Glock Talk banner

Glock 42 buy ?

2K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  Gmartin 
#1 ·
Can I assume that purchasing a new 42 now, will be devoid of all previous problems ?
Thanks..

#3 ·
i would assume it would depend on the store's ability to turn over inventory. no doubt some 42's have sat stagnant since the release of the 43. so you could get some earlier iterations of the 42. should be printed somewhere on the glock case i think. there also seem to be some utilities online that you can enter the coding from the barrel to determine production date.

#9 ·
halfmoonclip is the G42 expert around here if you want to message him. In short, you just want to check to see if the magazines are the "03" revision. Something else to feel for is if it has the 564 connector; you can't verify this as it requires a strip detail but you don't want to the trigger to be too heavy.

Reactions: acro
#12 ·
I have a 42 that has been flawless. You will not have a problem with the 42's reliability and ability to handle most, if not all, types of ammo. But I'm going to sell because I just can't shoot it the way I want to. Nothing wrong with it, but I'm not as accurate with it as I am with the Sig P230SL.

#25 ·
It is funny the different impressions we all have.

I am really torn right now, my G42 may be the easiest gun I have ever shot to get comfortably to very accurate rapid fire. It has been faultless in feed with a wide variety of ammo (both commercial and my reloads), it is just a super confidence inspiring gun.

I have a Kahr 380 that is smaller and easier to conceal than the G42 in pocket carry and AIWB with shorts and tee shirts, but it hasn't been anywhere near as easy to shoot well and it hasn't been as tolerant of as wide a range of ammo (although I do have fully reliable ammo options figured out, just not omni feed like the G42).

As summer has wound down for this year and my lightest summer garb is probably in my rear view mirror, I will be switching soon to 9mm for my EDC, I have mulled maybe selling my G42. I think I will wait until next year before making any permanent decisions. In the end, if I end up always carrying my Kahr in the warmest months, I will likely just keep the G42 as I am just too fond of it, even if she ends up mainly in safe queen duty.... :)

#14 ·
My G42 was new enough to have the #2 marked frame and 33564 connector, so it must have been produced post February, 2016.

The S/N is ABYPxxx

It has not been problem free. The RSA would catch on the dust cover of the frame depending on it's circular position for lack of another word. A replacement RSA corrected that. I'm still troubleshooting failure to extract issues. Fingers crossed that issue is fixed, it may even have been me. Still testing. Follow this thread for the latest status of that issue

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-failure-to-extract-how-does-this-happen.1636385/

#15 ·
I've had my G42 for about a month now.
It eats Critical Defense, HST's, Gold Dots, WWB, AE & Federal ball ammo.
I probably now have about 600 rounds through it with zero failures of any kind.
It's reliable, super accurate & fun to shoot. I absolutely love it.
You should buy one.

#17 ·
I've had my G42 for about a month now.
It eats Critical Defense, HST's, Gold Dots, WWB, AE & Federal ball ammo.
I probably now have about 600 rounds through it with zero failures of any kind.
It's reliable, super accurate & fun to shoot. I absolutely love it.
You should buy one.
I'm trying , but I need a reliable back up. Not a hit and miss.
I'm very dissapointed with Glock on their builds the last few years. WTF happend ?

#18 ·
Now , I'm thinking to switch to the 43. They are touchy as well, I see.
Oh well, I'm a gen 3 guy and expect perfection.lol
I've never had any kind of malfunction with any of my 9's ; 17,19,26 .
Do I really have to go back to a J frame :((

#20 ·
I picked up a Talo G43 a few months ago and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. I feel that it conceals just as well IWB, if not better, than my Performance Center 442 j frame. For the occasional pocket carry, the j frame is easier for me to conceal.

I'm also looking to get a G42, but to use it for GSSF pocket GLOCKS.

#21 ·
My 43 has been 100% reliable.

In fact, out of 13 Glocks, 12 purchased new and 9 of those in the last 4 years, my 42 has been the only one with reliability issues. I did have to fix "back to face" on a 3 of them . No parts, just a little fitting of the extractors. And one didn't like aluminum cased ammo that needed a new extractor.

#24 ·
I've had two G42's made about a year ago, and two other early production that had lots of problems but were updated by Glock about six months ago.

Once I got through the first 100 rds with each, they have now fired about 3,000 rds total and are working just fine. Recoil is like a.22 and they ride nicely in a pocket holster in my Dockers. For me, the G43 was just a bit too big and heavy to work as a pocket gun.
As always, YMMV.

#26 ·
No.

I have one I bought over a year ago. It's pretty much flawless. I liked it so much I bought another in May 2016. Had all the new parts. Lot's of problems. Recently sent it back to Glock and they replaced all the parts except the slide and poly frame.

When a G42 is working, I think it's an awesome pistol.

#29 ·
nickolaz, thanks for the attaboy, but Jim ^^^^^ has been where I learned most of it.
The easy check for up-to-date parts is to look for the 03 magazines and check the trigger pull; if it is silly heavy, then it is likely the old connector.
I love J-frames, but the alloy ones are handpounders, and the steel ones are heavy for a pocket. Even with fiber optic front sights on the Smiths, the standard Glock sights are easier to acquire. The 42s are sweethearts to shoot, and noticeably smaller than the 43.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Moon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.