Glock 23 Gen 4 Accidental Discharge??!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 00Glazz, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

I have never seen a gun store clean a gun. The most I have seen is they wipe the outside down occasionally due to everyone handling them.

I agree with the entire post, but the bold section is the best piece of advice so far.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. The shop around won't even break a Glock down until its sold. :dunno:

3. Pretty sure that is a statistic indicative of the #'s of those types of guns owned, not the likelihood of a failure.

The more of something you have, the bigger chance for a screw up.

4. I had a conversation today with one of my buddies that had worked at the store I purchased from, He said that a lot of the times, if they get a pistol on trade that is basically brand new looking and has everything as new, they will sell it as new. Not used.

They also said that depending on who checks the pistols in and logs them, that they will take them apart and clean all the copper lube etc out of them ahead of time. He made it sound like it was a personal choice of that particular employee that did this.

As far as tinkering with them, he said he had never seen anyone do that, but it wouldn't be a surprise to him if that were the case.....

So I at this point am wondering if they sold me a "NEW" gun that wasnt quite new, or somehow got put with the NEW pistols instead of the used pistols. This G23 definitely looked Brand New In Box to me. It was definitely sold to me as a Brand New Glock 23.

5. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

If someone wants to send me a gun to be mangled, I'll gladly pop in a dummy round and put the gun thru every type of trauma imaginable. Drop tests, throw it across the room, drop from a moving car, totally kick the crap out of it.... So who wants to give one up for the sake of science...???

6. Your assumption is correct, it is the original ribbed trigger.

7. To be completely honest, now that I think about it the trigger pull on the pistol did seem a good amount lighter than my gen 3 and gen 2 glocks, but seeing as how I have never bought a new glock until this one, let alone a gen 4 I chalked it up to me being unfamiliar with it. It was not to the point that it seemed something was actually wrong though. Just reminded me of a light almost 4.5lb trigger pull or so.

That sucks about the .22LR AA unit. I would definitely be less than thrilled about that! Especially with the nonchalant response from a GlockTech.

8. The more I am thinking and hearing about it, the more I am wondering If I didnt somehow get a used gun sold as "new".
    Whether it was knowingly sold like this or not Is what I would like to know.

Also the 4 guns I have bought from there have all been wiped and cleaned prior to my purchase, so I assume this is customary? I never thought anything of it to be honest. If I wouldnt have had this issue I probably still wouldn't.

Will keep you all updated when I hear from Glock. I am pretty sure he next day shipped it today. Will be checking after work though.

9. I am actually working on ponying up the money for a newer p30 or USP! :cool:

10. Good choice!

11. OK, the difference between series 80 and series 70
    is the firing pin safty. the 1911 is very much like the Glock
    version. a plunger in the slide. Glock has always had one.
    Colt added that in 70 years later.

The lever on the Glock trigger is for the trigger to start moving.
    The striker/FP safty takes over after the trigger moves back.

Both are to prevent a discharge if the weapon is dropped.

12. One would think that if they were trying to pass off a previously used Glock as new they would leave the anti seize in place. As wiping/cleaning it out would be a dead give away that some one other than Glock had been in the gun,at least if one is familiar with Glocks.
    SJ 40

13. I had a conversation today with one of my buddies that had worked at the store I purchased from, He said that a lot of the times, if they get a pistol on trade that is basically brand new looking and has everything as new, they will sell it as new. Not used.

They also said that depending on who checks the pistols in and logs them, that they will take them apart and clean all the copper lube etc out of them ahead of time. He made it sound like it was a personal choice of that particular employee that did this.

As far as tinkering with them, he said he had never seen anyone do that, but it wouldn't be a surprise to him if that were the case.....

I would offer two pieces of advice:
    1) beyond resolving this particular M23, I would never set foot inside that store again.
    2) I always buy a gun straight out of the box. I would never buy the counter shelf gun on display. If they are not breaking the seal on a brand new Glock in front of you, I would not buy it. (They are sealed when shipped and only opened at the store. They should only be opened in front of the customer already buying it.)

Putting all your pieces together, I am starting to get the tingle that some one bought this gun, did a mangled trigger job on it, and returned it to the store who sold it for new. Your less than 4.5# trigger feel just doesn't happen on a new Glock.

As to the only Gen4 Glock I own myself, yes, I am somewhat bent over the AA .22LR unit for Gen1-2-3 breaking off the assembly quides in front of the front rails. That location is the impact or stop spot for the 9mm slide to hit and stop rearward travel. There are pieces of steel there that do the job. Most Glocks shot a lot have the plastic battered away from the front of those little steel ends. But the guides remain above the steel. The older AA unit has a narrower than Gen4 bumper/recoil stop. A combination of the recoil spring stop wedging between the frame stop steel members and the stop itself being cut by the steel, breaks off the reassembly guides above the steel. I am told it is cosmetic. The M19 slide still stops on the steel rectangles. The correct AA recoil spring guide stop also stops on the same steel rectangles. So other than seeing it when disassembled, it is a non event. I am still bent over it. And the worst dam thing is that is the only time that AA .22LR LE19-23 unit ever ran 100 rounds with out a bobble. I am thinking of selling the entire M19 Gen4 upper assembly to some one who wants a caliber conversion for their M23 Gen4. I'd just keep the frame for a .22LR AA set.

14. They should be able to tell you if it was used or not. They have to log where they purchased it and log it out to whom they sold it to.

Finestkind

15. What kinds of modifications do people do that would equate to a mangled trigger job?

I only ask because I figured to most people, a trigger job consists of a replacement connector and some polish work. I've never seen a poorly done trigger job on a Glock and I honestly dont know what people are doing to screw it up.

#235 PVolk, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  16. very simply incorrectly polish F P lug rounding or edges of cruciform on the trigger bar are but two. SJ 40

17. Rick305

Rick305 ra1sales.com

Gun placed down on table and it fired with no finger near the trigger ? I call BS.

That's [impossble] with a modern handgun ... If this isn't a bs thread it's a serpa n/d thread and the op may not remember "exactly" what happened because of the intensity of the n/d at the time.

Many people have had nds with Serpas -- the whole release button sitting on the trigger is asking for problems.

18. This still doesn't explain how a Glock could go off without being touched. There still have to be multiple failures simultaneously.

19. All speculation. But if use gun anything possible. Prior owner could have had parts in a pile, his kids came along and played with parts, stepped on them etc. Owner may then have had to deal with bent parts, which he rebent to get assembled. Speculation, but if used gun potential is endless.

20. A lot of good speculation and theories. This thread will slowly fade away until the OP hears back from GLOCK.
    Hopefully, that is not similar to asking the old USSR why a missle launch failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.