close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 26 vs Smith and Wesson m&p 9c

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by boose88, Feb 9, 2011.

1. boose88

boose88

Mar 2, 2009
    Thinkin about gettin a smaller pistol than my G19 for ccw. Looked up a few things online and ive come up with my own quick comparision

G26- less rounds in the mag, more reliable

S&W- multiple grip widths, ambidexterious mag and slide release(im a lefty so this is good) tougher guide rod, more smooth of a trigger.

Just wanted to get a few more opinions out there and if im missin anything. I love my glock but i just kinda wanted somethin different. anyone have the S&W?

Thanks fellas

2. youngvr4

youngvr4

Mar 2, 2006
    seattle, wa
    strange, i think the trigger on m&ps are worse than glocks. however, i'd say go shoot the both and see if that helps in your decision

3. boose88

boose88

Mar 2, 2009
    yeah i have rented to 26 and will rent the s&w next visit

4. ibuytoys

ibuytoys Millennium Member

Nov 7, 1999
    Honolulu, HI
    G26 Gen 4?

One plus about the G26 is that you can use the short mag as your primary and the G19 mag when you do your mag change.

5. OmniscientX

OmniscientX

Oct 11, 2008
    I believe there is a thread with the same title from a month or so ago with many pages.

The gen 4 G26 has backstaps as well. I would suggest shooting both and see which you prefer. They are both equally as reliable IMO. I prefer the trigger and grip angle on the M&P personally. Both are fine weapons.

6. boose88

boose88

Mar 2, 2009
    ok ill try to look for that thread. thanks

7. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    If you are a practical guy it would make more sense to get the G26 so you can carry one of your G19 mags as your spare mag? That just makes sense.

But sometimes you just need to spice things up and I am guilty of this myself. There is nothing wrong with that as long as at the end of the day you are proficient with what ever you choose, if its doing duty as a CCW gun.

I'd buy an M&Pc in a heart beat even though I CCW my G26 24/7. I own an M&P40 full size and I absolutely love it. I am guessing I'd love its little brother too?

8. Xenogy

Xenogy

Mar 7, 2006
    Washington
    The M&P9c is a pretty sweet gun. I just don't like how big it is. It also weighs more than a G19. I did a side by side a couple months back. I was thinking about getting a M&P9c. In the process I decided not to get it and even sold my M&P9FS and went all Glock again. I just shoot Glocks better. Their pistol selection, size, and weight just make alot more sense.

Here are the pics: Ruger LCP, G26, M&P9c, G23, M&P9FS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Alcoy

Alcoy

Jul 13, 2006
    Virginia
    I have a G19 (still owns), needed a smaller ccw. Got the G26 and loved it. When S&W9c came along, traded my G26 for one. After six months, traded the S&W9c for the G27. YMMV.

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

:dunno:

I have both although I haven't had a chance to shoot the G26 yet.

I bought the G26 because my primary carry is usually my G19 and it just made sense to me to be able to use the G19 magazines as spares and essentially have a smaller version of the same gun. Also there are times when I carry both.

I have also decided that how the gun feels in my hand is relatively unimportant. What is important, is how well the gun points and how well I shoot it. The M&P does win the comfort contest though.

The Glock is ever so slightly smaller and a tad lighter. I much prefer the way Glock did their trigger safeties compared to the S&W hinged trigger.

As to the trigger feel, that is really personal preference. I prefer the S&W trigger because in my opinion it is less demanding of the shooter.

I also like the idea that the Glock doesn't have a fully cocked striker until you pull the trigger for certain modes of carry. (AIWB)

Manual of arms for the two is essentially the same. Pull, point, squeeze.

I like both guns and also have a full size M&P but in your situation I would probably get the G26.

You can still get an M&P or two or three later on.

I just wish the weather would break so I can get out and break in my new G26!

Sorry for the disjointed post. I'm still working on my first pot of coffee. :embarassed:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

11. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    I have an M&P9c that gets occasional carry duty. I chose it over the G26 based on my needs. I have put approx 3000 rounds through it without a single failure.

Hands down the M&P has better stock sights.

12. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'll be adding a M&P 40c to the collection friday.

13. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

Nov 29, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have owned both guns.
    I really preferred the trigger on the M&P. It has a very short travel. Feels like single action.
    That being said, I would feel more comfortable carrying a gun with a glock-like trigger. I would only want to carry a M&P if it had a manual safety, and I don't like those.
    The 26 is more compact. The M&P9c slide length is similar to the G19 slide length, but the short grip more closely resembles the G26 grip length.
    The stock sights are a lot better on the M&P.
    I just plain shot the M&P a lot more accurately.

It's really almost a toss up. You won't be mad if you get either, IMO.

14. RichiesPnG

RichiesPnG

Feb 4, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I've carried a lot of Glocks in my time but currently carry an M&P9c and compete with an M&P9 Pro. I never had any problems with my Glocks but the M&P's just fit my hand better and were more comfortable. The grip angle is more natural for me as well.

15. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

Oct 29, 2006
    NW FL
    I've owned and carried both; both are reliable, concealable and pleasant to shoot in my experience. I'd be comfortable with either one.

16. Edmo01

Edmo01

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Exactly the setup my wife has. Her first Glock was a G19 and now because it is easier to carry, she's stealing my G26 more and more. My next baby Glock will be a G27 and my spare mag will be from my G23.

For the OP: I'm a lefty also and never use the slide release except to lock the slide back on an empty gun. To feed in a new magazine I use the same movements as a stoppage recovery drill. 1) insert (or smack to seat) the magazine; 2) pull the slide back and let it fly; 3) sights on target, fire. Works every time!

Edmo

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I went out to buy a G26 to keep my G19 company - brought my M&P9c along for the trip.

Compared them side by side - not enough difference to get the G26 -

I like the flat base plate on the M&P compact -

I never understood why so many folks put a finger rest extension on a small size gun - if I wanted / needed a longer grip I would want it to hold more rounds not just be a chunk of plastic. :dunno:

My M&P compacts (I have a 9 and a 40) have been 100% reliable.

18. I don't have, don't want, don't need, one on my Glock 26.

But I do have one on my Ruger LCP, on the mag. It doesn't add much weight (longer grip, mag, rounds, would add weight). You can switch easily between mags with it and mags without it if you want.

Because the entire grip is not lengthened, the increase in "print" is miminal. Especially for guns carried canted forward "FBI" cant, you do not want to add length to the back of the grip, but if you add to the front of the grip, the "print" will not be increased.

Just my 2 cents on why some might prefer it. With my LCP, I want a good solid 2 finger grip, and without the extension it is a little difficult to attain the solid grip. Not impossible, just more difficult.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Because it is damn annoying to have a grip too short to place all your digits on. I tolerate it on my J Frame 442 because to add a laser and use it as deep concealed secondary carry I have to. That's the only carry gun I will tolerate it on.

20. tango44

tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
    No matter what the M&P C is not small as a G26!