close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 26 or Kahr PM9

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by crasha51pan, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crasha51pan

crasha51pan

Not real familiar with the Kahr. Any issues, reliability ?
    Pro & Cons...

2. BuckeyeBlast

BuckeyeBlast

Subscribing - I've carried my G26 for years and have loved it. I'm considering switching to the PM9 due to the fact that I have girl small hands and the Glock is honestly too large for my hands. But, due to the G26's 100% reliabilty, I'm hesitant to make any changes.

3. CynicX

CynicX

Very similar. I think Kahr had a recall on there barrels and they also had an issue with there mags. From reading online it seems that Kahr is very quick to take care of these issues, free of charge no questions asked. New ones should be perfectly reliable.

The Kahr is a little more carry friendly since its thinner, single stack mag. This is good and bad, the sacrifice of more comfort is ammo capacity.

I've HEARD the Kahr is a little more accurate when fired from a vice. But both are accurate enough in real world situations. Same goes for reliability, in the real world where people dont bury there guns in the muddy salt water they are similar. I dont know how the Kahr will handle under extremely abusive conditions.

Overall I and most of us here will prefer the Glock. Little wider, more ammo capacity, probably more reliable under the extremes and IMHO the Glock looks better...

4. zeme05

zeme05

I tried the Kahr CW9 and it had a loooong triger pull. Also wasn't reliable out of the box, several FTF on the first box. I was told it needed a 200-300 rd breakin. I kept hitting the mag release with my thumb reguardless of how I held it. Finally, I decided I wanted something like a Glock, good to go right out of the box. I bought a G26 and haven't looked back.

5. therepublic

therepublic

All I can say is that I like my 26, but I don't have personal experience with the Kahr.

6. Bub10x

Bub10x

Have an older covert P9. It is as reliable as my Glocks. Trust it with CCI 124 +P Gold Dots. Light and flat, good summer carry. Cannot compare carry to the 26 as the next size for me is a 23.

7. drew4691

drew4691

Depends on what you want. The PM9 holds 6+1 or 7+1, single stack mag. It is small enough to put in your pocket, and also requires a break in period. Some are a little quirky, i had to send mine back to the factory twice, but after the 2nd time, its worked fine. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030052
    Kahr recommends American-made FMJ ammo.

I have a G27, but pretty much the same pro's as the 26. Holds more rounds, no break in period required, will shoot any ammo you want. Its heavier, and bulkier, and probably wouldn't fit in your pocket comfortably. (plus you can use the 33 rd mag)

They are both good guns, I pocket carry my PM9 most of the time.

8. JBP55

JBP55

One PM 9 and two CW9's and all have been 100% reliably from the first shot. The G26 has been 100% reliable also. I carry a Kahr when I need something smaller than a G26.

9. swannick

swannick

I recently purchased a PM9. Took it to the range last Thursday and put 200 rounds (suggested break in) through it. I shot American Eagle 115gr ball and American Eagle 147gr ball. Had absolutely no problems. Everytime I pulled the trigger it went bang. It was very accurate. Since I also have a G27 I feel I can speak to the size issue, since the G26 and 27 are the same size. And Kahr definitely has the edge here...yes you give up number of rounds but the PM9 is alot smaller and lighter. I am really impressed with the Kahr (my first one). This will be my primary EDC gun.

10. swannick

swannick

One other suggestion; I put on a Hogue grip and this made it very comfortable to shoot the PM9. The backstrap on the Kahr is very sharp. Also I added a Pearce grip extension and this seemed to help with grip control...but I think this is personal choice.

11. Buzzo

Buzzo

I have a G26, and I HAD a PM9. The PM9 was a wonderful gun, never had an issue with it. Only reason I sold it was the gun fit my hand weird and to the right (I'm a lefty.)

12. G26ster

G26ster

I have a G26 and a PM9. I CC the PM9 due to size (the gun's and mine). Very accurate, long but smooth trigger. But, once you get used to the trigger, it's great. Kahrs are built very tight and do require at least a 200 rd break in period. If you buy one, don't make any final decisions until after the break in. I have 400+ rds through mine with no FT__s.

13. Cineski

Cineski

If you go with a Kahr, in my experience and opinion, you need to run 5-600 rounds through it to make sure it's reliable. Both my Kahrs were perfect in the first 200 rounds and became problematic in the 350-400 round range. Kahr is only so-so w/ customer service. They acted great with my PM9 and were horrible with my very problematic P45. Again, just my experience. However, the Kahr PM9 is a niche gun and when working properly does so very well.

14. FrankW438

FrankW438

I had a G27, and I currently own a PM9. I really like the size of the PM9. I can put the Kahr PM9 in my back pocket, and it is no larger than my wallet. The trigger is very revolver-like; smooth, but longer than the Glock trigger pull. I think it has the best sights for any pistol in that size. While I don't live in a Shall-Issue state (yet!), I would much rather carry the PM9 than the G26/27. However, if I wanted more capacity and didn't mind a larger pistol, I would rather carry the G19/23 instead of the G26/27.

I have had no reliability issues with the PM9, and accuracy is superb. However, the Kahr is pretty expensive. It is a Mercedes compared to the Chevy-style of the Kel-Tecs or DiamondBacks. As with most things, you get what you pay for.

-- Frank

15. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

Kahr trigger travel is shorter than that of the Glock 26 or any of the other Glocks. The Glock trigger travel is 1/2" while the Kahr trigger travel is 3/8".

16. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

I have owned eleven Kahr's and currently still own five; two of which are a PM9 and a MK9. Kahr has had problems in the past with their polymer framed guns but in the past five years, they have really improved. If you want a fine little Kahr that is as small as the PM9, consider the MK9. It's an all steel piece and is a fine little gun.

17. Cineski

Cineski

Kahr is still putting out problematic guns. My P45 that was bought last year came from the factory w/ an incorrect spring that was causing severe FTExtract problems. Took 3 trips back to Kahr and 500 rounds from me before they finally found the problem. Blamed me tooth and nail for the problem and when they found out it was their fault they didn't even as much as apologize for their tone. My PM9, born in 2009, had several issues including rough cycling of the bullet and the mags suddenly stopped ejecting because the grip literally shrunk. Had to send it back where they did a very messy dremmel job on the inside mag channel to widen it (instead of just replacing the frame). They also replaced the extractor and it cycles very smoothly now. Works fine now, but........

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  18. marklukich

marklukich

Own both and love both... Triggers are definitely different though so check them out before you buy if you're only going to get one...

19. tx787

tx787

I think for reliability the G26 is better, for ergos the PM9 is better. The PM9 is also more expensive if that's a factor. See which one feels better in your hand, I want to like the G26 but find it's size to be strange (fat and short) but many love it. Would you consider the Walther PPS, it's very thin and operates just like the Glock (except for the mag release). The PPS seems to have reliability issues in .40 but not in 9mm.

20. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

I've had great experience with two Kahrs - both K9s. Good customer service too. I found the build quality very good. Perhaps that quality is in other Kahr products. I am interested in the P9 next. I found the PPS to be a good shooter ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.