Glock Talk banner

Glock generations, "gills", 2- & 3-pin frames, and other helpful photos/info

246K views 222 replies 95 participants last post by  Glock-23/23 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is intended to show photographic examples of frame generation comparisons, common-use Glock terminology, less-common variations, and other things that are helpful to folks who may have never heard of or seen certain Glock-related items.

Below is a comparison photo of the various 9mm full-size frame generations with labels:

Most recent G17-Generation-Identification-by-grip-features photo:

Text Font Material property Silver Metal

Tags: What generation is my Glock, Glock frames, Glock generations, Glock frame comparison, Glock frame generations, Glock frame styles, Glock frame types, Glock Gen1, Glock Gen2, Glock Gen3, Glock Gen3 RTF2, Glock Gen4, Glock Gen5, Glock Generation 1, Glock Generation 2, Glock Generation 3, Glock Generation 4, Glock Generation 5, Glock photo, Glock frames photo, Glock frame types photo.

See less See more
#6 ·
Great info. I was just thinking about all the different Gens. I was at a small shop over the weekend the owner and were talking about the Fde Glocks. Then he threw me a curve and said the Gen 3 & Gen 4 would never be legal in Kommunist Kali. I bought a 22 rtf w/n Gills in November so I started to wonder what Gen it is.

#7 · (Edited)
Gen1 Glock 17L with the less-common factory ported barrel. Serial number prefix "ED", manufactured in December of 1988. Although this is an early Glock, it is actually rather late in the Gen1 Glock lineup, with the Gen2 G17 model starting production just 3-4 months after this one was produced.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

A side view of the barrel ports with the barrel removed from the slide:

Auto part Cylinder Gun barrel

#10 ·
I think future additions for this thread should also clarify what constitutes a Generation 2.5.

I've seen "transition models" of full size frames that were without the light rail OR didn't have checkering in the finger grooves. I have yet to see one that has both shortcomings.

More importantly, I think that clarifying what constitutes a Gen 2.5 in the sub compacts would be important since so many people seem to think that their G26, G27, or G33 is a "Gen 2.5" just because it doesn't have a light rail. It has NEVER had a light rail, so how can you claim that it is somehow missing and worthy of the mid-generation moniker?

As for what constitutes a "real" Gen 2.5 in the subs would be something missing that they eventually ended up with, like the checkering in the finger grooves. I've seen it on the 9mm and the 40 S&W, I assume that there are possibly G33's out there that are missing the checkering.

I hope more people post up early subcompacts so we can have good examples of models that were made during the transition period from 2nd to 3rd Generation pistols. And we might finally dispel the urge to call every Gen 3 subcompact a Gen 2.5.

Reactions: azks804
#11 · (Edited)
I guess I haven't seen that trend (calling all Subs Gen2.5 guns), but given that these "definitions" are pretty much all made-up by groups of users (except for the Gen4, which Glock so kindly identified by stamping it on the newest guns), I guess I can understand a bit of confusion on the subject.

I'm working on getting my hands on a no-checkering-in-the-grooves subcompact so I can make the same type of photo as the top one in this thread; I already have a Gen3 and Gen4 G26, so once I locate an older one I can snap a few pics and get a post up on that subject. As far as the larger frames (.45 ACP and 10mm), I don't consider myself very knowledgeable about them at all, so I may have to get some other folks to put up photos and info on model variations of the larger Glocks.

Thanks for your input, and the photo of another one of the less-common Glocks!

#12 · (Edited)
Austrian-proofed Gen3 G19, bought used a couple of years ago:

Table

Technology Electronic device Photography Black-and-white Gadget

The Eagle-NPv proofmarks are applied to guns fully assembled in Austria and sold in countries other than the United States, so unless a Glock is fairly old (Gen1 or early Gen2), it is unusual to see these Austrian proofs on the newer guns in the U.S. The story on these Gen3 Austrian-proofed guns varies, but it seems to be centered around a bit of a shortage in the G19 model here in the U.S., combined with an production overage (possibly due to a smaller-than-projected sale to another country), at about the same time (mid- to late-2000s). A large block of G19s with these markings were imported fully assembled (vs. being assembled here), and show up from time to time on the used-gun market.

