Glock Talk banner

Glock Tactical Light....

9K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  RayB 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a GTL-1o for my Glock 23, are these lights pretty durable, long lasting etc . . . ?

Thanks

#4 ·
Im very fond of my insight wx150. It stays on my glock 17. The light itself dosent stick out as far as the gtl or trl, and I think it looks better than the gtl and the tlr. Its rated at 150 lumens, shock-proof and water resistant to 10 meters/30 ft, and comes with a limited lifetime warranty. I got mine back when they could be had for $130-135. Now their like $160-169ish.

#6 ·
Even Glock employees (in an armorers class) admitted that the Glock lights are "junk" and one should go with a streamlight or surefire. That being said, I like my Glock light/laser and it is just as reliable as the Glock itself! They basically said that the technology that they use in those lights are about 10 years behind the other companies mentioned.

#7 ·
Even Glock employees (in an armorers class) admitted that the Glock lights are "junk"...
I'm not going to call that a lie or even gross exageration, but it sure is bull****. The Glock tactical lites are perfectly fine. I have a 10 and a 21; they do exactly what they're supposed to--illuminate what they're pointed at, and in the case of the 21, provide a bright-red laser dot to aim with...and the laser stays sighted in.

#8 ·
I'm not going to call that a lie or even gross exageration, but it sure is bull****. The Glock tactical lites are perfectly fine. I have a 10 and a 21; they do exactly what they're supposed to--illuminate what they're pointed at, and in the case of the 21, provide a bright-red laser dot to aim with...and the laser stays sighted in.

I actually agree with you. I felt that guy was wrong when he said it. I have a GTL 21 and it works great, and does exactly what it's supposed to. Plus, I like having a light/laser for my Glock that is made by Glock.

#9 ·
As others have said, you will find mixed reviews. We issue them at my agency. I have only ever had to send one back to Glock and that was one that was issued to an Officer who's primary duties are on the police boat, 12 hours a day, 7 days out of every 2 weeks.

There are agencies that have experienced reliability problems with the guns when other models of lights were attached. Thus far, I have not seen a malfunction related to the GTL.

#13 ·
They are considerably dimmer then other lights on the market, additionaly there really aren't many holsters available for them. Both are why I wouldn't buy one, some will say its a nightstand gun and holster isn't needed to which I frankly say bull as only having the option to hold it or set it down somewhere is just not very well thought out. In the end they aren't cheap enough to justify in my mind. Oh and as a side note the armorers course I took also had the in..............structor saying they kinda sucked..............................

#16 ·
No where did I say I would choose aesthetics over function... I said I wouldn't use that particular light because it's ugly. Maybe I should have included also because there are way better products out for less money.

#17 ·
I've had a love affair with my Insight M3X for about 9 months now. 125 lumens of bright white incandescent-xenon color temperature. I love the way it shines and the color rendering of this particular light. I was lucky enough to grab one of the last ones in stock before they discontinued them.

#19 ·
No where did I say I would choose aesthetics over function... I said I wouldn't use that particular light because it's ugly. Maybe I should have included also because there are way better products out for less money.

Well I won't argue that there are better products out there, but your statement basically means that no matter how good the GTL is, you wouldn't buy it cause its ugly.

#22 ·
My favorite tac lights are the Insight Procyon XTi, Blackhawk Xiphos, and TLR-1 in that order (all led). The Procyon is the brightest, and the Blackhawk is the lightest. You hardly notice a weight difference with the Blackhawk.

#23 ·
LED-based illuminators are the way to go. They have a much longer service life and consume far less energy than even the best incandescent light bulbs do, and they're nearly impervious to shock. With that, I've got two SureFires--an X200A and X200B--and an Insight XTI Procyon.

The X200A throws a tight spot beam, and would easily double as a targeting designator on a shotgun.

The X200B throws a flood beam, and easily lights an entire room.

The WX150 throws a flood beam that easily rivals the SureFire.

For best quality, I'd have to say the SureFire X300.

For best bang-for-the-buck, I'd have to say the WX150.

The SureFire X200 A&B were replaced by the current X300...

The Insight XTI Procyon was replaced by the current WX150...

The latter version of the TLR-1 C4 is also a good weapon light at a great price, but it's not as "hardened" as the X300 or WX150 is. Still, any of the above-mentioned weapon lights would serve perfectly well on a bedside gun.

Here are a few pics of guns with lights and lasers... All of these configurations were live-fire range-tested, and all work flawlessly...

--Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.