close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 31 or 22 camping???

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by cosmophonic12, Feb 20, 2009.

1. I'm going camping tomorrow night and want to know what you would take camping with you for people/animal protection. i am thinking my G22 with slugs. what do you think?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    It depends on what you already have to choose from. If you have a G31 and a G22, I'd suggest the G31.

3. GLOCK35TX

GLOCK35TX As seen on TV

Jul 5, 2005
    Texas - DFW
    ....err "slugs" in a G22? whats are those?

Basically it breaks down like this - if the bear is within 25 feet of you and you shoot it with a 40SW - your screwed.

More than likely any bear you encounter in the woods is more interested in your food you brought along or the trash you tossed aside.

4. HAHAHA, i know. FULL METAL JACKETS! i yelled at a guy for saying bullets on another forum.

5. I am also bringing a Remington 870 shotgun so that levels the playing field "somewhat". The G31 i feel is for people protection more than anything.

6. SweetKnuckles

SweetKnuckles WhatTheFrench?

Jan 26, 2009
    Dude, you'll be fine with either.

I go campin alla time up 'round here w/o any issues, plenty of rain has made food and vegetation abundant...unless you're wearing a rib roast around your neck, you're all good. :)

Where you going camping? I'm in the valley as well...this weekend's bad, but I'm anxious to get out and about.

7. GLOCK35TX

GLOCK35TX As seen on TV

Jul 5, 2005
    Texas - DFW
    12 gauge...That is alot better for the four legged, furry things...

I was worried about you just taking a pistol for protection against something (Bear)that can outrun, out climb, out swim almost any human

8. LEAD

LEAD

Jan 9, 2009
    VT
    Although its not an option 10mm would be the best round offered by glock. I know of someone shooting a bear to death shooting at center mass with a g23 a few years ago. I wouldn't count on dropping it with either unless your close enough to shoot through the muzzle or the eye sockets.

9. we are heading up to Fossil Creek area near Camp Verde. doing some fishing and relaxing.

10. SweetKnuckles

SweetKnuckles WhatTheFrench?

Jan 26, 2009
    Nice as rice. I'm jealous.

Rivers and lakes are teeming right now and with the cold weather and snows they've been havin even in Prescott this week, bears'r probably still sleepin.

Either that, or they just woke up and are REEEEEEL hungry!

Have fun.

11. thanks

12. You dont need either, didnt you hear the Bradys? They say the woods are so safe you dont need protection :rofl:Just take someone slower then you for bear food and you'll be alright.

I would go 22:dunno:

13. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

May 21, 2007
    I'd go with whatever you don't mind getting dirty at a campsite:wavey:

14. SlowIsSmoothIsFast

SlowIsSmoothIsFast

Aug 25, 2008
    They're both Glocks, drrrr. :whistling::tongueout:

15. The gun I take camping is the same gun I carry daily.

Glock 17.

16. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    I have a Glock 22 that I take with me when out in the winter. The 40 loaded with FMJ bullets should have enough penetration to penetrate even a bears skull if you did not have the shotgun handy. Any Glock from 9mm on up is a good handgun to take on a camping trip.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  17. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Just carry FMJ in there just in cap the 870 isn't enough.

18. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

There ya go ! ;)

CM

19. I would go with the heavier round if you need true outdoor protection. So that would be 40cal over 357sig in my book.

my 2 cts.