Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Glock High cap Mag in Kalifornia

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by mosca, Aug 27, 2007.

  1. mosca


    Jan 10, 2007
    cerritos calif 90716
    question? I live in good old kalifornia and would like to post this question concerning high capacity magazines.I was at the costa mesa gun show this weekend and saw 33 round magazines for glock 9mm for sale? I was under the impression that we here in Kalifornia were not allowed to have these magazines or any other high caps.These magazines were not put together but were parts (magazine, spring and the small cap in the end)to put together yourself. I did not know we could buy these parts and combine theme to make a usable mag or am i wrong?if I put one together is it legal? I shoot SSA and having more rounds in the mag would be nice
    THANK YOU for your comments in advance

    :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

    ALL THE WAY :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
  2. M4inCA

    M4inCA pho_kit_all

    Dec 24, 2006
    Southern Tip of the PRK
    This really belongs in the state section, but....

    In the great state of Commifornia, you are not allowed to purchase or import or manufacture high cap magazines.

    With that said, there is a "however", here it goes.

    HOWEVER, you are "Allowed" to repair any previously "OWNED" high cap magazine to working status.

    ALSO, there is NO LIMIT to the number of parts you can replace to repair your high cap magazine to working status.

    So, in essence, you could replace EVERY part of the magazine and still be legal.

    If that doesn't make any sense, welcome to california.

  3. vega


    Sep 29, 2001
    CA LE can also buy hi-cap mags.
  4. Fred

    Fred Millennium Member Lifetime Member

    Dec 17, 1998
    Yep, moving it.
  5. jayzazueta


    Aug 24, 2007
    All I keep hearing is "Anything over 10 rounds is illegal" but I have also seen Hi Caps at shows so wtf? California is nuts!
  6. kpblade

    kpblade CLM

    Sep 13, 2000
    They aren't selling complete, assembled high cap magazines. They are selling replacement bodies. As noted above, you can buy replacement bodies or other parts to repair a broken high cap mag that you legally own, but can't manufacture a new complete magazine from parts.
  7. Be very careful with what you buy at gun shows in California. You can see in some threads on the forum at CalGuns that the California DOJ is sending agents to gun shows in California and in the nearby Nevada cities, who are not stopping the sales, but are recording transaction info. This has also been said to include the license plate numbers of consumers making what they consider to be "questionable" purchases.

    As someone said above, it is not illegal to fix a pre-ban hi-cap magazine, but building a new one out of spare parts is definitely illegal.

  8. cmysprks


    Jul 3, 2006
    tulare ca
    OK I have a two glock 22 mags hi-cap that I obtained from my grandfather when I was in high school JR year back in 98 when he moved in with us. Is there anything I have to do to replace the mag body's? Turn the old one in or send it to DOJ ? I currently own a glock 23 not a 22 can I change the mag body's over to a 23 mag? And can I change all the parts? any help would greatly appreciated

  9. Quiet

    Quiet Casino Goon

    If you wanted to replace damaged/worn out parts on your two large capacity Glock 22 magazines, all you have to do is...

    ... buy new parts and replace them with the damaged/worn out parts. However, they have to remain as Glock 22 magazines, you can not change them to Glock 23 magazines.

    You can replace any part of the magazine.

    You do not have to notify CA DOJ. The burden of proof that you did not own the large capacity magazine is on the state, not you the owner.

    Replacement parts can only be used to repair exisiting large capacity magazines.
    You can not use them to make new large capacity magazines.
  10. cmysprks


    Jul 3, 2006
    tulare ca
    Thank you. I have a friend that can get me ambi cut glock g22 mag body's for $30 each is that a good deal? I know a new g22 10rd mag runs around here $40 for a mag. The only reason I want to replace the body's is that there's slight damage and there nfmL. I just want to make sure I will not get in any trouble for installing the new body's with the ambi cut on them.
  11. M4inCA

    M4inCA pho_kit_all

    Dec 24, 2006
    Southern Tip of the PRK
    No, it's not a good deal. Shop around and you will find better prices.

    I get normal cap mags (Cali - Hi Cap's) for $25/ea in AZ. Although they have to stay at our house in AZ assembled which is fine with me.

    You could in effect, go to another state, but a mag and disassemble it in that state. As long as you're not bringing back high quantities of assembled mags there really is no problem.
  12. ilkwon


    Apr 25, 2003
    I have some older NFML mags that are not 100% reliable. I consider them non-functional. Couldn't I exchange the body and follower with a newer generation FML version so that I can have 100% functioning mags? Any help would be appreciated.
  13. Quiet

    Quiet Casino Goon

    You can change out any of your old non-functioning part for a newer part.
    However, you can not end up with more magazines than you started with.
  14. ilkwon


    Apr 25, 2003
    Thank you for the reply. I did understand the previous posts about replacing every part of the magazine, although, I just wasn't sure whether the generation of the mags had to stay the same or not. 1st gen NFML vs 3rd gen FML.

    So, in essence, I just have to source disassembled mag parts from a 3rd gen mag, replace all the non-functioning parts of the 1st gen (along with the 1st gen related components) and then dispose of the first gen parts to stay within the law. Did I understand that correctly?
  15. Quiet

    Quiet Casino Goon


    However, you do not have to dispose of the old parts.

    Some people recommend keeping the old parts as proof that you rebuilt/repaired an old/worn-out/non-functional magazine.
    It's up to you to decide what you want to do with your non-functional parts.
  16. team1320_k26eg


    Sep 2, 2009
    found this thread in a google search. so if you rebuild a hi cao mag its ok in cali? im still confused.
  17. Quiet

    Quiet Casino Goon

    You can rebuild an exisiting large capacity magazine that you owned in CA prior to 01-01-2000.

    You can not legally use to parts to build a new large capacity magazine. If you do it's a felony.

    So, if you have X amount of large capacity magazines prior to the ban, you can use the parts to repair/rebuild X amount of large capacity magazines. You can not use the parts to make more than X amount of large capacity magazines.

    If you did not own any large capacity magazines, you can legally use the parts to make permanent 10 round magazines or you can legally keep them as parts as long as you never assemble them in CA.
  18. drider


    Mar 13, 2009
    Just get an G26, dont' worry about high capacity magazines, ten shots is all you're ever going to get. And so, i don't feel to 'cheated' on, by missing out on some extra rounds.
  19. Peter95


    Oct 13, 2009
    Torrance, CA
    just say it was pre-ban mags..... which most likely they were, since they were selling it.
  20. Cody Pondexter

    Cody Pondexter Capzilla

    Oct 11, 2009
    This state is lame when i comes to mag capacity, After 10 rounds it'll be dead whats a few more, or 23 more