Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Glock and other handguns carried with 1st round chambered.

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Lakota, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Lakota

Sep 12, 2011
    Hi Boss - I mean Mas : )

Been disagreed with a number of times by CCWs that nobody should ever carry a handgun (in a proper holster) with a chambered round.

I talk to them about the adrenalin dump - especially when the good guy is surprised (ambushed, etc.), and practise and 'muscle memory' and that, should the 'gravest extreme' happen to you - you may not have time (at all); except to draw and fire (as well as you have practised).

Getting quite a few friendly arguments on this (chambered round) issue.

Please tell me if my proffered explanation is or not correct.

Best regards to you and yours,
    - Kai
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    I go with the round in the chamber philosophy. The handgun is primarily a reactive weapon. NYPD SOP-9 studies indicate that it will be fired one-handed roughly half the time. The attacker may be physically on you, making it impossible to rack the slide with the other hand, and the one-handed fixes for that don't work too well in dynamic movement.

Only times I'd go chamber empty would be with a pistol that wasn't drop-safe (and why would we carry one of those anyway?), or if I had a striker-fired pistol without a trigger-guard protecting holster, and for some reason had to carry it holsterless in pocket or inside the waistband.