close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock, The Greatest Pistol Ever Made?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by IrishRifles, May 26, 2012.

1. IrishRifles

IrishRifles

Mar 16, 2012
    Is Glock the greatest pistol ever made? [​IMG]

2. seattlesetters

seattlesetters

May 12, 2012
    PNW
    Not even close. See: Gen 4

A world-class company would never allow these issues in the first place, let alone allow them to continue unchecked for an extended period of time.

Glock had a good thing going but has shown it has very little if any abilility to adapt. Technology and manufacturing acumen is passing them by so rapidly right now that i see them losing their place (eventually ....... old opinions die hard) if things don't change.

I mean, seriuosly, if someone asked you just ten short years ago if S&W, Springfield and Walther would all be making polymer pistols that eat all kinds of ammo perfectly and that Glock owners would be relagated to blaming the same ammo those other pistols have no problem with for all their malfunctions, would you have believed it?

A while ago .... maybe. Today, and I really hate to say it, but Glock is very second rate.

Last edited: May 26, 2012

3. No. I think that would be John Brownings 1911 ; )

4. SauerChoi

SauerChoi

Aug 12, 2011
    Glock was big because it was the best bang for the buck pistol out there. now that XD and M&Ps have hit the market, they are losing that battle as well.

5. IrishRifles

IrishRifles

Mar 16, 2012
    Comparing equal models side by side, wouldn't you say it would pass the 'Pepsi Challenge' though? :dunno:

6. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    Yes in short the overall performance and design it is the best ever!

7. SauerChoi

SauerChoi

Aug 12, 2011
    sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say. :dunno:

What I'm saying is that Glock was a sole contender in the 500 dollar polymer pistol arena. Now that they lost some of that to the competitors, they have lost some steam.

8. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles

I think it's definitely up there as one of the most important designs, and it's certainly been hugely influential in shaping the course of pistol development. I'm thinking late production Gen 2 G17 was about the peak of Glock perfection. Just my 2 cents, keep the change. :supergrin:

9. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

Jan 12, 2011
    I totally agree with this. :supergrin:

10. smitty704

smitty704

Aug 18, 2011
    NC
    No. MY G19 g4 is THE best pistol in the world.

11. IrishRifles

IrishRifles

Mar 16, 2012
    The Glock, compared to the two brands you mention I mean.
    You never heard of taking the Pepsi challenge?

12. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes. It is the best at doing what a handgun is designed for.

13. Sgt127

Sgt127

Nov 5, 2002
    Texas
    All in all, the Glock 19 may be one of the finest handguns around if you base it on all the criteria. Reasonably accurate, very reliable, highly rust resistant, lightweight, good capacity to weight ratio and durability. Add in price, and Glock takes a pretty good lead. (i picked the 19 as I think its the best Glock made, others have thier own favorite, I can't argue with thier choice, they are all pretty close)

Others are a little more accurate.
    Have morei visual appeal.
    Better ergonomics.
    Better triggers.

We'll see if in 50 more years if the polymer starts breaking down, that would hurt the "greatest pistol ever made" title.
    Will they fall apart? Probably not, I just don't see the Glock as an heirloom, just a tool.

I have 70 year old Smith revolvers that are still perfect.

14. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

Feb 15, 2012
    Minneapolis
  15. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Apr 8, 2004
    SWPA sticks
    Another vote

16. Priapism

Priapism

Jan 22, 2012
    It is the most copied gun ever made.

17. nope. doesn't even win that. 1911 far and away.

18. clancy

clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    There is a lot of room on that list, pistols that were around far longer than Glock. 1911's and High-Powers are at the top of the last. Add revolvers, and you have Python's, S&W Model 19's and 27"s.