close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 9mm major load data, HS6

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mike g35, Oct 23, 2012.

1. PhilD

PhilD
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I run an OAL of 1.160" with no problems at all with a KKM barrel. If I go to 1.170" I start getting mag issues.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

The issue was not the barrel, but the area in the opening of the slide. It was too short to eject a loaded round. I always had to shoot the last round to get it out of the gun.

3. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

In a Glock? I load to 1.150 and have room to spare in terms of the ejector port.

4. PhilD

PhilD
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I haven't had any ejection issues at all with loaded rounds, even at 1.170" the only issues I had were mag issues. Maybe the ejector was too long?

#44 PhilD, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. SDGlock23

SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

I think Longshot can do 9mm major. I'm not sure the bbl length the OP is running, but I've got the 124gr over 1300 fps before with Longshot (6gr), but need 1335 to make major, a long barrel would definitely be your friend here. I would think it might be a lot easier sticking with the .40.

#45 SDGlock23, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

I wish I still had the gun, a 1st gen G17. If I loaded longer than 1.134" or so it was impossible to eject loaded rounds. The window was too small. I don't know, maybe that has changed?

I started out just loading as long as I could and still be able to load the rounds in the magazine with good reliability. All was great until I tried to eject a loaded round from the chamber... :dunno:

7. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

I've ejected factory rounds out of 1st gen G17's that were much longer than 1.134. Saami is something like 1.170. There is no way Glock, or anybody, would sell a gun that can't be cleared other than by shooting it. Are you saying that all those Glocks can't be cleared? Was your Glock different than everybody elses'?

8. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what ELSE to tell you. It WOULD NOT EJECT LOADED ROUNDS AT EVEN 1.140"

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I can believe it... Some Gen 1 G17s were known to have slightly smaller ejection ports causing this issue made more prevalent by the 90 degree extractor angle. Dale Rhea talks about it in several of his blogs and gives numerous detail fixes for milling/machining out the ejection ports in limited and open GSSF guns.

MikeG35, have a look over at Gunbots blog http://gunbot.wordpress.com/ Loke has moved over from .38 Super comp to 9mm Major this year and has been developing a 9mm Major load over the closing months of the last season. He has a thread going over there detailing his load development with various bullets. I heard he actually got a partial Hodgdon sponsorship so is using HS-6 as his primary 9mm Major powder. I know and shoot with Loke he's one of our core guys in NWPPA and wouldn't surprise me to know in his research and load development that he's been in contact with Hodgdon getting as much information as possible.

10. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

I read the Dale Rhea stuff and he lowered the ejection port to help spent brass clear a scope. I didn't see any mention of it concerning unfired ammo not fitting out of the ejection port and needing to be fired. Do you have any further info on this?

This would be an incredibly dangerous situation, a gun that can't be unloaded. By incredible, I mean just that, not to be believed. It would be like Honda selling cars with no brakes. The Austrian army etc were issued guns that couldn't be cleared?

11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Yes, Dales mods primarily are for scope clearance issues on open guns. He however also talks of opening of ports for better extraction in general.

Obviously this was a design issue on Glocks part, much like the cracking frame issue there have been several incidents of manufacturing escapements that may or may not affect the reliability of some/all guns. It didn't happen with all short loaded rounds, in all bullet profiles and when fired and cycled normally no issues. Just when hand cycling.

I have read in the past from Dales blogs and others about certain GEN 1 guns being uncooperative in respect to ejection issues with longer bullets. That is one the main reasons Glock went to the 45 degree extractor angle (gives a larger opening). It all depends on the cycling pattern of the gun. A combination of tight port with 90 degree extractor, hand cycling, weak spring etc... It can happen. Just recently the Gen 4 issues. In the past the extractor claws on the LCIs when first released.

I'll pull a few of my Glock build reference books and PM you the titles and chapters when I get a chance. Off Like I said, I have read of such issues, however never owned a Gen 1 so can't say that it could never happen.

#51 Boxerglocker, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  12. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Didn't look very hard, but maybe NATO spec 124s have an OAL of =/<1.134. I did measure some AE factory 124 FMJs I have around and they were way long... 1.150.

#52 SARDG, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Factory WWB (which is RN) is close to 1.169.
    MOST JHP are much shorter from the factory. Never measured one that is that long.

What Ammo are you referring to? JHP, RN, TC?

If the port was too small you would send it back to GLOCK and they would correct the machining error.

A properly made Glock will eject RN rounds that are 1.169". Of this I have zero doubt. But if you are loading JHP's to 1.169 (which is not a within spec round) you can easily have issues.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Glad you brought that up. That he is running a open gun in 9mm Major. I am sure he is loading as long as possible, he is likely using JHP's as well or some TC bullet of some sort. Either way, adding a scope that is near the ejection port is not a issue Glock even should consider. That is on the open gun builder. If that is the entire issue under discussion then this is a silly conversation.

15. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

.. or like Toyotas careening out of control down the highway... :upeyes:

16. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Yeah, funny how all of that happened just when obama took over Toyota's biggest competitor, GM. Also, funny how none of that was able to be reproduced under any kind of lab conditions by anybody including the US gov. Also funny how it just happens to dovetail with income for trial lawyers. I like how the CHP officer who killed his family in one couldn't figure out how to turn the car off or pop it in N when they are known to some of the best trained emergency drivers in the world. Why investigate it as a murder/suicide when you can bushel it off on the latest craze of runaway Toyotas. And yes, I owned a Toyota at that time and refused to let the dealer do the "upgrade" every time they changed the oil. So, no, I don't believe that Toyota would sell a car that couldn't be stopped.

17. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

My stepmother had it happen twice to her before all the news accounts of this came out. She just traded it in on another car because she didn't trust it. Luckily for her the "accidents" only involved property damage.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

It happens every day. It happens with every make of car. I have personally taken reports of people who have rammed their cars right through their garages. It's driver error or some type of mechanical failure that can be found. What is the failure in Toyotas? NO ONE knows. We know why Space shuttles blew up, they reconstruct plane crashes and find washers that fail, but no one, not the Govt. not the trial lawyers, can find one thing that fails in the Toyotas.

I'm sure your step-mother is a lovely woman, but I put her in the same group as people who shoot their TV's and claim the gun went off by itself. Operator error.

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Brakes just don't work. It's the cars fault. Audi got crucified for this. American's have such a lazy attitude about driving it's impossible to make a care safe enough for this group of inattentive idiots.

20. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Seasoned citizens are notorious for stabbing the accelerator instead of the brake. One time a guy drove completely through his detached garage and off the retaining wall behind it into his neighbor's yard. He was decent, and lucent enough, to admit he hit the wrong pedal.

There isn't a car on the road that the brakes won't overpower the engine even at full throttle. I've seen demos on TV with 6 liter AMG's going 70 and both pedals stomped to the floor, the cars stopped.

Yes, Audi got railroaded thanks to 60 minutes or 20/20 whichever.