Glock 23 Gen 4 Accidental Discharge??!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 00Glazz, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I read this thread an hour ago, but haven't been able to get it out of my mind since.

I'm hardly a gunsmith, but cannot logically figure out how a striker-fired Glock can fire without having the trigger go through its normal cycle.

That being said, I have a Serpa holster that I only wear when working in the yard. I've been looking at it for the past hour and can't see any way that the trigger can get pulled. The OP's discharge has scared the heck outta me, and my Serpa is staying in the drawer until we hear an answer that explains the issue.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. .38 super

.38 super Observer

:scared:.... No soft leather around any trigger !
    Very strange... I cannot think about any scenario, combination of gun/holster, that will work the action when the gun is on it's site, in horizontal position...
    Thanks God, nobody got hurt...

3. All I needed to hear. Dump it. There's a reason most trainers ban this holster.
    Sucks it happened to you & I'm glad no one was hurt.
  4. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

I have been carrying SERPA holsters for over three years on about every Glock and SIG out there (never had an issue).

Any polish job on the G23 per chance?
  5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Have you done ANY trigger work to the gun (ie connector, springs, polishing, etc) ??

Completely stock is one thing, a *bad* trigger job is something altogether different. You can easily get the gun to start firing doubles or even fully auto if you remove material from the wrong place.
  6. [ame][/ame]

I think Sturm explains it well. As DannyR said; this is certainly not the first time this has happened.
  7. I agree with Ron and others that have also mentioned it, has the 23 had any additional massaging or shade tree gunsmithing, that will be most important thing to look at before you start looking at a defective holster.
  8. 153

Very well done video.

Doesn't explain this latest incident.

I have one of these holsters and thank goodness haven't used it yet. Don't think I will!

Very interested to see how Blackhawk responds!
  9. Unlike that video the OP never tried to remove the
    pistol from the holster. I have to say replace that holster.
    Even a Glock sport holster
    is safer then that for the price point

I have a Milt Sparks custom holster myself.

6 Month wait & pricey, but well worth it.
    #29 clarkz71, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. As's the holster. Get rid of that unsafe POS. Just because people have used them without incident does not mean it is a safe design. People routinely carry with clipdraws with nothing protecting the trigger as well....that doesn't mean it is a foolproof carry method. My recommendation is to invest in a quality kydex holster that properly secures the weapon and protects the trigger.
    #30 kodiakpb, Dec 3, 2012
  11. I am glad you are still alive man. There are only three possibilities why this happened. There was either something wrong with the holster, or someone messed with the firing pin safety block (not properly installed, installed without the firing pin safety spring, etc. and/or the trigger mechanism. Either way, since you don't know what the accidental discharge caused, I'd send that gun to Glock for inspection with a dicription of what happened.
    #31 Made in Austria, Dec 3, 2012
  12. RPVG

YIKES! Glad to hear no one was hurt.
  13. Ok, talked to blackhawk today, they basically just had me give them all my info, the holster part numbers, general incident info, and they are having me ship it back to them free of charge! They seemed very worried and concerned so thats a plus! Havent called glock yet because I dont want to believe its the pistol. Gunna rule the holster out first.

The glock is completely bone stock. No mods done etc. I bought this one brand new not even a month ago. Have never had issues yet.

This is the first time I had even heard of serpas having this many issues, otherwise I would have never bought it! Luckily I have plenty of other holsters that fit it. I bought the Serpa a few days ago which was the main reason I even was carrying in it. Just kinda wanted to test it out etc.

Hopefully people with Serpa holsters read this and think twice!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  14. Also have field stripped and checked everything on the glock and it all seems to be perfect.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:upeyes: Come on, Danny! I’m sure you know better than that. The problem Blackhawk had with the original SERPA holsters was completely remedied more than 5 years ago. The only problem people have with SERPA holsters, today, is that far too many modern day, ‘pistoleros’ (and I use the term lightly) have undisciplined and lazy trigger fingers. (In fact, anyone who’s watched Tex Grebner’s AD video has already heard Tex admit that he made this mistake!)

I own several Blade-Tech holsters. They are nice pieces of Kydex; however, the screws are exposed on the inside; and my Glock slides show many very fine hairline scratches that have all been caused by the frequent holster draws I do. What plastic holster do I usually draw from nowadays? Ahh, …… I think it’s called a Blackhawk something or other. :supergrin:

As for using a Glock factory holster? Those things are slower than cold molasses to draw from; and, when you carry in C-3 the way that I usually do, you really can't afford to use any holster as slow as this. ;)

NOT A VALID CITICISM! (Read what the OP initially said.)

For the past 10 years I have repeatedly posted that civilians who carry their Glocks around all of the time in C-1 are taking needless risks with: their own, their family’s, and other people’s personal safety; but, this is the Internet; and in cyberspace human stupidity always seems to reign supreme.

For the past 6 years, or so, I have also repeatedly posted that Glock trigger mechanisms can be STACKED; but, again, this is cyberspace; and the best and brightest of advice often goes, ‘sailing on by’, high overhead, and completely unnoticed.

To the OP: I think your Glock trigger mechanism, ‘stacked’ on you, man; and I’ve done enough Glock trigger jobs, now, to fully understand, ‘How’ this can be induced to happen. In fact I believe that the recent modification made to, both, Gen 3 and Gen 4 sear, ‘kick plates’ was, specifically, done by the factory in order to lessen the chances for the trigger bar to stack.

My personal suggestion to you would be to stop routinely carrying you’re Glock in C-1. Trust me on this: Your manhood will survive. ;)
  16. Well he has a $29 holster from that link so.

And I don't recall hearing about any AD or NG from a Glock holster.

With practice you can learn to draw quickly
    from any holster. Or are you saying Glock
    sells unsafe holsters that cannot be drawn
    from in a safe amount of time in a SD situation?

You seem knowledgeable about this topic
    and I'd like to learn from someone with
    more experience then myself.

Are you saying we should carry our Glocks with no round in the chamber? I've been doing it for 20 years, carry my 1911's cocked & locked as well

And explain how a bone stock Glock can stack the trigger if nothing
    touches it?
    #36 clarkz71, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  17. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

All I can say is thank GOD it wasn't a 10mm... It would have surely penetrated the outside wall and blown up your neighbors house...
  18. Glad that nobody was injured. I believe like many others that this was a holster issue. I remember reading several months ago that a Federal Trng.Facility in either NC or SC had an issue with the Sherpa holster. This facility banned the use of the Sherpa holster. I must warn you that I could be having a Senior Moment but I did read this a while ago. Sorry everyone I was unable to view the vid before my post. Yep,these things happen when one gets older.
    #38 captcurly, Dec 3, 2012
  19. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Did you check sear engagement? If you don't know how, find a glock armorer. Some of the gun shops have factory certified armorers.

There shouldn't be enough energy in the FP spring to set off a primer in the pre-cocked condition - but you never know. As others have said - it is more likely that something pulled the trigger.

Keep us informed.

20. going to be super careful with my serpa now... even though I never use it

come to think about it i've only tryed it on with my 17's trigger not set... i'll investigate mine but this is very scary