Glock Talk banner

Glock for concealed carry

3K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
Hey everybody I'm new here. I am also in the process of getting my LTC. So, in need of a new carry firearm, I thought I'd seek the advice of experienced individuals.

I have a G30sf which I absolutely love. However, so does the misses, and I'll gladly relinquish it if she will carry. It is difficult for me to conceal, anyway, so not the best option. I can hide it (mostly) if I appendix carry. Appendix carry ain't for me.

I will carry a glock.

With my build, style of dress, and the 11 months of sauna here in Houston, I believe thinner is better for me. So I'm leaning to either the G43 or the G26. I either read or heard that glock lists their widths at the widest point. For the 43 this was the slide stop. For the 26 it was the frame in general. From pictures it does seem there is more difference in width than what is listed. Particularly at the grip.

So, my specific questions are:
1) Is that true about the width?
2) Can anyone verify the difference in width at the grip?
3) Does the difference in width make the G43 easier to conceal for you?

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree w/ Terlingueno. If you are OK w/ the 26, the 19 is going to conceal just as easily in most cases. I know some folks love their G26, but I prefer more grip. I'm actually transitioning from 10 years of carrying a Kahr (thin) to carrying a G17 everywhere. I have no trouble w/ the 17, but I'm carrying AIWB now as well. The one benefit of the G26 might be that you'll get a tad less printing and a little better carry on the hip (vs appendix) because of the shorter grip. But again, I've never been willing to give up grip length, I prefer it. My go-to Kahr carry was a full size TP9 for that reason. I have a G43 for those few, very few, times when I just can't pull off the G17. And in those cases, I revert to my 'Kahr thin' mentality w/ the G43.

So to answer your questions.

1. No idea.
2. The width of a G43, everywhere, is significant over the G26/19/17.
3. Yes, it makes a difference in concealability on the hip in particular. Also in carry comfort either IWB (width+weight) or OWB (more weight), but you'll ultimately have to make that call based on your carry preferences.

If you are new to carrying, be prepared for those preferences to morph and change over time as you get more comfortable, try more holsters, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
+1 for this setup. Have both the G26 and G43, carry the G26 95% of time. The width difference is more noticeable side by side and in hand vs. the paper specs. However, I have no issues carrying the G26 comfortably in a IWB at 4:00. Get to a LGS that has both and see and feel in person. Can't go wrong with either one. Good luck.

Reactions: rock_castle
#6 ·
All I can say is get what you will actually carry. If it's too big and you leave it at home, that doesn't help.

I have a 26 and a 29. Even though on paper they are close in size, the 29 is a bloated chunk side by side.

Get two! Get a 43 now so you know you can conceal, then decide if you want something larger in frame or caliber for when you have more conceal options.

#8 ·
The 43 is the most awesome gun that a person could carry IMHO. I also have a glock 27 that I carry with different berrals and clips. BY FAR SINGLE STACK is more comfortable CCW. I have night sights, lasermax, and talon grips. Will be adding ghost conecter very soon

#9 ·
I can notice a difference between carrying the G26 and the G43.

Reactions: WeeWilly
#10 ·
1. I believe so, but it's not a concern to me. I do have all three of these models.
2. I could, but I'm not bothering to go measure right now. The grip width measurement and whether one decides to buy just because of that measurement is not a factor, in my opinion. Feel free to buy a caliper and bring it to a gun store, however. Also, decide exactly where on the grip you decide to take the measurement.
3. The overall size, including the width does make the G43 easier to conceal. I use the G43 as a backup gun and it's either on my ankle or under a shirt on my body armor. I also have a pocket holster for the G43 but seldom carry it in this manner. An S&W J-frame draws much easier from my pockets.

If the only concern is width and comfort, then the G43 is it. Other considerations might be:
-weight
-caliber
-overall size
-available holsters/method of carry
-ammo capacity
-price
-how well one shoots with one (or the other; difficult to determine without longer term practice with them all)
-mission, environment, place/purpose of travel & carry

Out of the three, I can draw and shoot a bit faster and more accurately with the G30-series or G26(any gen) than with my G43. If you can, get them all. If you can't get them all, at least not all at once, choose one and it will still be a good choice, no matter which one you're carrying that day.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Width is not my primary concern, but how easy it is to conceal. Open carry is now legal, but I don't want to be a target. I also don't think whether or not I'm armed is anybody's business. I'd prefer to keep it to myself.

My ability to shoot the firearm well is priority number one. I shoot fairly often and I believe I could learn to shoot either. The G19 is an option, but if I'm going that large so is the 36.

I'd love to have both, and probably will some day. Right now I can only have one. And cost is a factor. For that reason I'm leaning 43. All that said, I'd rather spend just a little more on a good purchase, since it will likely be my only for a while. I appreciate y'all helping me with that.

