close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 38, 45 GAP questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Buckshot Barry, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry
    Expand Collapse

I own a 19 and 23 and thinking about what to purchase with next years GSSF coupon.

Is the Glock 38 frame an exact duplicate of the 19/23 frame excluding ejector and maybe locking block?

Is it hard to load the 8th round in to the magazine or is there a little free space, unlike the 19 and 23 mags?

Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the frame is the same.

3. AKR

AKR
    Expand Collapse
    GAP'r

It it not hard to load the 8th round in a G38 magazine. I can do it with my fingers if necessary.

The G38 is a great gun. You will enjoy it.

4. Gallium

Gallium
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

GAP guns are different than the other Glocks. The best way to explain it is for you to shoot one.

FOR ME, they shoot more accurately. I really enjoy shooting mine.

5. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Millennium Member

The frame is identical, but a G38 slide is wider. Loading the 8th round is easy. Some folks can load a 9th round, but I do not recommend that.

The G38 is my favorite Glock, and I've owned most. It is my preferred carry Glock, followed by the G39, G37, G19 (in that order).:wavey:

6. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Wait! Isn't there another current (obligatory bi-weekly for the last couple years) thread indicating the .45GAP is going to be extinct this coming Tuesday?? Now you are going to tell me not only are they still making them and selling some but that ammunition for them is still in production??:whistling:

7. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

I just hope Glock releases a Gen 4 G38.In my mind this would be the perfect Glock.

8. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

As others mentioned, the frame is the same, but the slide is wider on the GAP Glocks.

9. glockarmor

glockarmor
    Expand Collapse

I have a 37, 38 OD and 39OD.. Great pistols. I still don't understand why they haven't really "taken off"??? What's not to like about a Glock that is 9MM size shooting a 45 caliber bullet?
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate
    [/FONT]

10. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Probably because Glock is the only company building GAP pistols.

They may be great pistols, but that's not a good recipe for a caliber's popularity. Other companies did build GAP pistols and then dropped them.

11. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

I found out after reading somewhere else that I can get 9 rounds in all 5 of my G38 mags.
    It fits my holster for 23, little tighter but works with no issue.

12. jeremy1

jeremy1
    Expand Collapse

If you are considering a 45 GAP, you won't be disappointed. Only downside for you is that your holsters won't handle the wider slide. It shoots more accurate than my other glocks, and I can't figure out why. My only guess is that the heavier slide weight cuts the muzzle flip.

Buy bulk ammo or reload, and you will be happy. GAP rounds burn close to half the powder of a ACP and that saves probably $10 bucks per thousand. I think small primers are cheaper as well.

13. Dave.1

Dave.1
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking at a Glock spec sheet and the width for a G38 is listed as 30.00mm or 1.18", same as for my G19 and G26. Does anyone have a measurement for the slide width? I'm wondering about holster compatibility.

Thanks

Dave

14. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

The slide is wider on the GAP. The frame is the widest point and they are identical. Not sure about the holsters.

15. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse
    RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

And the sooner, the better! :)

16. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse
    RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

I resemble that remark!

[​IMG]

:)

17. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse
    RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

Yup, it's been my experience that some holsters work fine for both slides and some don't.....just gotta try them to find out.

18. fasteddie565

fasteddie565
    Expand Collapse
    Combat Diver

I have always been a bona fide, dies ion the wool 45 ACP lover and owned a few 9mm's just because.

I met R Lee Ermy in the Houston Airport. We chatted about the service experiences and then i asked him to tell me about the 45 GAP.

Long story short he convinced me to try one.

You can buy a 45 GAP CHEAP, who cares why, my G 37, brand new with 200 rds was only $350. I now have all 3 and reload for it as well. Less powder, small pistol primers make it very economical to shoot.

As stated the slide is wider than that of the 9mm 40 357 brothers, thus the factory extended slide stop.

Holsters with some give, like my Crossbreed supertuck fit the G 19, G 36 and G 38. Others that are more rigid like a BH Serpa, they do not fit so well (Although BH makes a Serpa for the G 38)

Buy one and shoot it. You won't be sorry.

19. D4RWlN

D4RWlN
    Expand Collapse

Same here!

20. JTSmith

JTSmith
    Expand Collapse
    Œgfdrïńëçł

I'm still interested in the GAP for some unknown reason, but I just can't think of a way that any GAP pistol could be better than my 30. I mean seriously, unless you have small hands, what is the advantage? Everyone says they are very accurate, but are they more so than a 30? Doubt it. And the other differences of lower capacity and still having a "thick" slide are not what I call advantages.