close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock factory barrel vs. Lead

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tq_g22, Feb 8, 2012.

1. tq_g22

tq_g22 Young Gun

I was just doing a little research on some lead i planned to buy for reloading but then i read somewhere that its not smart to shoot lead through a factory glock barrel (no reasoning was given). Is this correct? OR am i good to go? btw its a g22.

2. sglock45

sglock45

no lead in a glock factory barrel git an after market lone wolf barrel and you'll be gtg

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. vmann

vmann Controller

i would go with what the manual says, but for the record, my first glock was a 22, 1994...i was in the army, and shot a few thousand rounds of lead wad cutter reloads through it without a hicup...i still have the weapon in question....

4. allegro

allegro

Best ot avoid lead, but if you do, be certain to do a good cleaning and inspection of the barrel.

5. thinkfast

thinkfast

A decent Lone Wolf barrel w/conventional rifling will only set you back about 100 bucks--then you can safely shoot lead to your heart's content.

6. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

I know there are a lot of people around here that shoot lead through their Glocks no problem. But my experience with lead from lightly loaded (147 gr, 850 fps) has been nothing but a headache. My take on the issue, spend the money on an aftermarket barrel.

7. tq_g22

tq_g22 Young Gun

Thanks fellas. I think i might buy the extended barrel... are there any pros or cons to this? or should i just stick with the normal length?

8. MajorD

MajorD

yes glock inc says no lead but it also says no reloads which almost everyone who shoots extensively does. Shoot 100 rounds, brush bore repeat. that is all you need to do to avoid any issues shooting lead in glocks. The VAST majority of aftermarket barrels regardless of make would appear to have tighter chambers which can cause functional issues- most guys at my club go buy an after market barrel- "to shoot lead" only to find out the reloads they are using (which often fit in a case check gauge and function fine in the factory glock barrel or other pistols) won't function in the barrel they bought specifically for the purpose- they then send the barrel back to get the chamber opened up- a WHOLE LOT of tail chasing for nothing.-use the factory barrel -keep it clean end of story.

9. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

I think this is 100% correct.

Personally, I was not too impressed with the AM barrels I saw {2 company's}. I bought a 6" factory Glock 17L barrel for my G17 and found it to be a dead-on equal in fitting to my factory 17 bbl. If I ever get another G20 I'll buy a Glock 6" bbl for it, not an AM bbl. Just my $.02.

10. humphreys19

humphreys19

MajorD has it right. Use fairly hard cast bullets that fit the bore, and clean the barrel as needed and lead is no problem. My G20 and G21 have seldom seen a factory load, and about half of the reloads shot through them have had lead bullets. Any leading usually wipes out with a dry brass brush easily.

Tom

11. tq_g22

tq_g22 Young Gun

Thanks everyone! Im just gonna buy the lead and keep my barrel clean. I never shoot more than 50-100 rounds at a time anyways. So there shouldnt be too much build up.

12. MaineJim

MaineJim

Been casting and shooting lead bullets since the late eighties ,once you combine the right hardness, diameter and preassure level lead bullets leave no lead whatsoever in
    Glock barrels.

13. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Congrats for not listening to the fear-mongers here. I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds of lead in my Glocks with no problems.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Man that is complete garbage ! I have been shooting lead through Glocks for ever and a day. Mostly the 10mm, but a barrel is a barrel. Can't believe everything we read, as you know amigo ! ;)

If you reload and buy your lead from Hunters Supply you will have the brinell hardness you need, to have a very decent bullet that will NOT crack bust split or hardly deform even when it encounters two shoulder bones on deer. Deer is the limit IMO for the 10mm, but it will (with the HC bullets of proper make end to end deer. Your G22 with a HS 180gr will kill a close range deer, BUT I must admit I do not reccomend these service calibers, and have hard enough time suggesting the 10mm, but at least the "latter" has enough punch to be used for varmints or deer.

As for your stock barrel G22, HS makes a great bullet and I have usually slight to NO fouling with them. I check the barrel every so often to make sure things are cool and then carry on. Once in a while I'll swab out the barrel with a copper brush a time or two and carry on.

The BHN (hardness of the above mentioned bullets) runs 18bhn with HS, With 3-6% antimony so the bullet does not break up on impact with super hard objects.

Now, There is nothing wrong with getting a KKM, Or a Lone Wolf barrel and they give greater case support and life but not any better accuracy IMO.

I use an AM barrel sometimes ONLY to save the brass life, that is it !

My G20 stock barrel with HC bullets is very accurate out at extremely long range shooting on the ranch.

Cast are fun to shoot and cost less than buying up a bunch of light powered ammo. Stay away from Double Tap lead. It is the worst we've tested, and the construction and quality cannot hold a candle to the HS.

So, Brass life, get an AM barrel. If brass is not a concern to you and you want to shoot Hard Cast bullets in the Glock barrel go do 'er and have fun! Just check every 30 shots or so and see how things look and use the right lead as I suggested above , you'll be fine.

BTW... If you go with the HS use the 155gr or the 180gr. Do not use the new Pentagon HP cast in the stock barrel because it is to soft imo. I have 2,500 of these from HS he sent me to run test for him. He his a great friend of mine and we've know each other a long time and he makes a very great product. But he softened the PHP's so they would get expantion. You can use them in the stock barrel, but I really do not reccomend it for the BHN is only about 10/11. To soft for the stock barrel imo. The rest, non hollow points are all fine.

Try and keep you HC at 18 to 22 bhn in the stock barrel.... NO problems !

http://www.hunters-supply.com/shop/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=752eac7daa406eb92ba90c1479d3561c

Good shooting !

CM

15. 1911master

1911master

The very first Glock I had was a first gen 17. At the time I was shooting a Hipower, HK P7 and the 17. I shot lead in all of them with no problems. Would I do the same today, sure.

16. dkf

dkf

The seasoned reloaders shoot plain old hardcast lead through OE Glock barrels all the time. Another false internet rumor.

17. pat701

pat701

Lead is the reason God invented "Kroil"

18. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

The only Glocks with stock barrels that I will shoot lead out of are the G27,G23,G22,and G35, course those are all I have and no problems in 18 yrs. or so of 180 gr. Lead Flat Nose boolits.:supergrin:

19. Topknot

Topknot

I won't do it. Polygonal barrels and lead = bad ju ju from everything I've read. Most of the kabooms were traced back to this, AFAIK.

20. Topknot

Topknot

Interesting. Standard rifling is the same as polygonal rifling, eh?