close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock + RMR video

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by jamesavery22, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jamesavery22

jamesavery22

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern VA
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Seems to me a better option would be a wraparound piece of metal, secured by screws set into tapped holes in the top and sides of the slide.

That is a nice, clean look though.

3. jamesavery22

jamesavery22

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern VA
    A piece of metal that wrapped around the RMR and the slide in addition to the standard RMR mounting holes?

The standard setup w/ the socket head cap screws that come with that RMR seem pretty tough. Beat the hell out of it, a fair amount last Thurs & Fri at Tactical Response fighting pistol(dropping, racking off the RMR, etc). Have had no issues.

4. Genin

Genin Designated Left

Oct 25, 2010
    Bloomsburg PA
    Excellent jamesavery! You should start offering that service at a fair price. I'd take you up on it especially if you made some kind of a cover plate for when you don't want the RMR mounted, similar to the FNP Tac.

5. jamesavery22

jamesavery22

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern VA
    Thanks Genin. I don't see any time in the near future where I'd have the bandwidth for anything like that. My quality isn't up to par with the big names either. My little side projects are all I have time for right now. Which are very fun :)

6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    jamesavery22, that's a very courageous do-it-yourself project to undertake. Thanks for documenting your work. It makes one appreciate the time and skill required to do this job with beautiful, like factory, results and repeat it over and over. I bet that Tenifer hardness is tough on your milling equipment.

When I shot a pistol with RDS the first time, it really struck me how much movement on the target I had been experiencing with iron sights and not realizing it. It's a great aid to training and not something to try after too much coffee.

I thought you guys would enjoy this video of Russell Phagan at the 2011 MGM Targets Ironman 3 Gun Match using an OST RMR-equipped Glock 34 9mm with a milled slide and co-witness BUIS. Don't miss the scene (1:55 mark) where he shoots while traveling down a zip line!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTtn1nf8E0&feature=player_embedded

Russell finished in the top five among 26 competing in Trooper Class. You can read more in his After Action Report at the following link:

http://sinistralrifleman.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/ironman-2011-after-action-report/

7. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    James,
    I am impressed. Without your mill, I paid OST to do it, and they, too, nicked the safety plunger channel. Not sure it could be moved rearward enough to avoid the nick without compromising the dovetail. Maybe Bowie's preferred location of the rear BUIS forward of the sight would afford more leeway, albeit with a lesser ability to visually pick up the irons. I will say that OST's cut (presumably CNC), matches the front profile of the RMR exactly. LWD's effort for one GT member was just a straight cut -- not nearly as good as yours, and THEY considered it commercial quality. I understand your reluctance to do it for others; sounds as if you billed at a fair rate for your time, it would be prohibitively expensive. Of course, you could use this as justification for a CNC mill.

I don't know if you are concerned, but the width of the 9mm slide is insufficient to totally seal against the gasket in the RMR, and the sight overhangs the slide ever so slightly. OST uses a piece of tape to "seal" the battery compartment, but I didn't feel that was sufficient. I obtained a part from the Trijicon Glock dovetail mount kit -- the thin (shim-stock thin) cover for the compartment -- and it works beautifully. Both from a sealing, and an appearance perspective (when viewed from below), it is an improvement. Not surprisingly, Gabe was not receptive to my suggestion that OST consider this enhancement.

8. jamesavery22

jamesavery22

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern VA
    Thanks everyone. I've seen some of SinistralRifleman's vids before. Not that one until now. Thanks for the link that looks like a blast! Zipline thing is hilarious. Would love to do that.

bentbiker, thanks for the info on the seal. I'll look for that shim.

9. jamesavery22

jamesavery22

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern VA
    Hrm looks like this video got me banned from warriortalk.com.

Wonder if I accidentally posted it on their forum after a few drinks :)

10. jamaicanj

jamaicanj

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    Getting banned for sharing your vid...not cool on their part.

11. you know that wasn't why he got banned...I would imagine that it was because they offer a competing product...

Bill

12. Genin

Genin Designated Left

Oct 25, 2010
    Bloomsburg PA
    That is incredibly lame, it's because you showed how to the a process they charge copious amounts of money for and didn't want the competition. WarriorTalk is forum for Mr. Suarez's business, be it products or training, and shouldn't be confused for any other purpose.

you're welcome here jamesavery!

13. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Feb 2, 2007
    Gun Tot'n in Quohog
    Perfect. The "Time to Shoot" portion proved the results. Thanks!!!

14. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Feb 4, 2011
    Hoover, AL
    WOW! I can't imagine anything being more fun. I would pay lots of money to be able to shoot in a place like that. That was incredible.

15. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    Nice work. I did tool & die before the recession, miss the old Bridgeport mill.
    Thinking of the dual illuminated RMR for my 29.

16. Magsz

Magsz

Apr 3, 2011
    I believe and i may be wrong, that OST also mills in locating pins.

This keeps the RMR absolutely, 100% solid and offers true return to zero.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Having said all of this, awesome, thanks for providing the community a great place to start! Very nice work.

17. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
  18. John Eastwood

John Eastwood

Mar 14, 2011
    That guy is good. Burris FastFire II on the incoming G17 coming soon...can't wait.