Glock says to clean before shooting...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ditto1958, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Glock says in their manuals to clean a new Glock before shooting it. So why is this still debated so much? About the most common one I read is to fire it 250 rounds first, and then clean it.

Frankly, from all the videos I've seen where people intentionally abuse and torture Glocks, it probably makes little or no difference what you do.

On the other hand, I just don't see why someone would intentionally abuse something that cost $500-600, and that also might be something they need to depend on to save a life.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    I ordered new sights and received one Glock says they don't make!! Sights, Optics and Lasers Jun 23, 2015
    Glock Says Carry With Empty Chamber: Legal Implications? Carry Issues Jun 7, 2015
    Glock says... "magazines not defective" General Glocking Jun 11, 2014
    Glock Deconstructed for iBooks says Gen4's were built as .40's? General Glocking Mar 30, 2014
    Glock Factory Night Site says "Tru Dot" ? Sights, Optics and Lasers Jan 4, 2010

3. barth

barth six barrels

Early on I used to just buy a gun.
    Load it and shoot it.
    Just didn't know any better and never had a problem.

These days I clean and lube any new gun before I shoot it.
    And I carry all my handguns.

#2 barth, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Agree x1000
    some people are just really stupid
  5. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

Don't feel bad or alone. I always clean, too. With the Glocks, just don't clean the copper-colored paste stuff (type of never seize...) and let it just wear off.

Clean and lube as much as you want.
  6. All you need to do is pop out the barrel spray it down with Ballistol let it soak for 10 minutes and reun a few wet patches thru it and 2 dry patches. Put oil on the barrel where it needs to be and your done. When they say you need to clean it when it's new they are talking about the barrel, sometimes there's grease or other assy stuff can get in there etc. So it's a good idea to start with a clean barrel. Dont touch anything else, leave the copper grease and go put 200 rounds thru it to break it in, then you can strip it apart and go thru it if you want.
  7. This is my method.
  8. This ☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝
  9. Bruce M

I agree that following the manual is probably the best method, and since the gun is new the inside of the barrel is the focus of cleaning.
  10. I clean any gun before firing it the first time. This lets me look at it first just to make sure it is ok. Never have found anything wrong but I just like to make sure.

11. I cleaned mine, and used small amounts of grease where the manual told me to. I shot 30 rounds and the gun was still very clean.
  12. I believe that Glock would like you to make sure there is no obstruction, in the bore. There could be a dirt dobber nest in there, since it left the factory. Too much grease, in the bore can also cause a KB, because it looks like an obstruction, to a speeding bullet. An oily chamber allows more force, on the breech face, because the shell case doesn't grip the chamber walls, as tightly. Remove lube from the chamber, before firing.
  13. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

I'm not sure I've ever pre-cleaned mine before shooting the first time. Maybe that's why all my Glocks have been 100% reliable. :dunno:
    #12 Opie 1 Kenopie, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  14. Field strip, inspect, lube if needed, assemble, shoot.

15. Always clean and lube a new gun before firing.
  16. Lol....same here.
  17. I took my 19, ran a bore brush through it, followed by a mop, put it back together and shot it. Put about 200 rounds through it, then yesterday I field-stripped it, scrubbed it, lubed it, and it should be good until I feel like doing it again.
  18. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

i usually always clean before shooting a new glock but i just got another 17 the other day and was on my way to fireatms training. Never cleaned it and it shot really good. It is a THZ*** gen3 numbered gun too....
  19. Vincent Black

Vincent Black Need a cup?

I field stripped mine, checked the barrel, and then shot it's first 100 rounds through it.
  20. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

All those commas make it look like William Shatner is talking.

And why does a case need to "grip" anything?
  21. OK, dum-mum, if you lubricate, the chamber, the case, will exert more, force, on the breech face. More, Force, in pounds, the case will, push harder, against the, breech face. Because, lube, makes stuff, slick. The case expands, against, the chamber walls, when the explosion happens. The case wall, will grip the chamber, wall, and resist pushing, to the rear, against thee breech face, if there is no lube there. :snoopy:
    Who does it look like now?