Glock Talk banner

Glock Gen4 Trigger Pull Reduction - Next Steps

12K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  n8vyc 
#1 ·
Glock 22 Gen4

Stock trigger pull was a consistent 6.5 lbs.

Removed stock (.) connector, added OEM Glock (-) connector [4.5 lb].

Removed stock Gen4 trigger bar, added OEM Glock Gen3 (nub-less) trigger bar.

All parts were polished before assembly with nano oil drop in the correct place between connector and trigger bar.

Now trigger pull is a consistent 5.5 lbs and smoother than before.

I was hoping for something a little lower with a target trigger pull around 4.5 lbs.

What would be the next steps? Heavier 6 lb trigger spring? and with what spring weight (if necessary) using reduced firing pin safety and striker springs? I realize the potential of light primer strikes that come with these changes.

Note: Please set aside any "why" preferences in regards to legal aspects, issues or what's right for you, this G22 is not my EDC or CCW therefore just interested in finding the correct parts to achieve the desired trigger pull right now, with the option to increase trigger pull upward if necessary to maintain desired trigger pull as needed should the internal parts wear with use over a period of time.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Glock trigger safety may be bolluxing up your force readings. The safety tends to force the gauge higher on the trigger, which would INCREASE the MEASURED force level recorded by the gauge.

Defeat the trigger safety when using a gauge, and ensure the probe always rests on the same spot on the trigger.

#3 ·
You could try the 6# trigger spring, reduced power striker spring and a Jager ultra light striker. Light strikes can happen with reduced power striker springs without a lighter striker, but if you did both, you should be ok. Those 3 parts should get you down to around 3-3.5#. If that still gives you light strikes, try reloads with Federal primers. The Federals are the softest primers out there.

#5 ·
On my G19gen4 I used the Ghost 3.5# trigger bar with the custom spring set, which included a replacement trigger spring, firing pin spring and safety plunger spring. After polishing and a bit of oil, it is very much improved over the stock set up, almost too easy! So I guess it's great for target shooting but perhaps a little light for self defense.

#6 ·
The Glock trigger safety may be bolluxing up your force readings. The safety tends to force the gauge higher on the trigger, which would INCREASE the MEASURED force level recorded by the gauge.

Defeat the trigger safety when using a gauge, and ensure the probe always rests on the same spot on the trigger.
You're 100% right about this, it is somewhat difficult to test the trigger pull consistency in the same way and in same place everytime. In this situation, I made sure of that and wrote down every measurement but only when I felt sure I got a smooth pull reading to come up with a good overall average.

#7 · (Edited)
A Glock - connector reduces the pull approximately 8 Oz. more than a dot connector, not 2 pounds. Something wrong there.
Changing from the (.) dot connector to the (-) minus connector [once called the 3.5 connector, now known as the 4.5 connector] plus adding the smoother Gen3 trigger bar, plus polishing, only reduced the trigger pull on my G22 Gen4 1lb even. Not sure what or where the 2lbs difference is you mentioned (if your commenting on my post in particular).

You're correct, if I correctly recall, in regards to the connector differences, there's only 1/2 pound - 8oz difference between the (.) and (-) connectors.

#8 ·
Glock 22 Gen4
Stock trigger pull was a consistent 6.5 lbs. Removed stock (.) connector, added OEM Glock (-) connector [4.5 lb].

My Bad, I read this to mean the trigger pull went from 6.5# to 4.5# with only a connector change from a dot to a -. I have read stranger things on GT.
Having worked on several hundred Glocks I am familiar with what happens when trigger parts are changed.

#9 ·
If you go with 6# trigger spring and 4.0# reduced power FP spring, your trigger may not fully reset forward. If this happens, try 4.5 or 5.0 # FP spring. Wolf offers a pack of 3 -- 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0. I like the Lightning Strike plunger with reduced power spring and the Jager lightweight striker.

#10 ·
A Glock - connector reduces the pull approximately 8 Oz. more than a dot connector, not 2 pounds. Something wrong there.
:thumbsup: Yes! Personally, I would have, also, left, 'the bumps' on that 3rd generation trigger bar. If it's an older trigger bar then it has a shallower (less inherently safe) angle on the sear, 'kick plate'. That, alone is good for a half # reduction in pull weight. Those, 'bumps' are there to ensure smooth tracking across the face of the striker (FP) safety. Me? I'd leave them alone.

