close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 30 versus glock 30sf

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gbpanther41, May 22, 2012.

1. gbpanther41

gbpanther41

This is my first post andi want to thank everyone for all the information. I am debating on purchasing a glock 30 or a 30sf. I know the only difference is the sf being just a little, little bit smaller in the grip and the trigger being closer. I have read about some of the issues the 30sf is having and was wondering if the 30 is having any issues or if it is the way to go. I have held both side by side and really couldn't tell any difference. If i go the sf route i have to wait 30 days for some to come in and if i get the regular 30 i can get it today. Just wanted to get some more info before i decided. Is there anything that i should look for on the 30 to make sure it is the most up to date model? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Hello gbpanther41, welcome to Glock Talk. :welcome:

The latest trigger with trigger bar for the G30/G30SF is marked with 4256-1- (note the trailing dash). It's not a deal breaker if the G30 has the earlier 4256-1 trigger, but you can easily check for that part (see photo below). It's more important that a G30SF have the latest trigger.

[​IMG]

You can read about the other difference, besides trigger reach, between the G30 and G30SF (the trigger mechanism housing) at my post here: G30SF and Other Glock Short Frame Pistols. I also write about what to expect in the Gen4 G30 likely to be released this year.

If you have your mind set on some aftermarket accessory that interfaces with the grip such as a grip plug, grip-mounted laser, beavertail or magwell adapter, check that the vendor offers the part for the G30 and/or G30SF. They are typically not interchangeable.

Good luck in making your decision. Either model is a terrific choice. We have two G30SF pistols in our household, and both have functioned reliably from the beginning.

See the link in my signature line below for G30/G30SF features and options available.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

3. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

I have the 30SF and have no issues with it and have something like 1200 or rounds thru it... its a great weapon and its my EDC gun...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Wow GTR45, that is some great reference material!! I just got my 30SF yesterday and you answered nearly all questions I had about the big bores... thanks

5. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Ocean_glocker, you're welcome, I'm glad it was helpful to you. I wrote down what I've learned and tested over several weeks and months, hoping it could save some time for others. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  6. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Definitely, now I just need to track down that 9 rd flush mag, and figure out a fix for the mag release stabbing me (lefty).

7. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Don't wait too long if you need 9-rnd mags for your G30SF. Glock is no longer producing the 9-rnd G30 mag according to confirmation I received in a 6/17/2011 e-mail from a Glock District Manager who had verified it with the Tech Services Manager. At that time, he wrote the future availability of new, 9-rnd mags would be limited to current inventory of Glock and vendors. Unless Glock starts manufacturing them again, it will become increasingly difficult to find new 9-rnd mags online.

You can still find G30/30SF 9-rnd mags in significant quantity at the largest online distributors such as Brownells (very expensive), but the inventory is definitely drying up among suppliers. Last year I could find them in several places I checked online, but now they are out of stock or no longer listed. Of course, your local gun store may have a few collecting dust. I expect there will be some available to order by a Glock Certified Armorer from the Glock warehouse in Smyrna, GA until domestic vendor inventory is completely exhausted.

Note the status listed at MidwayUSA.com for the G30 9-rnd mag.

When the Gen4 G30 is released later this year, you could sell the G30SF and get the new Gen4 model with a reversible mag release. :)

I will be upgrading to Gen4 immediately upon the new release. We intend to gift the two G30SF pistols in our household to family relatives when the Gen4 comes out. The relatives are climbing the walls in anticipation of the Gen4 release date.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  8. bcj128

bcj128

GRT45 - as always great info. I have seen numerous of your posts and theyve been very helpful, I picked up a G30SF for an off duty ccw piece. I figured id carry it on occasion when I wanted a 45.

I am the third owner, and likely the last- I just don't see selling this. Gun is from late 2008.

It's now my favorite carry pistol. It's pleasant to shoot, accurate, and carries the 45 ACP.

The SF is best for me and my hand size. No reliability issues - something I can't say for my commander.

[​IMG]

I got the 9 round mag, and a Don Hume 721 OT for carry.

