one time I can get 1" groups at 10yds. The next day I get 5-6" groups. When that has happened I switch to one of my 1911's (Kimber Aegis 9mm) and get 1" groups or so...right on the money at the red. With the Glocks (all of them) I shoot low left. I shoot all my 1911's and revolvers right dead center. I always get good groups from all my 1911's all the time....maybe a little variance but not much. My Glocks...good one day,bad the next, always low left.

My question: could it be some people for some reason (trigger control problem,leverage,whatever) don't shoot Glocks well?? Even my RIA 1911's are tack drivers(9mm,45acp and 38 super). I know Glocks are not supposed to be tack drivers, but still..go from 1" to 5" group. I know it's got to be me, I'm just thinking I don't shoot Glocks well and would rather sell them and buy ammo. I am always reading where people say they are shooting Glocks low left...I've done that too only with Glocks.

Anyone have any thoughts? Sorry for the book
    Chuck

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

:faint: :popcorn:

For some REAL fireworks, post this in General Glocking. :whistling:

3. pzlehr

pzlehr
    Expand Collapse

That's why I posted it here...I've asked Glock questions before about my Glocks and I usually get "you need to practice...shoot the gun 500 times first...look at the shooting chart to figure it out, etc. I know all this and my conclusion is... after trying all the well meaning tricks, I just don't shoot them well. I have 2 CZ's ..very accurate on the red...Sigs...same thing...RIA...same thing...my 2 Kimbers, same thing....Glocks to me are variable( I should say I am variable with it), always low left.

Chuck

4. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Chuck,

Glocks are good for what they are; simple combat weapons. They're very reliable and easy for beginners to shoot and maintain. 1911s, on the other hand, have character and personality, and require more maintain, lubrication, and experience. However, they can reward a shooter like no Glock can.

I like Glocks, but LOVE 1911s.

5. TxGun

TxGun
    Expand Collapse

Almost anyone will shoot a 1911 better than a Glock, IME. I know I do...consistently. The 1911 just has more built-in accuracy potential than the Glock does, IMO. That said, you've already noted that, "I shoot my G19 with WWB (for all guns) and one time I can get 1" groups at 10yds", so you aren't consistently shooting your Glock up to it's potential. The Glock is going to be combat accurate, and not much more than that, in most people's hands. That's what it's designed to do. Granted, some can routinely get 2"-3" out of a Glock at 25 yards, but I say that's not the norm. For most good 1911s, in a good shot's hands, that is the norm, and better is common. It's just easier to shoot well, with the trigger probably the biggest single reason. JMOs.

#5 TxGun, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

Like Bac said, Glock makes a great combat weapon. They are not as accurate as 1911's because they are built looser to be more reliable. Some people also dont shoot glocks well because of the hump. It changes the grip angle from the 1911. 1911's need more maintenance, they can be regarded like a BMW. Super engine, probably the best out there but they need care to keep being the best. Where the Glock is more like a Toyota, less maintenance and efficient

7. carloglock19

carloglock19
    Expand Collapse

I sometimes get that low to the left when I shoot my 19 as well no matter how hard I try.

8. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I never shot Glocks all that well.

I plan to get a Gen 4 G34 when they become available and see what happens. :dunno:

9. pzlehr

pzlehr
    Expand Collapse

Well, that answers my question. I've always liked the idea of a gun like the Glock, simple, easy to take apart, beat up, sweat all over it and still come up shooting. But I like being able to hit my target where I intend even better, especially if it's a bad guy. I am going to try one of those MGSL things from TR Graham, but just for one Glock...the others I will sell. Thanks for the input!!
    Chuck

10. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man
    Expand Collapse

You'd have to define "better". Those answers are as varied as the individual that has to depend on it. That said, I've had Glocks on and off for twenty or so years and it does not inspire any more confidence for me than any others, be it 1911, revolver, Beretta,etc. My Glocks never last and always end up being traded or sold for things I know I'll keep. It just so happens that no sidearm in history has stayed in service through two world wars and everything else in between, like our 1911. History as an aside, it has the perfect trigger for precision work, perfect muzzle heft, excellent "ergos" and a balance uncommon in more "modern" fighting pistols. The trigger, balance and muzzle heft are what one would only find in much more expensive "target pistols" today. As soon as you pick it up everything just makes sense and you never have the feeling that it was designed first and foremost with cheap mass production as its first goal.

