close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 24C & 17L

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Sniper 7.62, May 22, 2002.

1. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

OK BIG DOGS!!! :( I would like to know why I can not buy eather one of thies guns IE the 17L or the 24C :(, I found 17L on Gunsamerica for $975.00 yah right :( SO where can I get one that I will not need to sale my truck for or do I need to wish in one hand and dump in the other
    Thanks Sniper;f ;c ;2 ;I
    As you can see I have had a BAD DAY;6

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Keep watching and you'll find one. Occationally there will be one at the local gunshows, usually around $650.00. There are no more being imported so the only other option is to build one. Glockmeister still offers uppers (415.00) and frames (155.00), still pretty pricey but new components. You will still need the trigger parts and other frame internals. Truth is I wouldn't mind another 17L.

3. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Hay Jerry what about a 34 with a ported barrel and a comp on the end with a nice dot to go with it, Will that be legal for your class?;c

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

sniper;
    If you already have a G17 or 34 all you need it the 17L upper. If you have either the 17/34 and would buy the 17L upper from G/M for $415 you would be all set except for the Red Dot and mount. I would definately insist on a 3rd Generation (FG&R) lower end because it opens many more Red Dot mount opportunities. Bobby Carver has a GREAT mount that SHOULD be on the market any day that I feel is the Best of the Best but you will need the 3rd Gen. frame.

Jerry is also correct about checking Gun Shows. There were 2 New in the Box 3rd Generation 17L's in my little podunk town about 6 weeks ago in the Gun Show for $650 each. You would be Extremely lucky to find a new 3rd Gen 17L for less.

I love mine and my 24C, both have PDP5CMP Red Dot's.

5. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Thanks Don, I do have a 17 and I gave it to my wife BUT she likes my 23C and I do have a barrel for it SO I might be able to talk her into using my 23C in the next match that we go to or let her shoot then grab the fram and go run with the TOP GUNS.
    Thanks again Jason

6. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

Assuming your building a GSSF unlimited gun, and you have a 17 or a 34: Why not buy a bar-sto 17L barrel ($260) instead of whole 17L upper ($415)? If you are using a dot, the sight radius doesn't matter, right? The only thing I can think of is that the 17L slide puts a little more weight our front.

Thoughts?

7. Fireglock

Sniper - Yes you can get a 34 and change out the barrel. But why would you want a comp? We have no power factor in GSSF and trust me as one who knows a 17L with a good load is just as managable as with a comp. Using a comp with a 9mm is tricky.

mcginnes - you can do that. But the weight out front is what you want. The further forward you mount your scope and any other weight within reason helps control muzzle flip, and it does it much easier than with a comp. If I have the choice of a 17L or 34 for U/L then it's the 17L. The Barsto barrel is a good idea. A 17L slide with fitted Barsto is the ticket, at least in the hands of an expert shooter. Dale uses stock, Bobby and TJC (when he was shooting) use Barsto and Philip uses a ported stock barrel. If and when I get serious about U/L I'll get a fitted Barsto. My philosphy is eliminate all the variables you can so that your shooting is only issue.

17L slide 310.00
    Barsto Barrel 260.00
    Fitting 75.00
    Add a titanium striker and safety plunger with a tricked trigger, Tasco PDP5CMP and Carver mount and your ready for the sharks and piranhas. Oh yeah, lots of practice. :)

8. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

OK what about this ?, A 34 with comp barrel and a dot over the slide where the hole is just to get started, ? and yes I have a very nice load for the 9mm with 115 grain Montana gold.

9. mcginnes

Fireglock, so are 17L and 24C still an options on that little piece of paper you got from GSSF, and how much extra do they cost? Also, tell Bobby to make a place on his fancy new scope mount for barrel weights, and I won't have to get a 17L.

My wife is gonna kill me if she figures out I'm thinking about building an unlimited gun.

Take Care,

10. Fireglock

There is a place on Bobby's mount for a weight. I think you should get a 19 and build your U/L on it. :)

No 17Ls and 24Cs are no longer available, you have to piece them together.

And to solve your wife problem, just don't tell her! ;f

11. Fireglock

Go for it. I'm happy with my setup and would do it again. You can certainly use a 34, Bobby has done it with a 34 and Dale uses one. Who knows, you might start a new trend. ;f

12. mcginnes

Ok, Looks like the way to go for me is going to be a 34 with the Carver mount and some weights. BTW, a 5.5" bar-sto is "only" $210 when the time comes. Guess I better win some more money before I get myself into master class ;f ;).

I try to keep my wife in the dark, but some dang fool taught her to read!;f

13. Fireglock

I'm not concerned about promotion, I'm sure I have time. :)

14. mcginnes

I am getting a little ahead of myself, as I have yet to win a gun. I think three second place finishes makes me "Master Loser" though. ;)

Also, better change that Sig to "Low 60s"

15. MFinch

MFinch Guest

I almost took my 24 set-up to Dallas for unlimited. It is really accurate and handles well. I don't seem to go that fast on the plates though. As far as that goes, I don't seem to be shooting the plates fast with anything. I wound up shooting the 34 in Dallas...but now have my 17 set-up as unlimited for a test drive.

The thing about unlimited is it is fun and addicting. Instead of practicing with my stock gun like I should be, I always seem to be playing with the unlimited gun. The goal over the next few months is to really work on getting the unlimited scores down.

Something to note....Tony C. has shot a variety of unlimited set-ups in both 40 and 9mm...and shoots them all really well.

Mike Finch
    Team Sidearmor
    Leadheads Bullets

16. Fireglock

Your perfectly right Mike, no amount of modification and gadgets makes up for a good shooter who practices. But the right combination makes it easier for the shooter to do his part.

17. Fireglock

Maybe after I see a couple of repeat performances. Your low time in AmCiv keeps me safe. ;)

18. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

When you hang around smart you get smart! when you hang around fast you get fast, when you hang around accurate you get accurate, Now put that all together and you will be the best but just rember the best do not get there by adding on goodies :).

19. Fireglock

I agree Sniper, but remember, those boys don't hang that stuff on their guns to make them look cool. :) I don't believe in "chrome it if it don't go". I'm tickled with my dot gun, but if I need to, I'll change it. I've just been playing so far but that will have to change. My main thing now is to practice more with the dot.

20. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Hay Jerry! If you want to get better using a DOT than get a 22 pistol that you may have in a semi of corse and put it on.
    It cost less to shoot and will make you find the dot and you will get acustom to looking through it and shooting paper as well as steel and allways keep both eyes open but I think you knw that by now :)