Glock Talk banner

Glock 23 users

13K views 81 replies 61 participants last post by  Hempy19 
#1 ·
Good day shooters! I am planning to purchase a g23 very soon but read that its recoil is even stronger if not the same as a 1911. Is there any truth in that? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#79 · (Edited)
This! and the .40 is an ill conceived round stuck between to great calibers (9MM and .45 ACP). I love the .40 because I adapted to it and not the other way around.

It has plentiful ammo and and LEO's all over the country use it because it packs a punch in cold weather that 9's cannot penetrate sometimes. The .45 is like getting hit with a world class punch!

Not starting a caliber war...just personal observation in different climates. The .40 will cut through most outer garments where the 9 sometimes will not.

I have had a 23 for years and it always goes pop and takes a bit of getting used to.

It is a caliber that get's the job done!

In warm weather I would use a 9MM...in cold weather a .40 and up against multiple layers of clothes a .45 ACP.

Do your own tests.
On the G23 watch for stove piping...don't keep using the same defense ammo without rotating stock. (unsupported chamber.)

Keep your defense ammo rotated and your gun clean and it will always work. Never use less than 165 grain ammo in a .40

The .45ACP will cut through any clothes in the winter.
I shot better with a 9MM and a .45 ACP but the .40 is a tamable gun and with good knock-down power!
I don't ever remember ever a statement that a .45 ACP wil penetrate multiple layer's of clothing better than a .40 S&W.Am I wrong??:dunno:

#80 ·
I'm def not a magazine writer but I'm an observant guy who likes to shoot ... I have a .45 1911, G23 & G27 amoung others. There is def a subtle difference in recoil and personally I shoot better with my G27 & G23 then my Kimber 1911 ... All that said I believe the difference, and the often talked about objection, to .40 makes for better magazine articles and thread chatter then anything else.... If you do get the .40 and you don't like it a conversion bbl pays for its self in about 20 boxes of 9mm instead of .40 ammo. Enjoy!
I am good with the recoil of my G27. Is the G23 a little better, or about the same?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.