close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 23 Issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by truegent81, Feb 12, 2012.

1. truegent81

truegent81 MacGyver

I have a Glock 23 Gen 3, and was at the range today. Today was the first time I had shot it since Nov 2011. While i was shooting, i had a few issues come up that i never experienced before. while going through a magazine i would fire and the brass would be extracted properly. then the next shot, the slide would stay racked back like it was empty...but it wasn't. so i would slide it forward and go about my business. this happened maybe 3 times. not sure why this would happen. never happened before...

the next issue is that it wouldn't stay back after the last round was fired. i would shoot my rounds down range and then i would fire with no result..so i kept it pointed down range just in case it was a delayed fire..or whatever. next i would drop the mag and pull back on the slide...nothing. there were no more rounds...it did this 3-4 times...and it was aggravating and embarrassing.

i was the only one on the range at this time so the range master was behind me and i heard him at one time say to himself "wow" after the 3rd time of not firing due to no round. so whats the cause? i've put about 500 rounds through it when i got it in oct 2011. and put another 75-100 today. would extra lube prevent this? i don't fire my guns wet...and usually little to no oil.

i broke it down to inspect it and didn't notice anything. i did however see the firing pin slightly poking through after it was taking apart. i just pushed it back in...never noticed this before as well.

would like to fix this problem since it is my EDC. don't want this to come up when **** is hitting the fan. thanks in advance.

2. James Dean

James Dean

Did this happen with the same mag? I would take the empty mag put it in, and rack the slide back and see if it stays back on its own. It may be the mag. If it does not stay back try a different mag.

3. James Dean

James Dean

If it doesn't stay back with other empty mags you need to take a look at the slide stop.

4. truegent81

truegent81 MacGyver

tried the two empyt mags and pulled back on the slide...slide stayed back on both.

5. tonyparson

tonyparson

Are you 100% sure your thumb is not riding the slide stop?

6. sr975j

sr975j

thats a very good question. ive seen that happen before.

Sam

7. truegent81

truegent81 MacGyver

thats a good question...dang i dont remember. i just checked my grip and yesh my thumb sits right under it. do yall recommend resting the thumb on it as it should keep it from doing that?

8. sr975j

sr975j

im a lefty shooter so i cant really give you expert right handed grip advice. just pay more attention to it next time you shoot.

Sam

9. MN-glock27

MN-glock27

You need to keep your thumb off of it, otherwise you'll have the problems you experienced at the range.

10. allegro

allegro

Either a finger on the release, or a mag with an issue. The mag is what allows the lock to hold the slide back.

Take a look

11. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

On my glock I have cut the slide stop tab off because my thumb rides it and causes malfunctions. Slide locking back prematurely, slide not locking back at all.

12. truegent81

truegent81 MacGyver

i appreciate yalls input..hopefully thats the case. i will find out more this upcoming weekend when i can get out to range. yeah my grip is about as high as i can get without interfering with slide...thanks again...

and out of curiosity..how many rounds before the gun is "broken in"?

13. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----