close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock light trigger spring PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by tercel89, Feb 5, 2010.

1. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    I am so confused as to all kinds of Glock trigger springs that make the trigger light and all . I have searched and all and got SSSOOOOO confused with all the crap .
    My questions is this : What is the most RELIABLE light weight trigger spring that is available for a G-17 ? And while we are on it , a G-26 .
    I want something that is very light yet RELIABLE .
    I have carried a Glock since 1994 and have had the stock triggers and my brother got into Ruger 10/22's and he is putting incredible light triggers in them . Very awesome and so I thought I should do this to my Glocks.
    Any help is appreciated :cool:

2. Dingus

Dingus

Mar 19, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    For reliability, you best bet is a factory "-" connector. It will reduce trigger pull by about 1#.

3. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    what is a" factory "-" connector. "

4. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
  5. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    No offense....but you probably are better off not messing with your trigger.Take it to a Glock Armorer or gunsmith.

ETA:"Very light" trigger pull in a carry gun is a very bad idea.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  6. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Mar 21, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    +1 on both counts.

7. MAJORSDAD

MAJORSDAD

Aug 11, 2007
    Right behind you!
    Just get one of the factory 3.5 lb connectors and that will give you a little lighter but reliable trigger pull.

8. Jager1147

Jager1147

Nov 17, 2002
    Ronkonkoma, NY
    If the gun is a range or target gun, a Wolff 4lb. striker spring along with a lightened striker will be reliable, but stock strikers are best with heavier springs. You need to know how springs affect each other in the Glock before you start tinkering.

Check here http://vanekcustom.com/index.html for drop in triggers and parts.

9. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    A "-" connector is 4.5lb. A "+" connector is 8.5lb. The markings can be found at the top of the connector. The standard connector, which has no markings, is 5.5lb

10. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    I can and do detail strips all my glocks one time every year so I am very familiar with the parts , just not the names.

11. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    I have never pulled the trigger on a 3.5lb trigger in a glock before . Does it get rid or reduce that last bit of creep and poundage just as the striker is about to release?

12. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    Also , I dont want it to be so light that it will cause a light primer strike or is that possible ? Doesnt look like it would since the striker has its own spring .

13. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    see my previous post for the designation of the parts you are asking about and ,no, neither an OEM 3.5lb or Glock 4.5lb connector, will, in my opinion get rid of or reduce that last "bit of creep and poundage just as the striker is about to release".

14. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    SOrry about sounding dumb , I just found out what you were talking about regarding the "-" and "+" .

So you think the 4.5 will make that big of a difference ?
    I need to find an animation of how the connector functions. To me , so far , it looks like the coonector just sits still and holds tension on the trigger spring . Is this coorect ? If so or not , then how does the connector control trigger poundage ?

15. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    No,Tercel, I do NOT think it will make that BIG of a difference, but it WILL reduce the tension by about 1lb. Read my post again.

As far as control is concerned, if you were able to put all three connectors side by side you would notice a slightly different angle of the metal at the top

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  16. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    Oh ok , so when standing side by side they will have different angles or so ? So this causes the same spring in all 3 configurations to have different tensions ?

17. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    That is my understanding, yes.

18. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    thanks , you been a big help :cool: And you other guys too .

19. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

Sep 8, 2000
    DFW Area, TX
    The coil trigger spring in the Glock actually pulls on the trigger in the direction of the trigger pull and therefore a lighter trigger spring will actually make the trigger pull harder. If you want to lighten the trigger pull by altering the trigger spring you will have to go to an extra power trigger spring. That's not the whole story but that's a start.

You could also alter the firing pin spring but I personally don't think that's such a good idea for a self-defense gun. Especially not for a self-defense gun owned by a person who doesn't have even the most basic knowledge of how the system he's altering works.

The connector ramp slope has zero effect on trigger spring tension, the different slope on the ramps affects how much force is required to move the trigger bar down out of engagement with the firing pin lug. A steeper slope means less mechanical advantage and therefore a harder pull. A more gentle slope means more mechanical advantage and therefore a lighter pull.

If you have GOT to alter something you can change out the connector for a "-" connector. It won't make a huge difference (which is probably a good thing) but it will make the trigger a little lighter. You can find procedures on youtube that will show you how to swap out the connector. Some of them are even reasonably accurate but some leave out important information and some demonstrate improper techniques--like simply hammering pins out of the frame.

My advice to you is to go buy a 10/22 and have your brother put an "incredible light trigger" in it for you and leave your Glock alone. The trigger arrangement that came in your Glock is adequately light for a self-defense gun and is not an impediment to practical accuracy for anyone who is willing to put in a little bit of practice time at the range.

20. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Well said!