close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock factory night sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by OUSooner, Jan 10, 2010.

1. OUSooner

OUSooner
    Expand Collapse

They are pretty good. Who makes them?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JonInWA

JonInWA
    Expand Collapse

Glock makes the metal sight casings for the front and rear sights (they're tennifer treated), and Meprolite the tritium vials. Glock nightsights are warranted for 15 years.

Best, Jon

3. 2nd2none

2nd2none
    Expand Collapse

I think there is a controversy, on the sights being tennifer. I don't think they are as do many others. As Jon said the vials are made by Meprolite etc. I like them better then my old Meps and probably the current ones. The Meps front sight is too wide, Glocks is more narrow then the Meps brand but wider then the Trijicons. The thing I don't like is that the Glock night sights is that the front sight is the pressed in kind there is no nut. So if your putting them in yourself(not you in general) they won't be as secure by pressing in the front sight manually then how the factory does it. I don't have any experience in this matter of putting in GNS so I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    The GNS is a great budget set of night sights if your getting them installed from the factory.

4. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01
    Expand Collapse

For $57 you CANNOT beat the factory night sights. I love mine!!! brightest I've ever seen!

Alex

Khalsa likes this.
  5. 2nd2none

2nd2none
    Expand Collapse

Did you put yours in yourself? If so how well is the front sight? I am very curious, I thought about getting them but just spent an extra $25 and went with Ameriglos

6. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

I like my Trijicons the best but the factory night sights aren't bad at all. I'm yet to see any other brand of night sights that are as bright or brighter than Trijicon.

7. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal
    Expand Collapse

I'm very happy that I got my G27 with factory night sights....no complaints at all, very bright for me at least.

8. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01
    Expand Collapse

No ed's public saftey put them on in Stockbridge, GA.

I have no idea what you are asking about the front sight....

Alex

9. OUSooner

OUSooner
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the input and replies guys.

On the front sight though, I just bought a nib G17 with Glock night sights and my front sight has a nut on the bottom and a screw going all the way through the front sight. Maybe they changed them?

10. OMEGA5

OMEGA5
    Expand Collapse

I like the Glock Night Sights on my m36 but the TuGlo Tritiam
    Fiber Optics on my m31 are much better due to the brightness of daylight
    shooting as well as being brighter at night. But, like the man said, for $57
    bucks, you can't beat them.
    Dano

11. 2nd2none

2nd2none
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't think of the word before, but the front sight has to be staked in. I heard when you stake it in by hand with the Glock tool it doesn't do as good of a job compared to when it comes from the factory. Because when doing it by hand the front sight may come loose after awhile due to it not being staked in very well. I was wondering if there was any truth to this or not, so I was asking if your front sight is nice and tight etc...

12. JonInWA

JonInWA
    Expand Collapse

2nd2None (and others)-as stated on pg 7 of the Glock Armorer's Manual (and by my Armorer's Course instructor), Glock-branded metal sights are Tennifer treated-both their tritium and steel non-tritium sight bodies.

According to the current Armorer's Manual, all currrent Glock front sights are to be screw-on (including the polymer ones).

Best, Jon

13. itsveryniiice

itsveryniiice
    Expand Collapse

15 years?!?! NIIIICE! Im stoked mine are going to last that long, glad I paid the extra $25 (used, made in 09). If their tenifer coated it sure wore off quick compared with how long that crap stays on the slide

14. 2nd2none

2nd2none
    Expand Collapse

This is good news, I am glad to hear Glock is ditching the staked on front sight. Some GT members need to get their stories straight then about the Tennifer finished sights, some even armorers go back and forth on this matter...:dunno: Thanks for the info Jon

15. JonInWA

JonInWA
    Expand Collapse

Itsveryniiice, the tennifer is a treatment that penetrates into the metal surface-it's colorless itself. The black wearing off is the final black oxide finish. It's the tennifer that provides the essential anti-corrosive properties to the steel.

Best, Jon

16. 2ninersavo

2ninersavo
    Expand Collapse

Three days ago Glock told me that the night sights are screw on and the steel sights that are in stock are all stake/crimp/non screw on. So it may take some time for the old stock to be depleted.

17. JonInWA

JonInWA
    Expand Collapse

That doesn't particularly surprise me, 2ninersavo. It makes sense for them to deplete their existing stocks. The part about the steel sights is interesting, though. There are actually two sets of steel (non-tritium) front sights that have been available from Glock Parts-a proprietiary Glock-labeled sight, identical to their tritium front sight, and one sold uniquely through Glock, but actually made for them by Trijicon-it was a screw-on, and identical in shape profile to the ziggurat-shaped polymer front sight; it (unfortunately) is not in the current Parts Suppliment to the US Armorers Manual.

What I've discerned through the years is that if a front sight was available in both screw-on and crimp-on varients, Glock tended to use the crimp-on ones as OEM sights (I believe that they're easier to install on a production line, and Glock's installation equipment is sufficient to provide a relatively durable attachment), and provide the screw-on varient for after-market sales. I've observed this approach personally regarding the Trijicon sights provided as optional OEM sights and aftermarket sights from Glock Parts.

Best, Jon

18. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

It is true that Glock is using a screw on front sight now, thats what mine came with and they were just the standard non-tritium sights. I replaced them with Ameriglo Pro Operators, Green front, yellow rear. Love the Ameriglo's.

And yes, Meprolite makes the tritium vials for the Glock NS's.

When it comes to brightness, tritium is tritium, all NS's with tritium should be just about the same brightness as long as they were produced within the same period of time.

19. RayB

RayB
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Member

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

--Ray

20. RayB

RayB
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Member

In a communiqué to me from an Israeli Meprolight rep, he wrote this, in part...

Note: Meps are designed so that the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight does.

--Ray