close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 26 or 27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 45 Cal, Dec 4, 2012.

1. 45 Cal

45 Cal
    Expand Collapse

I've decided to sell my Springfield XDS and replace it either with a Glock 26 Gen 4 or Glock 27, Gen 4. While I'm sold on the platform (as I already own a G19 and love it), I'm having a hard time deciding which caliber to buy.

I plan to shoot and likely carry either gun in 9mm. Either buy the G26 or the G27 with a conversion barrel. I would typically go straight for the G26 due to it being a factory 9mm, but I like the idea of shooting the 9mm, .40 cal, or .357 SIG out of the same gun.

I guess my question is: How reliable is the G27 with a good conversion barrel? Is it reliable enough to trust your life to? And is it worth buying the 27 to have the ability to shoot 3 calibers?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Dreamliner787

Dreamliner787
    Expand Collapse

G27 is snappy and G26 are less snappy. I got the G27 with the Lone Wolf conversion and no issues so far with over 300 rounds through it and I would trust it just like I do my G19. I do have to say that with higher mag capacity, my preference has changed to carrying the G19 more but the smaller for of the G26/G27 still has it's place at certain times. I use the 9mm mags instead of the 40SW mags.

3. diamondd2

diamondd2
    Expand Collapse

G26. Shoot what you carry.

4. GPBob

GPBob
    Expand Collapse

I posed approximately the same question earlier this year. I said I would go as far as changing out the ejector, extractor and spring loaded bearing in 9mm for the 27. I got more posts telling me to just go with a 26 and not trust my life on a conversion. Many said that it would be great for the range but just go OEM for defense.

I took that advice and dropped the 27 and now own two 26s. With a mixture of Corbon 115 +p and Speer Gold Dot 124 +p I believe I'm covered.

5. rilkil23

rilkil23
    Expand Collapse

As much as I like my G22 I have no plans to carry it with a conversion barrel. My G19c, and my G26 are my carry guns. I might pick up a 357 sig barrel someday for the range but I wouldn't be comfortable using something like that as my personal defense weapon.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. DocWills

DocWills
    Expand Collapse

#6 DocWills, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6
    Expand Collapse

Why you no likey the XDs? I'm thinking of picking one up to replace my g26.

8. 45 Cal

45 Cal
    Expand Collapse

I actually really like the XDS. The trigger is great, better than any XD I've fired, and I like the accuracy and size of the gun. There are just two things that are driving me nuts about it. 1) I hate that I've only got a 6 shot capability. 2) I absolutely cannot stand a safety on my carry gun and the XDS has the standard Springfield grip safety.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Alot of people seem to have no reliablity issues with converson barrels. Alot of people also seem to have no reliability issues with platinum coated gadolinium guide rods. But apparently sometimes a few do. For carry put me in the column that much prefers a stock gun.

10. sioux565

sioux565
    Expand Collapse

I say get the 27, but I am a little biased. I do agree with others about not carrying with the conversion kit in.

11. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I much prefer 9mm.

12. HexHead

HexHead
    Expand Collapse

Get the 26. I'd get a 39 long before I'd get a 27.

13. vmann

vmann
    Expand Collapse
    Controller

what a retarded post.....

14. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman
    Expand Collapse

Have a 27 and carry it on occasion (typical carry gun is a 23). Nevertheless, I would recommend a 26 for the reason that it has slightly less recoil and will therefore be slightly easier to shoot rapidly in a self defense situation. I'm stuck in the 90s with my .40 self defense guns.

Were I to start over, I would get 9mm exclusively, but I'm too heavily invested in .40 (ammo, reloading components, magazines, etc.) to switch now.

15. LampShadeActual

LampShadeActual
    Expand Collapse

My experience around police agencies is that while a lot of M27's get bought, far fewer are kept by the officers, and even fewer are fired much. Marginally manageable, but not really fun to shoot.

On the other hand, a lot of M26's get bought, they are kept by the officers, and get practiced with. Manageable recoil and easy enough to shoot for practice. Carry what you practice with.

16. MNBud

MNBud
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't going to go as far as retarded but I agree with you.

17. tango44

tango44
    Expand Collapse

G26 of course!

18. LuckyG

LuckyG
    Expand Collapse

Yep. I personally like the .40 in my civilian SD guns, but I don't use sub-compacts. It is a fine caliber, generally, provided the shooter has good fundamentals and is willing to work with it. For the casual shooter (for lack of a better term), a good 9mm is probably a better choice.

Our LGC has a large NRA pistol program and we put a lot of students through basic and personal protection courses. Consequently, we see a lot of different handguns, calibers and skill levels. One year I was coaching a shooter (Basic Pistol) who was using a G27 with factory ball. After single shots we switched to two controlled shots. His second one went into the ceiling. Fortunately, our ceiling is armored with steel plates.

Students using 9mm guns are a lot easier to teach. You can concentrate on fundamentals and not get recoil mixed into the equation. For defensive purposes, mindset and hits are the important elements. A slight increase in terminal ballistics specs won't make up for lack of the other two. Even for experienced shooters, there is nothing wrong with a good 9mm, as long as attention is paid to proper load selection.

19. Chuck TX

Chuck TX
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

If you're going to carry it in 9mm, I'd get it stock in 9mm. Conversions are fun, lots of fun, but have not been reliable enough for me that I'd be comfortable carrying one.

20. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

I vote 26.