Besides the Eagle-NPv proofmarks on the barrel hood, slide (behind and below the extractor), and frame (above the front of the trigger guard), these guns have an importer stamp on the bottom of the trigger guard. Normally, a Glock assembled here in the USA, or for sale in the USA, has the correct importer's identification markings in the little oval at the top of the right side grip panel on the frame, but these guns have the Austrian Glock company markings, so the "Glock, Inc., Smyrna, GA" U.S. importer info had to be added somewhere else on the gun.

On this example, the front sight is steel, has a tiny Glock logo on it, and is longer (front-to-back) than current non-tritium front sights. The rear sight on this gun is not original; I replaced it with a steel non-night-sight Trijicon 3-dot sight, due to damage from the previous owner. The original was a stock plastic non-adjustable square-notch white-outline Glock rear sight.

#14 · (Edited)
Glock subcompact frame style comparison (9mm, .40, and .357-size frames).

Although the Subcompact frames have never been available in Gen1 or Gen2 styles, the naming convention used for the full-size 9mm/.40/.357 frames was informally adopted to describe the subcompact models as well. Along with no Gen1 or Gen2 versions, I have never seen or heard of a Gen3 RTF2 subcompact, so that leaves us with 3 basic styles or generations: Gen2.5, Gen3, and Gen4. As said before, Gen4 has been clearly defined by Glock. Gen3 subcompacts have all the same features as the full-size Gen3 frames, but there was also a very early version that had similar features, but was missing the checkering in the fingergroove area on the front of the grip frame. The smooth-groove frames have become known as Gen2.5 guns. In some larger frames, Gen2.5 has been used to describe frames missing the frontstrap checkering and/or missing the front accessory rail on the dust cover area of the frame; but because the subcompact guns have never had the dust cover rail in ANY generation, the lack of frontstrap checkering seems to be the only defining factor in identifying a gun as a Gen2.5.

Tags: subcompact Gen2.5, subcompact Gen3, subcompact Gen4, smooth fingergrooves, smooth finger grooves, non-checkered finger grooves, non-checkered fingergrooves.

#21 · (Edited)
The grip panel areas of the Gen3 RTF2 Glocks have small raised pyramid-shaped polymer projections, at a linear density of about 20 per inch (around 400 per square inch; gun is a Glock 17 Gen3 RTF2).

Font Metal

The same areas of the Gen4 Glocks have larger, flat-topped pyramids at a linear density of about 12 per inch (approximately 144 per square inch; gun is a Glock 22 Gen4).

Text Font Technology Electronic instrument Electronics

In addition to the differing shape and densities of the pyramids, there is one more significant difference -- on the Gen3 RTF2 guns, the gripping pattern is extended into the thumb-rest area of the grip (see the photo in post #1 at the top of this thread for a side-by-side comparison of the two frames). While it may or may not be helpful in adding to the security of the shooter's grip, it has been the source of some complaints about an abrasive "sandpaper" effect on certain areas of the shooter's thumb, especially when expending large quantities of ammo in a short time (examples: competitions and Law Enforcement qualifications).

#22 · (Edited)
One of the great advantages to the Glock series of pistols is the ability to use magazines of larger capacity than the stock magazine. There are two ways this can be accomplished; by extending the factory magazine using special magazine floorplates, or by using a longer magazine originally designed for another (larger) Glock of the same caliber. Obviously, other pistols made by other companies also share this feature, but I believe Glock offers more factory options in this area than any other maker.

Adding to the capacity of a stock magazine by replacing the floorplate with a "+" floorplate (or buying a magazine already equipped with one) is a popular option. The original extended floorplates were called "+2" (plus two) floorplates (which was stamped on the base), and added two rounds of capacity to a stock 9mm magazine. When the .40 caliber Glocks were added to the 9mm line-up, it was discovered that the +2 floorplate only added one round of capacity to the .40 magazines, due to the larger diameter of the .40 caliber cartridges. This was a little confusing for some folks, as they desperately tried to cram 2 more shots into their +2 modified .40 caliber mags, without success. Adding to the confusion, the plus-two floorplate was made in two versions; one for the older non-full-metal-lined (NFML) magazines, and another for the new/improved full-metal-lined (FML) mags, and although they appeared the same, they were not interchangeable.

