close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 23 Accuracy

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WVShooer, Jan 28, 2013.

1. WVShooer

WVShooer

Jan 22, 2013
    Charleston, WV
    I've read these forums for a few years now, but this is my first post. I have a Glock 23 Gen 4 and love everything about it. I went to the range with a friend last week and shot his Kimber 1911. I was much more accurate with his gun than my own. Will practice make me more proficient with my Glock, or will the 1911 always shoot more accurate?

2. Markel

Markel

May 11, 2012
    I shoot both frequently and I believe the 1911 is more accurate "in hand" vs being intrinsically more accurate. Both, in a machine rest, would likely be comparable, at least at self defense distances. But the heavier steel frame, better trigger, and overall ergonomics of the 1911 make it easier to shoot.

Having said that one can, with practice, shoot as well with a Glock. It just takes longer to get there.

3. Practice, good trigger discipline, and a lot of dry firing in between range time. If you have the standard Glock sights, you might want to research some after market alternatives. But don't give up. The Glock can be quite an accurate pistol in experienced hands.

4. WVShooer

WVShooer

Jan 22, 2013
    Charleston, WV
    I bought my Glock new in February 2011. In March of the same year I got Warren Night sights installed. The total cost of the sights plus install was $145. I'm not "bad" with the Glock, but I was noticeably better with the 1911. I know the Glock is a great handgun and reliability has never been an issue. I don't plan to sell or trade it, I was just curious how long it really takes to become more proficient.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Practice will help a little, but learning to shoot, then practicing the correct technique will help a lot. My guess, from the post, is that you have no training - the 1911 is a heavy gun with a very short, light trigger that always shoots single action - it is the most forgiving of bad technique of just about any semi-auto. The Glock is entirely different and requires a different trigger control technique to minimize movement off target as you squeeze the trigger. Just shooting more won't help much unless you learn and use a valid technique when you practice. There is more than 1 way to do it, but you aren't likely to get it right without a real instructor to teach you.

Again, I'm giving advice in General Glocking, before I looked at which forum this thread was in, so be prepared for a lot of BS from newbs who will tell you to learn from youtube, like a real mall ninja.

6. Markel

Markel

May 11, 2012
    One key issue for me was learning how to shoot a Glock from the trigger reset position. It takes lots if practice, but it will get you a lot closer to the results you get from a 1911's single action trigger.

7. CynicX

CynicX

Feb 25, 2008
    Next time you go shooting only focus on trigger control. Straight back with the pad of your finger. Focus as hard as you can. You'll immediately notice you'll group tighter, all you can do from there is practice until its second nature.

If all you do is go shoot the gun you will never ever get better. All you'll be doing is practicing how not to shoot.

I started on a 1911 then got a G17...I was ok with good trigger control practice I got pretty good. Then I got a G32 with a 23 barrel. I was terrrriiibbbblllee. It took me a long time to even come close to shooting it as well as my 1911's. Once you master a Glock trigger (if that's possible) you'll shoot every firearm better.

8. kaech

kaech

Jan 26, 2012
    CG wisconsin
    ^^ QFT......Quoted for truth

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I shoot much better with a 1911, especially some of my better models.

10. pmer

pmer

Dec 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    Yep, your comparing single action to striker fired. Have you tried any of the back straps yet. I tried some dry firing with and without the backstraps and the long strap seemed the best for me. Went out to try it and my groups were much better.

The long strap on a G19 adds about a .100'' length compared to a gen 3 G26.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  11. chemboy

chemboy

Jun 9, 2004
    Idaho
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that the 40 SW is not the most accurate of service pistol calibers-in fact, it has the reputation for being the least accurate. If you want to compare apples to apples, try a G21 or 30 vs your buddies 1911.

12. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

I don't think it has anything to do with the .40 itself. The recoil characteristic of the .40 might throw people off that aren't used to it, but I shoot my .40 cal Glocks the same as my .45 Glock, the only difference in accuracy being how I'm shooting that particular day. Some of the tightest groups I've ever shot were with a .40.

To the OP, I would suggest learning to shoot from trigger reset. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire like crazy. Come straight back on the trigger but don't use too much finger nor too little, use just the right amount. During dry firing while aiming get to where the sights don't budge when the trigger breaks. Shooting from trigger reset is going to help give it a more single action feel.

13. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    '

Agreed... I have more accurate guns, but I would put my G35 wup against most 1911's... I have shot some crazy small groups with my G35... and my G22 for that matter.

14. Scrappy

Scrappy

Mar 4, 2001
    PA
    Kinda comparing apples to oranges.
    If it were a Glock in 45 version you would have a much better chance, as they are much more accurate!

15. I have modified all but one of my Glocks and my primary carry gun is one of my gen3 G23's. The trigger work I have done plus the sights I have on this gun make if quite accurate in my hands. Like any gun, Glock has its unique side and getting use to it is the big hurtle to overcome. Stick with it and both you and your gun will come around.

16. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
    A Kimber is what you show your friends.
    A Glock is what you show your enemies. :supergrin:

17. Meanie5470

Meanie5470

Jun 27, 2009
    New Jerzee
    I shoot better with a 1911. That being said if I had only one gun to live with for the rest of my life it would still be be a Glock. All I hear in that first post is a reason to buy another gun!

18. bobtheelf

bobtheelf

Sep 3, 2012
    Nashville
    Posted this in another thread - 10 shots at about 10 yards. I guess I could be more accurate with another gun, but I don't have a lot of experience with other guns, and none with a 1911 recently. I think it's OK though.

Attached Files:

• 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      216.5 KB
      Views:
  19. bennie1986

bennie1986

Dec 29, 2012
    Im new to glocks and have only taken my gen 3 23 out once so far. I can shoot my glock way better than my 1911's.

20. You see, you just spoke a sacrilege. A Glock shooting better than a 1911.

/sarcasm off

Seriously, you just proved a universal truth. What works best for YOU is what matters, not what others say or claim is best.