Glock Instructors Course

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by pal2511, Feb 22, 2012.

1. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

Anyone been to the Glock Instructor's course? Our very small department is possibly going to be sending someone to the class and I have thought about it. I did the Glock armorers class quite some time back and it has lapsed since then.

After the person goes to the class they will become the departments firearm instructor.

I don't have a problem teaching people I think but my problem lies with the fact I am not a superb shooter. By my department's averages I am just about in the middle.

What do you guys think...go for it or not?

I doubt I would get a pay increase or anything. Basically it looks like I am going to get a few days off of the road and get to shoot a lot of ammo.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I went, enjoyed it, learned some good drills and such.

But doesn't KS have some POST certifcation or process to become an instructor? I'm having a hard time believing that just a 3-day workshop gets you the creds.

3. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

hmmm not sure. I am just going by what the email said that was sent to everyone. I will have to check that out.

Good point and there might be something cheaper at the academy.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I'll give a broader answer, then. If you're going to be your departmen's instructor, get more training. You're the guy who's going to be the default expert witness when the department is sued for negligent failure to train, and you are going to be on the short list of targets when there's a question about justification in use of deadly force. You don't want your training and creds to consist of only this. At a minimum, get NRA certification in LE pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Good luck. It is a fun class.

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

My opinion:

There are two components to being a successful firearms instructor. First, you must be a good fundamental shooter. You need to understand and be able to apply the seven fundamental skills and you need to be able to do it consistently. Second, you must be a good teacher. You need to understand adult learning, methods of instruction, etc. I know a lot of good shooters that are bad teachers and a lot of bad shooters that are great teachers. I can't think of but a few from those groups that are firearms instructors.

Between the two, I think you had best have your firearms skills dialed in before taking on an instructor role. They're generally going to be looking for people with ability in that area, with the intention of developing their instructor skills. My FI school required 90% handgun and shotgun qualification scores on day one or you went home. They required them on day ten (the last day) or you didn't get your certificate. In between those days, we shot a lot (because the instructor NEVER gets to shoot!), but the real learning for a lot of guys was the instructor development portion of the class.

If your state doesn't have an approved course already, I would look at taking a more general instructor course, such as those offered by the NRA. Not that there is anything wrong with Glock's school, but I believe the instructor workshop is two or three days where most FI schools are a week or two.

Just my two cents.

6. F_G

F_G
    Expand Collapse

In my department the old, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach." did not apply. If you couldn't shoot well, you couldn't be a instructor. It's been years ago, but instructors actually had to attain a higher certification score to even be selected as an instructor and then continue to shoot that higher score to retain certification. We used the NRA certification courses.

7. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

With us, all instructors must shoot a 100 at each qual. Also must complete some kind of state required teaching certification (for high school/college level teaching). Whenever there's an OIS, someone from the range goes to the scene to assess the shooting, LEO's tactics & responses, etc... Armorer checks out the OIS gun to make sure no modifications, no malfunction with weapon. Probably a hundred other things to do.

I don't know how (training, certification, etc...) range guys become expert witnesses.

#7 Patchman, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. mmercil

mmercil
    Expand Collapse

I took the handgun instructor developement course this year. It was aimed at current instructors and required proof of instructor qualifications at registration. Its designed to further develop your skills; not certify you.

9. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

We sent a guy to KLETC to become a range master/handgun instrutor last year. A lot of shooting and misses were not healthy for your further attendance and compeltion.

He went a week, came home stressed and with homework. Several months later, he went another week and came back an instructor.

They send you a target and an outline for the course. They tell you to get 95%, or better, or don't show up. Guess what you do first thing the first day....yep, and you must shoot 95% to stay.

They have a lot of people flunk out between the beginning and the end.

I would imagine the GLOCK course would be good as a supplement to another course, but as your only creds for a department firearms instructor, I see a big door opening to the L word.

I'm sure KLETC won't be asking you to guest instruct without a "better" class; namely, theirs or another 40-80 hours class with a more difficult curriculum.

*All of this is second hand and what I remember him telling me. You should probably call KLETC and get their take.