At some point during the production of Gen3 Glocks, the extended floorplate was redesigned and the designation was changed to the "+" (plus) floorplate, which was (as above) also marked on the bottom. Now that it is a little bit deeper and with a slightly different profile than the original "+2" floorplate, it adds two rounds of capacity to all Glock factory 9mm, .40, and .357 magazines. Certain magazines can be purchased with a plus floorplate and insert already installed by the factory (G26, G27, and G18, for instance); others are available to Police/Military users as a complete item, but are not found on the "civilian" market here in the USA (although they can be legally created in most states by buying and adding the "extension" (#SP07151) and "insert" (#SP07165) parts to an existing magazine). Here are some comparison photos of the old- and new-style parts:

Product Text Photography Technology Font

Text Font Brick Rectangle Parallel

And two photos of a Glock 26; one with a normal 10-shot factory magazine, and the other with a factory magazine using the new-style "+" floorplate installed:

Other companies offer extended magazine floorplates, some with very large capacities (+6 or more rounds!), but I'm only concerning myself with factory options in this post. For more information on aftermarket accessories, check the Glock Talk discussion forums.

(continued below)

#23 · (Edited)
Using a longer magazine in your Glock is the other way to add capacity. Glock wisely made sure that all the guns in each "series" of frame size/calibers had the same basic magazine dimensions from the locking notch to the feed lips, allowing the use of any magazine long enough to fit and lock into the magazine well of the frame. This was a thoughtful design option originally aimed at the Law Enforcement market; if an officer carried a full-size Glock as their primary duty weapon, they could also carry a smaller Glock as a back-up weapon, and be able to use the full-size magazines on their duty belt for reloading either weapon in an emergency. It also made perfect sense for streamlining the manufacture of the magazines of various lengths for different models.

For the 9mm full-size guns, there is really only one option that is longer than the stock magazines; the G18 magazine. Originally designed to hold and dispense 31 shots for the fast-firing Glock 18 fully-automatic machine-pistol, the latest versions include the "+" floorplate discussed above to increase capacity to 33 shots. For the .40 caliber full-size Glocks, there is a recently released large-capacity magazine that holds 22 rounds of .40 caliber ammunition (also using a "+" floorplate). Although there is nothing specifically offered from the factory for .357 fans, I am told the .40 caliber 22-shot extended magazine works just fine with .357 ammunition.

For the smaller (shorter-gripped) Glocks in the compact and subcompact lines, the magazines from any larger (taller grip frame) Glock in the same caliber will fit and function normally. To illustrate, I have some photos showing a Glock 26 in 9mm caliber, and some of the magazines that will fit and function in it. The model numbers are different, but the same holds true of the .40 and .357 caliber Glocks of comparable sizes.

Glock 26 with a 15-shot magazine from a Glock 19 9mm:

Glock 26 with a 17-shot magazine from a Glock 17:

And yes, even though it looks a bit silly, the Glock 26 (like all the other 9mm Glocks) can use the extended-capacity Glock 18 magazine:

To summarize, Glocks have several different options for increasing their magazine capacity, and the smaller (shorter) they are, the more options they have available. Here is a partial roundup of the magazines that I have used in my Glock 26, with flawless reliability:

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Not pictured, but still a viable option, would be the 17-shot Glock 17 magazine with a "+" floorplate, for a total capacity of 19 rounds. Adding a "+" floorplate to the 15-shot Glock 19 magazine IS an option, but it would only get you 17 shots (the same as an unmodified Glock 17 magazine, which would be less expensive).

WARNING: Before depending on any larger- or extended-capacity magazine in any pistol for serious uses, be sure to test it for safe fit and functioning, with the exact ammunition you intend to use. Not all guns will work reliably with all possible magazine/ammunition combinations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.