Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Glock Magazines

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fuzzyduck, May 16, 2011.

1. fuzzyduck

Jan 10, 2007
    Ok, so probably a stupid question. But ill just go for it. The environment I have been working lately has exposed myself and my duty gear to significant fine dust/sand. I have noticed that my magazines sound a bit "crunchy" when I was checking a round out and showing my wife what it looked like. Well like a good investigator, I wanted to see what the problem was, so I started feeding out rounds by hand, and then no more fed until I tapped the mag. This could be bad in some situations obviously.

This led me to believe that there is some dust in there and I need to clean out the inside of the magazine.

That being said, how would I go about it? Any further advice I can take and keep myself safe?
  2. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I would take the mag apart and clean it

I hadnt looked at that yet its just a google search when I googled taking apart glock mag.

Might wanna put this in General Glocking sure the guys have a video that will show you proper way to take one apart. I know getting the base plate off can be kinda tricky.
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

3. blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    I worked in the high desert north of Phoenix and I found that a compressed air tank with nozzle cleaned out grit in magazines well.
  4. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    This is supposed to be the cat's pajamas for cleaning Glock mags. That said, I have no experience with it, but some people that I trust very highly recommend it
  5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Cleaning magazines is an acceptable part of end-user maintenance.

Follow the instructions for disassembly on the linked site to take them apart. I clean mine by swabbing them out with a rag...more surface area than a mag brush and cheaper.
  6. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    Glock mags are a 3 person deal unless you have some trick. If I have to deal with them as part of being an armorer I grab someone and tell the to pinch the mag body while I deal with the rest.
  7. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I've never had much trouble disassembling them except for maybe the first time or two a mag is taken apart.
  8. wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    Hmm.. I just stick the armorer's tool in the bottom. It pops the little plastic part at the bottom sideways, and I squeeze with my left hand and use my right thumb to press against the body while holding the tool & floor plate in my right hand. It's not the easiest job, but I've never had to get another person to help with it.

Jan 10, 2000
    Middle TN

10. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    Ditto this. Easy as pie.
  11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Easy as pie X 2!!

12. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    I have small fingers. Small enough that a Glock trigger is as far as I can reach. It's just easier for me to to have someone squeeze while I deal with the baseplate.
  13. Base plate removal takes one second. Literally.

Yes, clean your mags. No, don't oil them (yes indeedy, had zealous young stud officer do that on occasion).
  14. EOD3

Oct 19, 2000
    Wear safety glasses the first few times. :embarassed:
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Well I must be a giant puss because I have a helluva time getting the baseplates off...
  16. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I about lost an eye the first time I field stripped a 1911. I was reading the directions while taking it apart. Turned the bushing and read "CAUTION:..." and then took the recoil spring plug right in the eyebrow...gun had a FLGR, so it was hollow, and the edge actually cut me. Took about ten minutes to find the damn thing.
  17. rudeboy3

Feb 19, 2011
    Haha I did the same exact thing with my 1911, I had a nice sized bleeding cut on my eyebrow.
  18. As others have said, cleaning a mag is part of basic maintenance. Popping the baseplate on a Glock mag is easy if you know what you are doing, a nightmare if you don't. If you don't, find someone that does know and have them show you.
  19. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    In my experience the most common mistake people make when trying to disassemble a Glock magazine is that they fail to push the magazine insert (factory schematic part #32A) far enough up into the magazine body in order to free up and release the external lock tabs that hold the magazine floor plate (part #32) in place.

The first time you take a floor plate off can be a real, 'bugger'. First time out, I'll use a pair of large adjustable pliers with padded plastic jaws that I got from Sears.

I'll push the insert plate up out of the way by inserting my armorer's tool through the hole in the floor plate the way you usually do; and, then, I'll apply the jaws to the magazine's body and squeeze just hard enough to get the floor plate to come loose.

As long as the insert plate is up and out of the way you should be fine. After the first time all you need to do is push your armorer's tool through the hole in the floor plate and give it a good jerk towards the front.
    Last edited: May 17, 2011