The info above is great, I'll need to check the trigger bar. Also, I need new night sights. Any suggestion out there ?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Yeah, I'd love to get the a gen4 30, but I'm not going to hold my breath on a release date. Too many rumors and/or speculation on that note. But when/If it comes out, I will have a GSSF coupon waiting for it.

For now I'm gonna try to track down or find a low profile mag release, I have suspicions that mine has an extended one. I've had gen 3s that never bothered me this bad.

10. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

bcj128, you have a great set-up with the 9-rnd mag for the G30SF and Pearce +0 grip extension (PG-29).

I wrote about the various night sights I've used with the G30SF and what I liked the best at this link: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18998973&postcount=5

There may be something useful in that post to help you in the evaluation of night sights.

11. ThinkMud

ThinkMud

Either will be a great platform! I have the 30sf and it's been flawless! I shoot it better than my other 5 or so Glocks lol.

Good luck and enjoy!

12. Worldtraveler777

Worldtraveler777

Not to spoil the good mood here, but I just sent my two month old G30SF back for service. It had the latest trigger bar and would eject the brass into my face or on top of my head about 10% of the time. Also, the trigger pull measured ~ 9 lb...

A Glock tech told me today that they would be sending me a new pistol in a couple of weeks. I couldn't be happier with the way Glock handled my problem. Cheers..

13. g30sfjeepguy

g30sfjeepguy

Welcome! I have had my 30 sf for almost 2 years and shoot very often. So far it has been flawless and by far my favorite glock that I have shot so far.

14. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Welcome to GT. I really like the slimmer grip on my 30sf and have had no problems with it at all! Look on gunbroker and buy one like I did and only wait a few days!

15. trip20

trip20

Thanks for the info. My G30sf does not have the trailing dash. The test casing collection date on my gen3 is 02/01/2012.

Can you expand on the statement that it's more important that the sf model contain the part with the trailing dash? Thanks!

16. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

The 4256-1- trigger bar was issued to address problems reported much earlier with a very few G30SF pistols that experienced failure to return to battery malfunctions (FTRTB). The earlier trigger bar marked 4256-1 with a grooved trigger face is marked DISCONTINUED on the Glock Parts Order Form Rev 45.

UPDATE (6/4/2012): The latest revision of the Glock Parts Order Form (Rev 50) now shows the part number associated with the 4256-1- trigger bar is DISCONTINUED and the part number for the 4256-1 trigger bar with grooved trigger (previously marked discontinued) has been reinstated as the standard factory trigger bar for the G30-G30SF.

Either the 4256-1- trigger bar was a temporary measure to address a problem that has since been corrected (most likely), or modifications have been incorporated in the current version of the 4256-1 trigger bar. It's confusing, but those are the facts in the document the factory emailed to me from Smyrna, GA on 6/4/2012.

Supposedly, the 4256-1- trigger bar provides increased clearances and reduces the likelihood of contact with the slide. However, it didn't fix the problem with FTRTB in 100% of the reported cases. If you're not experiencing any malfunctions, I wouldn't worry about changing it out.

The 4256-1- trigger bar has a grooved trigger face and that may not be your preference. You may be aware there is another trigger bar marked 4256-1 with a smooth trigger face for the full-size Gen3/Gen4 G21 and Gen3 G20 pistols (and SF versions). The part number is SP 04417. Some G30/30SF owners substitute that trigger with trigger bar because they prefer the smooth trigger face.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  17. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

I guess your's just missed out...?
    I just double checked mine and I have a test fire date of 02/20/2012 i have the new trigger bar.

18. trip20

trip20

Thanks for expanding on that GRT45.

Darn the luck. Wonder if I should write and request the updated bar. I only have about 50 rounds through this pistol. Hell, maybe less. So it may be that the impending issue simply hasn't surfaced yet.

19. outwest

outwest

I just this morning bought a G30 (not SF). It has the 4256 - 1 trigger bar and the test fire date is 5/7/12. Cleaned it a little bit and went to the range this afternoon. Put 150 rounds through it without a hitch or a hiccup and it was surprisingly accurate and pleasant to shoot. I also have a G21SF and I am hard pressed to tell any difference in the grips. I am very pleased with this G30 and don't plan to change a thing.

20. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

outwest, congratulations, you should expect to have many years of shooting enjoyment with your G30 45ACP. :)