The last things I would ever use in one of my Glocks are a 4# striker spring, or a lightweight striker. Instead I do a total ($1.50) polish job on the entire lockwork, and use 6# Wolff Gunsprings striker and trigger return springs. What I try for is a nice crisp let-off from the reset position.

The last thing I'd want on one of my Glocks is a 4# trigger break. I fail to see any advantage in such a light (and highly unstable) let-off on what is, basically, a combat pistol. If you really want a target trigger, then, get a target pistol; but don't go and turn your Glock into a mechanical abortion that it was never designed to be.

This said, I've had good luck using a Ghost Rocket, '3.5#' connector in my G-19. A properly setup trigger stop does a lot to improve a Glock's normally sloppy trigger break. ;)

#11 ·
I've also been trying to improve the feel of the trigger on my Gen4 34. With the dot connector the pull weight is the same as my Gen2 19 with a standard connector. It measured 6lbs on the middle of the trigger and 5.5lbs at 2/3 of the way down. While the weight is the same, the Gen4 has more creep before it breaks. The only thing I've done is the .25 cent trigger job.

I ordered a Wolf spring kit and installed the 6lb trigger spring first. The pull weight dropped almost a full pound. The creep is still there but is a little less noticeable. The safety plunger spring made the take up a little lighter but doesn't seem relly worth it. I'm not even going to bother with the FP spring since the trigger is light enough for me.

#12 · (Edited)
Install a quality 6 pound trigger spring and your trigger pull weight will come down. You should wind up with a 5 pound, or slightly less, trigger with this mod. You could also use a lighter safety block spring as well. I would not recommend installing a 4 pound striker spring, especially with the 6 pound trigger spring.

#13 · (Edited)
Polish everything to a mirror (you gotta use power tools, doing it by hand doesn't do crap to get rid of the actual rough ridges, you'll end up with shiney ridges on the surfaces), get the zev race 2lb connector, their race spring kit, and do the trigger bar/trigger relocation mod to move the connection up about .130 inches. Bend the trigger spring foward to 90 degrees (which also takes up a bit of pretravel) and you should be about or below 2lbs of pull. Put a set-screw in the back of the ejector housing or just buy the overstop set to stop over travel and you should have a pretty sweet little trigger pull.

Its so damn easy and cheap to mod these guns, have fun.

#18 · (Edited)
Adding a 6 lb trigger return spring and 6 lb striker spring now has reduced the trigger pull to 4.25 to 4.5 lbs with a very nice reset as Arc Angel mentioned.

I'm now right in the ballpark with my intented trigger pull, I'll just keep a close watch as things proceed from here.

Just for sake of reference. What is the weight of the stock gen4 striker spring and trigger pull springs?

Regarding striker springs... Changing to 5.0, 4.5 or 4.0 would do what to the trigger pull in addition to lighter primer strikes?

#19 ·
Adding a 6 lb trigger return spring and 6 lb striker spring now has reduced the trigger pull to 4.25 to 4.5 lbs with a very nice reset as Arc Angel mentioned.

I'm now right in the ballpark with my intented trigger pull, I'll just keep a close watch as things proceed from here.

Just for sake of reference. What is the weight of the stock gen4 striker spring and trigger pull springs?

Regarding striker springs... Changing to 5.0, 4.5 or 4.0 would do what to the trigger pull in addition to lighter primer strikes?
5.5# and 5.5#
Changing from a 6# firing pin spring to a 5# firing pin spring would reduce your trigger pull approximately 10 Oz., and should work fine. If you go to a 4.5# firing pin spring you may want to install the stock trigger spring and the pull weight will be comparable to the above setup. The 4.0# FPS is an invitation to light strikes at some point without using a LWFP.

#23 ·
its more like 7-8 oz from my tests.
I have tried every FPS on the market and dropping the spring weight by 1# reduces the trigger pull by APPROXIMATELY 10 OZ. when using springs made by the same company. Using the same brand and weight spring the pull weight may vary by an ounce or two, same with connectors, same results when using the same components in different pistols.

#26 ·
squibs? like the primer firing and the bullet getting stuck in the barrel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.