close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 30 - Winchester Ranger or Federal HST

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Mofeen, Jun 13, 2010.

1. I have the luxury at my local shop of being able to choose between these two great rounds. Unfortunately, I dont have enough cash flow to buy a few boxes of each and do my own testing.

Anyone have any opinions on one or the other? I know they are both great rounds, but just looking for anecdotal evidence. Thanks guys.

2. hurley842002

hurley842002

Nov 18, 2009
    Littleton, Co
    Buy a couple boxes of each, test fire for accuracy and reliability in your weapon, and you won't get much better anecdotal evidence then that. The only one that will work better, is the one you can place where it needs to go. If they both work in your Pistol, and you are just as accurate with both of them, then i'd say its a draw, and you probably would be fine with either. Probably not the evidence you are looking for, but just my humble opinion. Stay safe!

3. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    I've got the +P versions of both. Both are first rate in performance. I fired some of the Wnchester version from a 5" 1911 and it clocked an average velocity of 950 f.p.s.. Hauling but for that big 230 gr. bullet. Anything I tried it in it always expanded. My G30 still clocked about 940 f.p.s. with this round. HST's are great rounds to. Fire some of each if you can and see which feels better. No bad choice here.

4. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    Those are the two best options out there so flip a coin.

5. From my readings up to this point, the HST's in +P get 15" in gel and open up to that lovely HST flower. I think last I saw, the "T" was getting 11"? LAPD had to switch to +P in the "T"'s @230gr. because the standard powered "T" series in 230gr. .45acp wasn't opening up. If it were me and my shop had them both? I'd go HST +P 230gr.

6. ColCol

ColCol

Apr 15, 2010
    TN
    I hope that's not the norm as I just ordered two boxes of them.

7. Dogguy

Dogguy

Aug 2, 2008
    Soggy South.
    I would buy whichever costs less and not sweat the differences. Both rounds have good reps.

8. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    In my experience, HST is more accurate than Ranger T.
    YMMV