close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock CC

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by rong, Jul 31, 2012.

1. rong

rong
    Expand Collapse

Hello folks,
    I've been told on other forums
    that I'm too cautious for not
    carrying one in the pipe during
    my everyday carry.
    I just don't feel comfortable.
    Same with a 1911 c&l.
    I practice pulling the gun racking the
    slide and firing and I'm not bad at it.
    Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks-Ron

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0
    Expand Collapse
    RTF2 Addict

Please Google the Tueller Drill and let me know how you fair. Thanks.

3. CaneyCat

CaneyCat
    Expand Collapse

Keep your finger out of the hole till it is time to shoot and everything is fine.

4. sglock45

sglock45
    Expand Collapse

keep your finger off the bang switch and you'll be fine

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

#5 HKLovingIT, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. Sgt127

Sgt127
    Expand Collapse

I think Glocks are fine guns. I carry one ever day, in a holster, on my hip. Off duty, I like carrying a gun appendix, inside waistband. I am not comfortable carrying a Glock that way so, I use a Sig P239 with the DAK trigger. I like the idea of a longer trigger and a hammer I can put my thumb on when I reholster.

I would not carry a gun without a round in the chamber, its too slow to get into action if necessary.

Either accept that the Glock is safe to carry with a round in the chamber....or,

Continue to carry the way you do, but, be aware that its very difficult to chamber a round while a bad guy is charging you, you are being beaten, your left hand is keeping a box cutter off your throat, whatever...or,

Buy a different gun that you are comfortable carrying in a condition that is ready for immediate use.

No one says you have to carry a Glock. No one says you must carry a round in the chamber.

7. simotek

simotek
    Expand Collapse

I used to be a little nervous about carrying with a round in the chamber when I first started. But then as I got a little more comfortable with just having the pistol on me I would start to go over the internal action. When you think about how it works you realize the only way your Glock will fire is if you pull the trigger. And in a proper holster there is no way anything will get inside the trigger guard resulting in an AD/ND.

You just have to be extra careful when you holster the pistol. Always take care to make sure no clothing gets caught up or your finger doesn't slip.

8. JBS

JBS
    Expand Collapse

Mic Holster, look at their video :supergrin:

#8 JBS, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. Sgt127

Sgt127
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate that. The Mic holster is brilliant. I just can't do it. Lots of people do, and, they are good with it. The thought of a 70% or so cocked pistol pointed at my femoral artery makes me queazy. I can't carry a 1911 like that either or an M&P etc. On my hip, I'm fine, I can handle a crease in my ass cheek if something goes wrong.

10. JBS

JBS
    Expand Collapse

I like the Kangaroo for off Duty Glock carry also. Oh, and the models do have on a holster!
    This is all related ( OP ) to carrying a “Hot Glock” :supergrin::wavey:
    http://kangaroocarry.com/

11. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Millennium Member

Try this exercise to build your confidence.

1. Clear your weapon and double check that it is unloaded with no magazine in it.

2. Rack the slide to set the trigger

3. Place it in a holster

4. Point the holstered pistol in a safe direction and try to pull the trigger without removing the pistol from the holster. Try real hard.

12. scccdoc

scccdoc
    Expand Collapse

Me too. I saw a video about the Israelis who carry unchambered. There routine for rack and fire was impressive.Practice................

13. simotek

simotek
    Expand Collapse

Another benefit of carrying chambered is that you can carry +1. Never know when you might need that extra round!

14. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

How many times has the trigger on your carry firearm been in the "fired" position after you pulled it out of the holster?

The only time I'm really worried is when I have to reholster, due to where I'm going (church, hospital, post office...) If I can't reholster due to where my vehicle is located or positioned, then I'll leave the firearm within reach until I can get to a safe spot to get it back in the holster safely.

If you handle all weapons as if they're loaded, then you'll do just fine.

15. ghostrider88

ghostrider88
    Expand Collapse

Evan if you are the fastest on earth its still time ,and time is the differance between getting a shot off or getting shot, 1 in the pipe for me just my 02

16. TTex

TTex
    Expand Collapse
    Cannon Fodder

+1

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. Adamz04

Adamz04
    Expand Collapse

Ditto that, I used to appendix carry all the time with a kahr and glock and eventually I reached the same conclusion. I moved to 4 o'clock and realized I'd rather have a skimmer down my butt than no junk in a worst case scenario.

18. lvl1trauma

lvl1trauma
    Expand Collapse

Load your gun, dude. The last thing that should be on your mind when you have to pull it in defense is whether or not it is loaded. If you have to pull the pistol, then it is game on- said gun better be loaded.

Also, my guess is you need some serious range time to get confidence in your gun. I am not talking a out a box of 50 or 100 rounds. I am talking a minimum of 500 rounds.

If you still don't want to load your carry gun then at least get your family a good life insurance policy.

19. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I usually don't carry with a round in the chamber unless I've going somewhere I know the chances of a crime rises or anywhere I've not been before.

I fully agree with those who say a defender is better prepared with a loaded chamber but my particular staid lifestyle leads me to think a chance of a negligent discharge for me is greater than a criminal attack. And the number of honest GT members' admission to having had NDs has caused me to become more firm in my desire to put safety over preparedness.

This is a personal decision, and speaking only for myself I do not ever want to become a poster child for the Brady Campaign. As long as I keep my arms well hidden as the ancient adage recommends I hope that if a deadly situation every arises I will see it developing and have the extra second to rack the slide. (Making me wonder if I should buy a DAO micro revolver for CCW to compliment my current pistols.)

20. MLittle

MLittle
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't carry a pistol WITHOUT a round in the chamber.

You may want to consider the type action you have on your carry weapon. Seriously consider moving to a double action/single action pistol. The first trigger pull is long and heavier than the short/single action pull. For example, the standard da/sa Sig Sauer has a 10lb double action pull followed by a 4.4lb single action pull. Having the heavier first trigger pull gives me confidence that I will not accidentally pull the trigger since it takes a deliberate action to make that first trigger pull. I have Glocks that I carry once and a while, but my primary carry pistols are Sigs.