#13 ·
My ability to shoot the firearm well is priority number one. I shoot fairly often and I believe I could learn to shoot either. The G19 is an option, but if I'm going that large so is the 36.
Remember, G43 and G36 are 6+1, the G19 is 15+1. That alone would make my decision if I lived in Houston. I came to the same decision here on the border, 7 or 8+1 in the 1911, or 15+1 in the G19. More rounds won.

#44 ·
Be sure to purchase a good belt. It does make a difference.

#15 ·
Hey everybody I'm new here. I am also in the process of getting my LTC. So, in need of a new carry firearm, I thought I'd seek the advice of experienced individuals.

I have a G30sf which I absolutely love. However, so does the misses, and I'll gladly relinquish it if she will carry. It is difficult for me to conceal, anyway, so not the best option. I can hide it (mostly) if I appendix carry. Appendix carry ain't for me.

I will carry a glock.

With my build, style of dress, and the 11 months of sauna here in Houston, I believe thinner is better for me. So I'm leaning to either the G43 or the G26. I either read or heard that glock lists their widths at the widest point. For the 43 this was the slide stop. For the 26 it was the frame in general. From pictures it does seem there is more difference in width than what is listed. Particularly at the grip.

A loose baggy fitting shirt or blouse for her worn outside the pant / shorts, will conceal just fine.

#16 ·
Good call on capacity, Terlingueno. I mentioned the 36 because I shoot .45 the best (of the pistols I own). 9mm is such a close second practice is all I'd need. I personally don't need to be carrying a .40 the way the paper looks when I'm done lol. I also am not LEO and avoid the worst parts of town like the plague unless I can't because of work ( I'm in construction so the job site moves). Houston is a big place and getting bigger, though. A bigger magazine couldn't hurt. Unless I dropped it on my foot.

#17 ·
43 or 19. My 26 is in the safe, the 19 has taken it's place and I am looking at a 43 for a convenience gun.

Go handle them at the store and if possible shoot them both.

#18 ·
The difference between the 26 and the 43 looks small when you are reading measurements, but it feels big when you handle them. Go to the gun shop and handle both, side by side. That's the only way to get the right answer. I have a 43 and a 27 and I only carry the 43, even though I'm not a fan of 9mm.

#19 ·
The G19 is bigger than a G26 in the grip. That means it does not conceal as easily. Can you conceal it, yes of course you can but it not as easily as a G26. That is not opinion its physics. Its harder to hide something bigger. Is it a practical difference? A lot of people will say no, a lot will say yes. Myself, I carry a G26. I find the grip to be the hardest thing to conceal. The one thing that is certain, you can make a G26 bigger with different magazines, you can never make a G19 smaller.

#20 ·
Weight and thickness are the biggest concealment issues, followed by grip size; barrel length is not a problem except maybe for pocket carry.

Good job on getting the wife to carry the G30, a gun bearer is nice.

I live in bathing suits or shorts, so my favorite choices either stay home or end up off-body, which can be problematic. I'll get a G43 someday soon, but meanwhile my G42 is my only singlestack Glock. It's great, but it's only a .380.

My favorite all around Glock is the G26 when I dress like a grown-up, and I shoot it better than a G19. I shoot my G42 far better than any other .380 I have tried, it's not even close. And it conceals far better than any doublestack Glock.

#21 ·
The G26 is an ideal size handgun for conceal carry. I have the same size G27 in .40 cal with the pinky extension on the mag. Never had to pull it on anyone, but once on a wild bore tearing up our garden on the ranch...he was quartered and given to the local ranch hands.

#23 ·
I think if this is the only carry piece you are going to have for awhile, I'd lean toward the G19. Fills multiple rolls and with the right holster, very concealable. Check out the raven eidolon. With the claw and a g19 I bet the grip disappears under most clothing at 4:00. There are some other brands that have similar claw type appendages like JM custom kydex and I think phlster, or maybe the phlster can accept the raven claw. But the claw pulls the grip in really well.

I'm running a 17 AIWB in an eidolon and it's just 'not there', almost zero printing in a loose shirt and even doable in a tshirt. Loose plaid shirt and it's totally gone! Move to hip or behind hip and a G19, you should be good.

Somebody further up mentioned the 43 was (or had become) their 'convenience gun'. I kinda look at it the same way. Only when I can't carry bigger as a result of forced clothing choices.

#25 ·
I have most of the guns listed in previous posts. I prefer to tuck my shirts, so the gun I pick does make a difference if I am actually trying to conceal.

The G43 in a quality hybrid holster like a Cross Breed Minituck is by far easiest for me to conceal "tucked" IWB of the guns listed above.

I think if you don't mind untucked, or always wearing some sort of outer cover a double stack has to be a better option. More rounds, quicker recovery, etc.

#28 ·
I picked up a 43 this morning and just got back from the range. She shoots great as I'd expect. Side by side there is a pretty substantial size difference between the 43 and 26. I don't feel under gunned with seven rounds. So I went with the 43. I will probably pick up a +1 mag extension to try out.

This also isn't my do everything pistol. The 43 is my CC pistol. I have others that serve other purposes. Home defense, hunting, backpacking/camping etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.