Glock Talk banner

Glock 23 users

13K views 81 replies 61 participants last post by  Hempy19 
#1 ·
Good day shooters! I am planning to purchase a g23 very soon but read that its recoil is even stronger if not the same as a 1911. Is there any truth in that? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#29 ·
Not so much stronger, as different. To me, a .45 is more of a push back, which is more pleasant to shoot. The .40 is more like the barrel snapping up and back very sharply. I guess that's the best I can describe it.

I've got a 23c and added a heavier recoil spring, and it is much more comfy to shoot than a stock, uncompensated 23.

Maybe others will have better insight.
:goodpost:

I would explain it very close to above. More of an upward kick opposed to a rearward in a 1911 platform. Much like others have said, the 1911 is generally heavier as well, with widely regarded better ergonomics. The big thing is practice. I put my Kimber away since I just got a glock 23, just so I can focus specifically on getting things right in a different platform. Just shoot, shoot, and shoot some more!

#31 · (Edited)
I have both the G19 and G23. Yes the 23 is a little more "snappy" but not at all uncontrollable. I shoot them both well. My son had never shot a Glock before. When we went to range I took the G19, G23, and G21SF (45ACP). He fell in love with the 23. Shot it better than the other two. I don't know why. But he was scary accurate all day long with it.

#33 · (Edited)
I'm not a "gun guy". I tool an introductory pistol class several years ago, shot several different types, liked the Glock (Model 17 in that class) best, and bought a new Gen 3 23. Took some more lessons with it, never had any problem with the recoil and still don't. I'm no expert shooter, but that has nothing to do with recoil.

#34 ·
If you are worried about recoil why not just buy a .22 and be done with it? I don't see why everyone gets so worked up over the increased recoil of a .40 over 9mm or .45. I personally don't want to put more bullets downrange in x number of seconds. I'm a civilian, so every bullet I let loose in a self defense shooting has to be aimed, not sprayed because I will be held accountable for any that injure an innocent bystander. If you can get more power out of the same sized pistol, isn't that preferrable? The more I practice, the less I notice recoil.

Just my two cents. Flame on...
Agreed. I'll add $.02 to that. No matter the weapon or cartridge...practice when u can. It's FUN practice!

#35 · (Edited)
Recoil; It doesn't really matter if you practice like you should do with either caliber. You will get used to it. With that said both are great calibers for self defense, and either will serve you well if you do your part and put in the time to master the weapon/caliber combination. The 9mm is easier to shoot for many, and if you are a new shooter this may be a better choice while you focus on getting the fundamentals down such as trigger control, no flinching, and body position down. I personally own the G23 because I like the extra oomph it has over the 9mm, ammo cost is a non issue since I load my own rounds, and I like to practice often. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#36 ·
I still don't know what all the whining is about .40 recoil and "snappiness". My Gen 4 G23 is the first gun I've ever owned and there is nothing "uncontrollable" about it. Follow up shots are easy, the recoil feels stout to me, and it's just fun to shoot. I've shot 9mms before and the recoil is boring to me, I don't know.

I guess my point is if I can purchase this gun to learn on and control it fine, I don't know what others are doing.

#38 ·
And in a self-defense situation - you will never even notice that snappiness. Cheers.

#39 ·
Not so much stronger, as different. To me, a .45 is more of a push back, which is more pleasant to shoot. The .40 is more like the barrel snapping up and back very sharply. I guess that's the best I can describe it.

I've got a 23c and added a heavier recoil spring, and it is much more comfy to shoot than a stock, uncompensated 23.

Maybe others will have better insight.
I agree on the type of felt recoil

#40 ·
I am buying a 23 gen4 Saturday to go with my 22 and 27. Just buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it. The hype is just that, hype. You will learn the recoil and get used to it just as you did with your 1911 and would with a 19 or other 9mm.

#41 ·
Well, I just brought home a brand new Glock 23 today! I have had a couple of Glocks in 9mm and other pistols in 40 .357SIG and 45. While my new 23 is the only stock 40 I now currently own, based on my other weapons, I have always thought that each caliber had its own 'character'. Everyone of them were manageable. For me, I am going to break in my G23 over the next few weeks with about 200 rounds. I was already signed up for a self defense course in January where our round count will be 500. I plan on using my G23 all day. I have done the course before with a 9mm. By the end of the day with that, I never perceived the recoil of that at all. My guess is that the 40 will probably be a similar experience. It will become my everyday carry.

#42 ·
I have a G23 which is the gun I carry the most.

But I really like my 30 and 21. You will get used to the snappier recoil in no time.

#43 ·
I prefer my G23 (gen 3) over the .45s I've owned (G30SF, Colt 1911 commander, Kimber TLE II). Just feels better to me. Recoil, while different, has always been less "distracting" (for lack of a beter term) with .40s.

Non-recoil considerations:

With one spare mag in my pocket, I've got 27 rounds on my person with the G23.

With a 1911, two 8-round spares gets me to 25 with one chambered.

I've spent a hell of a lot less on gunsmithing with my G23 than with my 1911s.

Also, one simple barrel change gives me a G32.

#46 ·
Have any of you that complain about the excess snapiness tried a Hogue grip, etc.? I dont find the .40 as bad as others, but I also have inner tubes on them, which I believe mitigates the way the .40 feels.

#47 · (Edited)
I use the houge grips on my issued 22. It helps with gripping but not with the Glock knuckle, It is a standard occurance with all those shooting the 40! Most of those who ran out and bought the 27, sold them pronto! Too much recoil and pain! Anyone who shoots the 40 will get the knuckle smashed...repeatedly. After a qulification round, I'm happy to be done, so are the other guys and gals!
Now, we can shoot them, but not to the level of accuracy that we did the Sig 226s we carried for 20 years.
If I could get tthe frame relieved to eliminate the knuckle hitting, I might buy a 23.

#48 ·
I use the houge grips on my issued 22. It helps with gripping but not with the Glock knuckle, It is a standard occurance with all those shooting the 40! Most of those who ran out and bought the 27, sold them pronto! Too much recoil and pain! Anyone who shoots the 40 will get the knuckle smashed...repeatedly. After a qulification round, I'm happy to be done, so are the other guys and gals!
Now, we can shoot them, but not to the level of accuracy that we did the Sig 226s we carried for 20 years.
If I could get tthe frame relieved to eliminate the knuckle hitting, I might buy a 23.

Oh get a grip and stop with the outrageous reports. I can't even tell if you're being serious or not with the way you make it sound like every single person with a G23 has this issue. I've shot over 2k rounds through my G23 (which I learned to shoot on) and I have never had any pain anywhere in my hands, nor has my knuckle been smashed even once.

#49 ·
I have always been a big ruger fan, my weapon of choice is a 9mm p-95. That was untill my father in law gave me a gen 4 G23. Yes it does have a bit more kick then my p-95, nut not that much. But after shooting several hundred rounds thru it, I am very happy with it. It is all in what you want, what you get used to.

I will admit I do a lot of work with my hands, and I have very strong hands. I think that anyone who wants to by a weapon needs to consider everything they can, then if possible go to a range where you can shoot several differnt callibers and brands of weapons.

Find what you like, what is right for you, and what you feel comfortable with. Dont listen to every thing everyone says and decide for yourself.

I truely love to shoot any pistol that AI get my hands on.

#51 ·
I have a Gen 4 22, and a Gen 3 27. I know of not the knuckle of which you speak. The back on the 27 dug into my palm pretty good until I put an inner tube on it. I've also found a tube on both of them take some of the oomph out, for me anyways. Works for me, may want to give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.