close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock Hunting? How's This for Proof?!?!?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 10mmGuy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

May 8, 2001
    MN
    Got this big boy last night! I was using DT's 165gr GS. I'll give the whole story after season.

2. hcook

hcook

Apr 20, 2002

3. Wow! Very nice!

What kind of sights are on your G20?

4. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

May 27, 2001
    I must also Amen the statement... Nice Buck.... looks like it's time to prepare to start hunting deer again after a 6 year sebatical. I am also interested on your setup on your 10 mm .....can't wait to hear your specs. (I have a GSSF certificate coming and am thinking about a 10 mm).

5. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Roanoke, VA
    Great Buck!!! Congrat's!! I've been thinking about the Glock 20 a lot lately and using it for hunting... you pic didn't help :( ;f

6. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

I was going to get a 10mm just for the same purpose.
    Nice job!!
    As soon as I saw the buck I knew you were from the Great White North. The deer folks shoot down south (NO disrespect intended, please) as so small. They look like german shepherds with a big rack.
    I registered my deer in Vining, Mn where the big buck contest was happening. The monster that won was a 14 pt buck with a dressed weight of 310 lbs!!
    Did you get a weight on yours?

7. {They look like german shepherds with a big rack.}

(LOL) more like a great dane with a small rack

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Mar 1, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    Has to be.

9. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    Great shot and a very nice buck. The 10mm is a very impressive round.

Regards,
    Glen

10. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    Deer hunting in Iowa (I'm moving there next month) is restricted to pistols, shotguns, and muzzleloaders.
    I was thinking about getting a handgun for hunting deer, and was considering a single-action or revolver.
    The idea of hunting with a G20 or G29 seems quite appealing...

11. Hey, do they allow a 14" or 16" Thompson Contender/Encore in .30-30, .35rem, .308, etc? Scope one of those babies and you'll have a mini-rifle.

12. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    I remember from the regs that they listed the specific "pistol" calibers that were allowed for deer, and I know for sure that .45-70 was one of them. I'll have to check the regs and see what else is allowed.

13. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Jan 26, 1999
    So, you folks got 275# german shepherds up there in the white, barren, Gawd-forsaken Nawth?

14. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

May 8, 2001
    MN
    Here's the link to an update on my hunt if anyone is interested. ;f

15. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Excellent story.

Look, you bagged your deer and did it as efficiently as possible.

BTW - missing the mark happens a lot.

The key is put the animal down fast and harvest it!

16. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    Looks like a very healthy, well proportioned deer with a good rack. You obviously have a 6" or longer barrel, how does it chronograph with the DT loads? Don

17. I don't want to make the shooter feel bad, but perhaps we can discuss the shots taken and how it could be better in the future:

1. You shot with loads you didn't sight in ahead of time? Always sight in your hunting load so you know exactly where it hits, and the distance you can shoot.
    2. You shot at 65 yards? That is a long ways for a handgun. Especially if you haven't sighted in with that specific load. It can be done, but as the distance increases then so does the risk. How good is the shooter? We all have to establish our limits. Here I just want to point out that most shooters reading this should not assume 65 yards is close enough for handgun hunting.
    3. You worked well to get the deer you had initially shot. Waiting is good if the deer takes off out of your sight. But you have shown that if the deer is still there, then follow-up shots are a must to make sure you put down a wounded deer.
    4. The non-fatal neck shot doesn't speak too well for the 10mm. Don't know if the .44 hollow points I use would have done better with that shot. What would a .30-06 soft point have done with that neck shot?