#10 .45Super-Man, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  11. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

It depends on the 1911 in quesiton and on the shooter. 1911's are in my opinion the best fighting handgun made but I will qualify that. It must be a reliable 1911 usually that means a semi custom or custom gun but not always. And the shooter needs to know how to perform maintance on this weapon and keep it lubed. No handgun is easier to shoot than the 1911 and that is why they dominate in some many areas of competition shooting from Bullseye to USPSA. They are also carried by some of the worlds most respected military units and leo SWAT teams. What makes a 1911 easier to shoot is the trigger system. No other semi auto cab be made to have as nice of a trigger pull with as short of a reset. Some can be as light but none have the same short reset with a straight back pull.

Now for the rank and file who don't give two licks about maintaining their weapons the Glock is a better gun. It can take abuse and neglect better. My favorate pistol is a good 1911 my second favorate is a Glock 17. Of course these are just my opinions.

I will say if I could get a Glock with a 1911 trigger stuck in it I would carry that instead.
    Pat

#11 Alaskapopo, Oct 29, 2010
  12. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

I think the Glock "low left" thing is probably due to the weight(s)? That is: 1) The weight of the gun, and 2) the "weight" of the trigger (trigger pull).

Being a lighter gun, I think it is more susceptible to being affected as the shooter is working the trigger.

When you couple that with the trigger pull of the stock Glock trigger being 5.5 pounds (or more), where many 1911's are probably closer to 3.5 (or less if been worked on?).

Even with my G17... I had a Ghost Rocket Kit in it... pull was probably under 3 pounds. SUPER TIGHT groups. But because I shoot so many GSSF matches, I had to put my Vanek kit back in, which is probably only a 4 pound trigger (GSSF matches require all Glock parts). Anyway, that slight difference in trigger pull translates to less tight groups.

13. GJ1981

GJ1981
    Expand Collapse
    Pitying Fools

I think there could be some things to cause issues for not shooting a Glock well, or any other pistol, but for the most part, I would lean toward a trigger control or similar problem in the shooter.

If you're having problems one day but not the next in your Glock, but then shoot your 1911 well, that would indicate the shooter. Just because your not seeing the problem when shooting your 1911, that doesn't mean there isn't an issue with your trigger control. The lighter pull and shorter travel of a single-action can mask the issue to where you may not realize there's a problem.

I've switched back to a Glock from a 1911 and I will tell you, if you want to shoot a Glock well, you need to shoot the Glock more and not switch between the two.

14. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

...a very true statement.

15. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man
    Expand Collapse

+1. The only thing that makes bologna taste terrible, is that first bite of a good steak.:supergrin:

16. TxGun

TxGun
    Expand Collapse

It really depends on what you want/expect. Most agree the 1991 is a more accurate platform. So if you're intent on consistently tight(er) groups, the 1911 is probably the pistol for you. You've noted several of the Glock's attributes, and they are obviously worthwhile. As are the many attributes of the 1911. The Glock is designed to be "combat accurate" (just look a the big, blocky factory sights!). And don't forget, if you are popping rounds at a "bad guy" beyond the Glock's effective combat range, you are probably asking for major problems from the justice system. So again...depends on what you want/expect. I do agree: what you shoot well and are comfortable with should be your #1 criteria. But I've found both have their individual attractions and both do what they were designed to do very well. JMOs.

#16 TxGun, Oct 29, 2010
  17. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc
    Expand Collapse

I carry a 2010 Dan Wesson CCO 1911 but I keep a Glock 19 and 145 rounds of 9mm in my GHB. Commander length 1911's are my favorite platform, bar none. However, you can't beat the serviceability of a tried and true Glock. Does that help make it clear as mud ?

18. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

:thumbsup: :agree:

19. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux
    Expand Collapse
    Shut your mouth

Man I sure wouldn't. 1911 ergos are as important for me as the trigger. That being said, if they told me I had to carry a Glock starting tomorrow, I would adjust. I guess a good trigger would be nice though.

MF

20. Nestor

Nestor
    Expand Collapse
    Lean & Mean

I had the Glock 17 and 1911.
    I sold my Glock.
    I don't feel any hate toward the plastic pistols - I like them actually.
    The problem is that I just like the steel better.
    Glocks are light, reliable and accurate enough for any, serious job.
    It's all about your preference.
    Get what You like the best.
    There is no "the best" pistol out there.
    It's all about the personal factor.