Glock Talk banner

Glock generations, "gills", 2- & 3-pin frames, and other helpful photos/info

246K views 222 replies 95 participants last post by  Glock-23/23 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is intended to show photographic examples of frame generation comparisons, common-use Glock terminology, less-common variations, and other things that are helpful to folks who may have never heard of or seen certain Glock-related items.

Below is a comparison photo of the various 9mm full-size frame generations with labels:

Most recent G17-Generation-Identification-by-grip-features photo:

Text Font Material property Silver Metal

Tags: What generation is my Glock, Glock frames, Glock generations, Glock frame comparison, Glock frame generations, Glock frame styles, Glock frame types, Glock Gen1, Glock Gen2, Glock Gen3, Glock Gen3 RTF2, Glock Gen4, Glock Gen5, Glock Generation 1, Glock Generation 2, Glock Generation 3, Glock Generation 4, Glock Generation 5, Glock photo, Glock frames photo, Glock frame types photo.

See less See more
#102 ·
I have an early G17c with a 2 pin frame. The serial number on the slide and barrel match and are CUHxxx. According to the serial number thread this puts it in the 1998-1999 range. I think I purchased it new 1999. My question is about the serial number on the frame. It's not an exact match to anything that has been explained so far. The frame serial is CUHxxxUS. In post 89 there is mention of recall with a '1' being added to the new frame. I bought my pistol new and it has never been sent to Glock or anyplace. What's the deal with the 'US' on the frame serial number. None of my other Glocks have this particular feature and I'm just curious.

Thanks

#103 · (Edited)
The "US" suffix to the frame serial number was used on all Glocks intended for import to the US for many years. As far as I can tell, all the Gen1 and Gen2 guns had it (I have examples of each), and Glock stopped using it during the Gen3 production run, sometime around the 3-letter "F" series Glocks (latest example I can find in the Serial Number Thread that has a "US" suffix is a "FCN" prefix serial number). There are exceptions to this rule found on some Glocks here in the states (a good example would be a pistol originally purchased overseas by a member of the US military, bought though the BX/PX system, and brought to the US when the member returned home), but generally, all early Glocks up through the 3-letter "F" series will have the "US" suffix, and anything made later will not.

EDITED TO ADD: In a thread I found here at Glock Talk discussing the "US" suffix, a person posted the following info --

"The guns with the 'US' serial number suffix were manufactured and assembled in Austria for the USA market. Glock claims to have dropped the 'US' suffix in approximately December 2002 with the start of the FEDXXX serial sequence."

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447888 , Post # 12

#104 ·
I realize it's somewhat apples to oranges, but I noticed that my Gen 3 Glock 23 (FWDXXX) has slightly different trigger guard geometry/look/feel and is different from all of my other Gen 3 guns. In fact, there is ~0.015" difference around most of the frame.

The G23 is on the left, and a G19 (KESXXX) on the right. I've always preferred the feel of the G23, but I could never put my finger on it. Anyone else notice or able confirm this? What does your G23 look like?

Note the difference of stippling on the front of the trigger guard. The frame on the left has 5 "bumps" vs 7 on the right.

#105 · (Edited)
Interesting...

I went and checked a few of my Glocks, and I found the same slightly-different checkering pattern on an older G23, with the serial number prefix "ELE". However, this frame was not the original frame for this pistol, it was a replacement (see post #89, earlier in this thread, for an explanation).

Does your frame serial number (the one on the little metal plate) have an extra digit, such as a "1" stamped at the beginning?

#106 · (Edited)
Negative. Only FWDXXX, on the frame, slide, and barrel. Perhaps we should call it "Gen 2.9"! :supergrin:

Kidding aside, thank you for verifying the observation. I didn't have any other Gen 3 G23s to compare it to. I'd be interested if any measurements on your guns would bear out a marginal difference, like mine did.

The test fire cases are dated 11/13/2003.

#107 ·
DJ,
Awesome info, have 2 questions, where does the 42 fall in the GEN category, and just put a FO Gen3 17 on layaway. Are the FO factory, or aftermarket, cause factory 'looking' label said 5.5 F.O.. Inside box was TALO card stating ltd. edition, etc.
Are they done after they leave the (Glock) factory with Glock knowing what s/n will go to Talo, or are done in house?
Again, awesome job on the info you provide!!!!
TNX,
Brad

#108 ·
Negative. Only FWDXXX, on the frame, slide, and barrel. Perhaps we should call it "Gen 2.9"! :supergrin:

Kidding aside, thank you for verifying the observation. I didn't have any other Gen 3 G23s to compare it to. I'd be interested if any measurements on your guns would bear out a marginal difference, like mine did.

The test fire cases are dated 11/13/2003.
Describe in detail the areas you measured (width of frame (at what point), width of trigger guard, etc.), and I'll check the same areas and let you know what I find.

