close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLOCK 34 Good competition Gun?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by carboneau45, Jan 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. carboneau45

carboneau45

Im looking at getting into shooting competitions. Ive owned many glocks and was wondering if anyone out there would highly recommend the glock 34 for starting out?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Many people use the 34 for competition. Dave Sevigny is well know for winning national championships with one that was close to stock.

I think the 34 may just a little slower than the 17, but a little more accurate - both because of the longer sight radius.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

3. randyc74

randyc74

A stock G34 is my USPSA Production Class pistol. It's also my favorite fun gun and I conceal carry it on occasion.

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

G34 is a great choice for production gun in competitions. I have only been to a few competitions but the G34 seemed to be the most popular in production class, in other classes Ive seen the G34 customed and their pretty :cool:. And its also not a huge cost to tune it up into a full on race gun.

not my pics but still :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:50cal:

5. FNFAN

FNFAN

Great gun! Check the rule books on the particular game you're going to shoot especially if it's IPSIC as they consider it a "special sporting model" rather than a production gun. I don't think they've changed that rule yet.

But -Hell Ya!- it's an accurate fun to shoot gun!

6. Aquagear

Aquagear

I use a 34 for IDPA, they are very popular as an out of the box ready to run competition gun. I do not think you can go wrong with choosing the 34.:wavey:

7. uplinker

uplinker

I use a 34 for USPSA. Runs great.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

carboneau45, as a new competitor, keep in mind that those guns may look cool, but they are only allowed in certain divisions of certain types of comeptitions where new competitors usually don't compete. You can do a LOT more with a stock 34, like shoot IDPA SSP or ESP divisions, USPSA/IPSC production or limited or limited 10, GSSF, etc. - the fully loaded guns pictured above can only be used in categories like USPSA open and GSSF unlimited, where you are competing against the guys on TV and in the gun magazines - that's a couple of years down the road.

Get a dead stock G34, and ordinary belt holster (leather or kydex) with no retention straps or locks, and a couple of single magazine carriers (single let you place them better for access on your belt) and you are ready to start.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. LuckyG

LuckyG

I'm a defensive not a competitive shooter, but about 40 guys I shoot with are primarily IDPA and USPSA shooters. The G34 is going to shoot better than you can.

IMO, Bren has given the definitive answer to your question. Regarding the gun itself, I give you the following observations:

1) I installed a set of Warren Tacticals on my Gen4 G34 - black/black. I have old eyes and find the sights perfect for me. Tall and lots of light on both sides. Also come with fiber or night.

2) The Gen4 G34 with the stock "dot" connector provides a very nice trigger. This is coming from a guy who uses tunned Sigs and 1911's. I left mine stock.

3) I like the Gen4's because of the backstrap system and grip texture. With polymer frames, you can always use some emery cloth or Dremel to make slight modifications to texture and grip areas.

Now your only problem is trying to find one to buy.

10. carboneau45

carboneau45

11. Notyet

Notyet

The "Upgrading Your Glock" article in the February issue of American Rifleman draws the conclusion that Glock 34s and 35s are the most popular pistols for IDPA. Good article.

12. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Yep. Great gun for competition. If you ever want to run major PF, then look at the 35. You can load it for major, or download it for minor.

Or do what I did... buy both!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Well, seeing it was designed and marketed as a competition gun, I'd say the answer was yes?

I used a G17 for a couple of years and then got a G34. I prefer it over the 17 by far.

14. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I carried a G34 on duty as a LEO for years. Shot the same gun in comp and guardian GSSF matches.

They are great guns.

15. Morris

Morris CLM

An outstanding entry level comp gun. Little is needed for tweaking to run it well.

16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

As you can see, the G34 is a very popular competition pistol.

17. carboneau45

carboneau45

Thankyou for the help people. i think I can buy one of these with confidence now.

18. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Yes you can.

19. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

The Glock 34 is the best 9mm ever made for under 700 bucks...

20. FNFAN

FNFAN

:director: Go Global or Go Home.

[​IMG]
    :supergrin: