close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock Front sight tool availability

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Shadow106, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I spent most of today, wandering from gun shop to gun shop in Boise, Idaho today (and a few adjacent communities). I was looking for the hex socket to change the front sight on my Gen 3 G23 and a bud's Gen 3 G22. I was doing this because the one I had has magically disappeared into the block hole that surrounds my work bench. I was in nine (9) different shops and totally surprised about some of the reactions to my request. (These are well established shops with knowledgeable operators, not Walmart, K-mart, etc.)

1st shop: "Oh sure. I have one but you can't buy it. It's only for dealer use.

2nd shop: "Ya mean this one? (He's holding the drifting vice for the rear sight).

3rd shop: "Well, two of us are Glock armorers and WE have them, of course. I can order one for you. Runs about $28.95 + tax"

4th-6th shops: "Sorry, we send our repairs out to a gunsmith so we don't have a source for tools to sell over the counter."

7th & 8th shops: "So that's how the danged thing come off. I'll have to order some of those."

9th shop: The guy said there was no such thing. All Glocks have "staked" sights. When I suggested he pull the 23 he was carrying, break it down and look at the mount, he called me an f___ing know-it-all and told me to leave the store.

So I went home, went on line and ordered the dang thing, and will be patient for a couple of days 'til I can switch out to the new sight. $12.95 +4.00 shipping. And $50 for gasoline and Pepcid.

Remember where I said, "Knowledgeable operators" up at the top? Erase that for me, please.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. emore

emore

Dec 29, 2010
    upstate SC
    The little 4-in-1 tool from LWD is nice as it gives you a good grip to loosen but not so strong as to strip the threads on installation. It also ain't cheap.
    Sounds like you have a string of winning "gun" shops.

3. imaguy3

imaguy3

Dec 30, 2007
    Arizona
  4. midwayusa.com 22.00 bucks got it in 3 days. good quality too.

5. Hobnob

Hobnob

Nov 13, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Brownell's sells a Glock front sight tool that also has a punch, and it's made of steel. Not sure of price.

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    any good 3/16" 6 point socket can be transformed into a front sight tool for Glocks with about 5-10 minutes on a lathe.
    And even a Snap-On socket shouldn't run over about 15 bucks....and they think quite highly of themselves when it comes to price.
    A Craftsman will do as well for under 5 bucks !

need to add here, make sure it's a 1/4" drive.

uncle albert

7. baddean

baddean

Aug 8, 2011
    I realize that I'm showing up at the dance a little late but a Craftsmen 3/16 socket driver works great.