#109 · (Edited)
DJ,
Awesome info, have 2 questions, where does the 42 fall in the GEN category, and just put a FO Gen3 17 on layaway. Are the FO factory, or aftermarket, cause factory 'looking' label said 5.5 F.O.. Inside box was TALO card stating ltd. edition, etc.
Are they done after they leave the (Glock) factory with Glock knowing what s/n will go to Talo, or are done in house?
Again, awesome job on the info you provide!!!!
TNX,
Brad
As the G42 is all by itself on the Glock timeline (no earlier versions of it exist), giving it an accurate generational label may be a challenge. Unlike most Glocks, which have evolved over time, the G42 was more-or-less "born" as a Gen4-style pistol (same gripping surface on frame and enlarged mag release button), but lacking the fingergrooves on the small-ish frame, which are part and parcel of all other Gen4 (and Gen3) Glock pistols. Most folks will probably consider it a Gen4 pistol, despite there being no earlier versions and no "Gen4" stamp on the slide like the others, but until another, LATER model of the G42 comes along, we don't really have to worry about defining it too tightly; there really isn't anything else like it in the lineup, so "Glock 42" or "G42" should identify it well enough for now. A few folks were talking about how the G42 might change some of the nicknames for the other small Glocks; can you really call the G26/G27/G33 a "Baby Glock" now, with the smaller G42 available? Does that make the G42 the "Infant Glock"? I suppose as long as it's kinda new to the market, you could call it the Newborn Glock...

About for your questions on the TALO/F0 Glocks, I don't have any firm info on the how-and-why, but most discussions of those models say the "why" is because some folks wanted a slightly upscale custom-looking Glock, but without a high-end full-custom-job price tag. The "how" seems to be some sort of cooperative effort between Glock and TALO; without some cooperation, nothing special would be printed on the box tag, and as you noted, there IS some non-standard info printed there. I don't know what exact level of cooperation is involved, or where the work is actually done. Give Glock a call, ask a few who/what/where questions about your new pistol, and let us all know what they tell you!

#110 ·
A quick review of this thread tonight shows that many of the image links are dying (thanks for nothing, imageshack). I still have the original photos and images, and I'll be re-hosting them and replacing the old (bad) links with new ones as soon as I can.

Until I can get them all fixed, my apologies for any images that don't display properly, and thanks again for all the kind words about this thread.

#111 ·
Most images have now been re-hosted, and all seem to be working at this time.

If you check the thread, and see a bunch of "this image is not available" boxes, it may be that I have exceeded the total bandwidth of the free account that is hosting the photos/images. If that is the case, please consider bookmarking the page and returning in the first week of the following month, after the account bandwidth is "re-set" to zero.

Thanks, and hope you enjoy the info/photos/images!

#112 ·
Interesting thread.

I am guessing the big boys, models 20 and 21, were always three pin models? I have a gen 2 mod 20 (no rail and no groves) that has three pins. This gun is around twenty years old.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Strange,I looked at my Glock 22,2nd generation and it look's like a 3 pin from what the picture's tell me.Im thinking the gun is around 22 year's old.Did Glock make a 3 pin 2nd Generation glock 22??:dunno:

#113 · (Edited)
Strange,I looked at my Glock 22,2nd generation and it look's like a 3 pin from what the picture's tell me.Im thinking the gun is around 22 year's old.Did Glock make a 3 pin 2nd Generation glock 22??:dunno:
Yes, battering in the .40 caliber Glocks was the reason for adding the third pin (along with a larger locking block), so .40s began using the 3rd pin in the early/mid 90s, both in the full-size G22, and the compact G23.

The serial number project thread shows a reference to a 3-pin Gen2 .40 in 1993, and several more in 1995, well before the full-size Gen3 frames/models were introduced/produced. The 9mm pistols stayed with 2-pin frames well into the Gen3 series.

#114 ·
Yes, battering in the .40 caliber Glocks was the reason for adding the third pin (along with a larger locking block), so .40s began using the 3rd pin in the early/mid 90s, both in the full-size G22, and the compact G23.

The serial number project thread shows a reference to a 3-pin Gen2 .40 in 1993, and several more in 1995, well before the full-size Gen3 frames/models were introduced/produced. The 9mm pistols stayed with 2-pin frames well into the Gen3 series.

And I have posted a thread about the rear rail's detatching due to the .40 cal.Maybe I got lucky when buying this Glock 22 with the 3rd pin.Make's me feel better.Im not sure I bought it in 1993 but it had to be before 1995.I do believe 1993 seem's most likely because I sold my Ruger Redhawk around that time.I miss the 44 magnum but it was not a good concealed carry gun.Of course I like my Glock 22 better.Better all around gun.

#116 ·
Interesting thread.

I am guessing the big boys, models 20 and 21, were always three pin models? I have a gen 2 mod 20 (no rail and no groves) that has three pins. This gun is around twenty years old.
My BRC-series G20 has three pins and my VX-series G20 has three pins.

I'm not saying that they're the earliest examples of each model, but I do tend to try to buy the earliest I can find of each. The only way I ever replace a Glock is if I find an earlier serial numbered model in equal or better condition.

