close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Magazine Light

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by albinlee, Jul 30, 2010.

1. albinlee

albinlee

May 6, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the magazine baseplate made by Glock which fits a small flashlight? I am considering getting one, as a temporary use for HD until I can afford a real rail mounted light. I have a Glock 19 and would be putting a Quark 123 on the mount. Seems like a pretty clever setup, not totally ideal but workable, until I am no longer a broke ass college student. I currently value practice ammo most highly, so my other wants are put in line. :upeyes: Hopefully I can get a nice streamlight or insight someday.

My most important concerns about the baseplate are: The angle at which it aims the flashlight, is it aligned with the barrel? Also, if anyone has one handy, what is the diameter of the mount (roughly)?

2. Lampshade

Lampshade

May 11, 2010
    Eh, I'd imagine the price of such an item, especially with shipping would be a significant percent of the cost of a regular light.

I'd suggest just saving up and getting a regular rail mounted light. You can get a TLR-3 for like $65 online.

3. albinlee

albinlee

May 6, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    The part is less than 10 dollars and free shipping, that way i could buy 250 rounds 9mm as well. See where Im going with this? :supergrin:

4. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Jun 25, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Look at it this way... you mount it on one magazine, then you change magazines and.... NO light...

5. jmb79

jmb79

Sep 27, 2001
    Wyoming
    You would do better to hold the flashlight in you weak hand and use one of the several tried and true methods of shooting with a light and pistol in you hands (i.e., Harries, FBI, Surefire).

6. [​IMG]

It is a workable temporary solution. I figure that if I am needing a second magazine on a HD G19, I am in deep stuff. And, it is better than nothing. As you can see from the picture, on the G19, the floor plate, and thus the light, aims slightly downward. However, the beam of the light on most torches is usually wide enough to do the job. Note, that the picture above exaggerates the problem because the gun itself is pointing downward slightly.

When you ask about the diameter of the mount, I'm guessing you mean the max diameter of the flashlight it will receive. If so, it is just over 15/16". And I believe that leaves enough room for a piece of rubber to tilt the flashlight more in line with the barrel. If, for some reason, you are asking about the outside diameter, that would be just over 1 1/8".

Since returning both of my laser/light combo units, I'm using it for HD.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Had one, tried it, sold it. I prefer to use a hand held Surefire.

8. albinlee

albinlee

May 6, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Your help is greatly appreciated! I have practiced weak hand flashlight drills endlessly, yet feel a mounted light would be best. My Quark is about a shy 7/8 inch, so it sounds promising! also, the spill beam on the quark is awesome, so the angle should be acceptable. disappointing they didn't align it with the barrel, i mean seriously :faint:

9. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Aug 27, 2006
    CT
    But....but....but....what would it look like on the bottom of a 33rd mag? :wow:

10. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Aug 27, 2006
    CT
    Should add that I use the glock light on one of my glocks. It was like $50. For HD, the light output is enough for me. I know there are better options out there, but in my opinion not for the price and as I said, for HD it's acceptable to me.

11. dan1leg

dan1leg

Jun 1, 2005
    Georgia

I had one and got rid of it when 3rd gen with rails came out. A novelty now. Rail mount is only way to go. If I had gen 1 or 2 again it might be worth it, but it was kind of sketchy to use.

12. JoshK

JoshK

Dec 5, 2009
    Austin, TX
    +1 to this