close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 9mm major load data, HS6

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mike g35, Oct 23, 2012.

1. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any 9mm major load data using HS6 for use in a Glock. I've been shooting USPSA open division with my 40 cal Carver Custom racegun but I want to switch to 9mm major for the added magazine capacity. Plus 9 major is much flatter shooting. I have data using AutoComp but I prefer to use HS6 for this as I do in my other loads to keep things more uniform and easy to keep track of. Please advise, thanks.
    View attachment 228557

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought the forums at BrianEnos.com got into this stuff.

Richard

3. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    They do and I've found info there but it's always good to gain as much data as possible, ESPECIALLY when dealing with something like 9mm major.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    It's simply a matter of adding more powder as you chrono rounds. You keep going until you hit your target velocity or your gun blows up. If your gun doesn't blow up, you keep going and just hope things don't add up and cause your gun to blow up at some time in the future. Nobody can really help you with that.

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    WiskyT has it right ^^^

There isn't much discussion on this forum for loads that are completely off the charts.

If you really want to go 9mm major, why not try 9x25 Dillon? There is barrel that fits the G20 and the 10mm magazines are supposed to work.

I haven't looked for, nor have I seen, any load data for the 9x25 so, AFAIK, all the loads will be 'Internet loads' and, personally, I wouldn't shoot them on a bet.

Richard

6. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    mikeg35,

This is the only load info I have for 9mm using Hodgdon HS6 and the 124g FMJ bullet. I used my numbers from the Speer Reloading Manual #14, they tested their 9mm loads with a S&W M5906 w/4" barrel.

Primer - Federal - Small Pistol Primers #100
    Bullet - 124g RN FMJ .355" dia. (Precision Delta)
    Bullet length - .606 "
    Powder - Hodgdon HS6- 6.5g
    Powder range - 6.0g up to 6.7g (Speer)
    Burn rate - #42 www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
    Bullet seating OAL - 1.135" (Speer)
    Velocity - 1,059 fps (for max 6.7g from Speer)
    Velocity - 1,121.4 fps my 5 shot average @ 73 degrees
    Test Gun - Glock 17 w/4.49" Barrel

You still have room to test here so work up your loads carefully. I hope this will give you someplace to start, good luck in your tests.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  7. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    Thanks for the info!! I don't know why folks are so scared of 9mm major. I know ALOT of guys that run it every weekend and they NEVER have any issues. The typical load is 7.1gr of AutoComp using a quality 124gr FMJ at 1.150 OAL. I'm testing some 124's tomorrow with 7.1gr of HS6 at 1.135 using a PD 124gr FMJ. Looks like major will fall at around 8 grains with HS6, but I still prefer to load up to that as opposed to starting at some charge weight I got off the net. I actually have a 9mm racegun to test in, as I pass this current charge weight I'm going to lengthen my OAL. I'll just watch for signs of overpressure and step it up slowly. Thanks guys.

8. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

Aug 24, 2003
    Lakewood, CO
    You'll get to Major long before you see pressure signs with HS-6. With 124's, start at 7.4gr and go up by .2gr at a time, up to about 8.2gr. Depending on the powder lot and your barrel speed, you might need to go up a smidge more than that.

9. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Because there is absolutely no point in running the ragged edge for the sake of a gun game.

Those silly fellers with pressure testing gear don't even recommend trying major loads with .38 super:

...and you want the same performance from a smaller cartridge. Food for thought.

10. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    Those silly fellers with pressure testing gear have old guns, unsupported chambers and lawyers to worry about. If your gun is set up for it, have fun.

Cant help with the HS-6, I use Longshot.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    And you load as absolutely long as your barrel allows. Even have it reamed if you need to to get the length up to increase case volume.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Well, if your not winning it's probably not worth it. :whistling:

:supergrin:

13. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    ...says the guy that barely makes minor.

:tongueout:

I know it's all been done before, I just don't see how it's a good idea with a new or old gun. Like racing with a 4-cylinder Ford Fiesta and running it at 7,000 rpm's and expecting it to hang in there.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO

132 PF is more then "barely"....And I get scored MINOR.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  15. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    You can get major pretty easy and cheaper with .357sig vs 9x25. And you can buy a Glock from the factory ready to shoot it.

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Using 357SIG brass will negate the extra capacity he wants. He needs 9mm Major with 9mm brass to load nearly 30 rds in the gun from the start. People do 9mm Major all the time. Before when they were running 175PF (and people loaded to 180PF or more) it was not very safe at all. Now PF for major is only 165PF and it's pretty easy to get major with 9mm. It's not factory level of pressure. But it's doable.

17. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Nestled deep in the heart of each and every gear queer is the need for those extra few rounds. After all, it might mean changing mags an extra one or two times during the course of the match! Better to run 40,000+ psi loads in order to shave off that second and a half...

:upeyes::supergrin:

I'll apologize to everyone and just say that to me, when you are getting to the point where this stuff matters, it's like saying you are at the pinnacle in your game and there's absolutely no room for improvement. You have to find a different load or some gear to get any better. I know some people do get to that point. What the hell... I've fallen into the trap on an item or two myself (but not in a Little Stevie brokeback mountain sort of way :whistling: ).

It all reminds me of my 275 pound dad on water skis trying to get up out of the water as we pegged out the throttle on the bass tracker. :rofl:

18. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Wind been workin' in your favor lately?

:cool:

19. Yep, that's Mike - one of our GSSF racer shooters. :wavey: :rofl:

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Too me, the crazy part is shooting a Glock in open. Pick a better gun IMHO.

Lyman has standard pressure data to get the 9x21 to major. If you load 9mm long its basically the same as 9x21. Pressure is no a huge issue if you load long.