#117 ·
DJ Niner, first of all thank you for such a great thread. This is one of the most informative threads that I have seen on any forum. Second, a question. I have three Gen 3 RTF2 models. Glock 17 PER prefix test fired February 28, 2011, Glock 17 PEP prefix test fired January 12, 2011, & Glock 19 PFN prefix test fired January 27, 2010. The two 17s have the "fish gills" on the slide while the G19 has the standard serrations. Do you have any info as to why some RTF models have the gill serrations and some do not? Again thanks for the great thread.

#118 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words!

I know that when the fish-gill-type slide serrations were first offered, they were not very popular with potential buyers (or many Glock owners here on GT). A comment regularly heard was that the slide grooves "curved in the wrong direction", either for functional or aesthetic reasons. The texture on the frame was generally well-received, though, so I think Glock just decided to drop the portion that was generating the most complaints (the slide grooves), and let the RTF2 frame texture live or die on its own merits.

Also, this was during the run-up to the Gen4 introduction, so I suppose getting input on the frame texture change/improvement was important to Glock at this time.

It is a bit strange that your G19 has an older test-fire date than the G17s. If you run the serial numbers sequentially, the G17s would have been produced first, then the G19 (PEP, then PER, and then PFN); based on that, the straight slide serrations on the G19 make sense, as the serial number indicates the G19 was made AFTER the G17s. I can't explain the later test-fire date on the G17 models, unless they were warehoused for a while after production but before test-fire and shipping.

Most of this is just hearsay/conjecture/discussions, so I have no sourcing for this info.

Hope this was helpful.

#120 ·
DJ,
Awesome info, have 2 questions, where does the 42 fall in the GEN category
I think the Glock 42 firing pin safety, slide lock spring, and slide stop spring designs all predict Gen 5 features. Maybe the trigger return spring changes as well.

#121 ·
Excellent pics and info.

#122 ·
Hey guys, This is a great post. I have a G27 Gen 2.5 as well. What I can't figure out is my SN. It's BWE, the code given on another page says B is for April, W is for 1, E is for ??? I also don't get how the last two letters can be the year. This being said my gun was made in April of 1? Can someone enlighten me on where I'm having fuzzy thinking....

#123 · (Edited)
Hello Sergeantgrunt, and welcome to Glock Talk!

The 3-letters-only barrel code on Glocks is a different stamping than the serial number (2, 3, or 4 letters plus 3 numbers), but it's occasionally confused with the serial number because most newer Glocks don't have a barrel code at all (I believe yours is one of these). Only the 3-letter barrel code can be used to de-code a production month and year using the info you've seen in the barrel code chart. On newer Glocks, the barrel code (if it has one) is usually stamped on top of the chamber, where the serial number is usually on the right-hand side of the chamber, with the matching serial number appearing on the slide and the frame dust cover. This photo shows a newer G19 with two proof marks, the barrel code AOH, and the caliber stamped on top of the chamber:

Gun Black Black-and-white Monochrome Trigger

(other photos of this pistol can also be seen in post #12 of this thread).

On older Glocks such as the original Gen1 pistols, the barrel code will be stamped on the side of the chamber along with the serial number and proof marks. This is a photo of a Gen1 G17 showing the serial number, Eagle and Nitro proof marks, and the "CTT" barrel code on the barrel; the serial number and proof marks on the slide; and the proof marks on the frame:

Gun Black Material property Trigger Photography

If all you want to do is find the approximate manufacture date of a Glock pistol, you can go to the Glock Serial Number Thread here at Glock Talk and look to see if there are other Glocks in the same serial number range with manufacture dates already posted:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445829

and in your case, near the bottom of post #5, you'll see the 3-alpha/3-number late B-series serial numbers. There is a BWE-prefix pistol listed, with a (month-only) date of 1996, along with BWD and BWG series pistols (before and after your serial number) showing an 1 Apr 96 manufacture date, which indicates they were probably all in the same batch that yours was produced.

#125 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help. My 27 has BWE124 and the Glock symbol on the right side of the barrel, and BWE124 right below that on the slide. The top says .40SW. I don't have any of these proof marks anywhere on my 27. Is this normal?
Yes, for a Glock pistol of that era that was intended to be sold in the USA, no proof marks is the normal condition. Pistols intended to be sold in Europe or certain other countries (like the Gen3 G19 in the top photo, above) will have proofs, and older Glocks that were made with the possibility of being sold in any country, also had proof marks. Most others will not.

I will also mention that your G27 is somewhat less common in another way, in that the caliber marking you mentioned (.40SW) was only used for the first few batches of guns in that caliber. Shortly after the release of the .40 subcompacts, Glock and S&W had a bit of a falling-out, and (the story I heard was that) Glock decided they weren't going to put another company's name/initials anywhere on their pistols (especially S&W), so they changed the caliber stamping from .40SW to .40 (for folks who don't think the reason rings true, please note how Glocks in .357SIG caliber are marked). The caliber marking on the left side of your slide is probably stamped the same way. These aren't really "rare" in the sense that they would be more valuable than other similar pistols, but they are unique enough that I thought you might want to know about it. My Gen 2.5 G27 is marked the same way, and I think it's kind of cool, just because it's different than the later .40 pistols.

I believe there are also G22 and G23 pistols that are marked in both ways, for those of you who may own older .40 caliber Glock pistols.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.