close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 Gen 4 or XDM 45?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jeremy1, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jeremy1

jeremy1

I just picked up a pile of .45 ammo from a friend at work and am looking for a new .45 for the range only. I have an STI Spartan, which is an excellent 1911, but I just prefer polymer striker fired pistols. I like the Gen 4's but also like the older XD. I had a 9MM XD and sold it because the G17 got all the range time. I like the G21, but think a 5.25" XDM would be a fun range gun. Are there any negatives to the XDM? I am leaning toward the G21 but I have a few Glocks already and variety can be good

Thanks

2. larson1122

larson1122

I had a 5.25 XDM .45 and traded it for a G21 Gen 4. Nothing wrong with the XDM overall as it was a great shooter but I think the one I had was a bit of a lemon. The slide and barrel finish went to hell after only a couple hundred rounds (I could scratch the slide finish quite easily with just my finger nail). Springfield evidently didn't care so I dumped it an got a Glock to replace it. So my vote would be the G21 but I don't really think you can go wrong with either one.

3. Tacoma12

Tacoma12 The Dude Abides

I love my G21. I've shot the Springfields, they are nice guns, but not my cup of tea. But you gotta get what you like.

4. J_P

J_P

My vote is for Gen 4 Glock 21!! I hope to be picking one up within the coming up months.

5. glascowangus

glascowangus

I love my 21 and am also very fond of M&P 45 and 45c. Givem a look.

6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Variety is a good thing, I like having different guns even though Im a Glock 1st guy. The XDM 45 is a good option. Have you shot the XDM45, some of the negatives can be having to break the gun in (not all of the XD/XDMs need it but some do). If you like the gun but dont like the trigger your looking at 100 to 200 for a trigger kit. Glcok trigger kits can cost that much and more but the "-" connector is $25 and you could always do a .25 cent trigger or polish job.

The XDM is more of a pain to take down fully and sometimes the sights on these guns are so tight that you have to send it in to SA so you can put your own sights in. The Glock has more accessories and sight options but the XDM is slowly getting there. I wouldnt have a problem getting the XDM 45, I own a XD45c which I think is much better. Try to rent and shot it first if no range you know has it in the rental case at least dry fire and handle one in the case. Good luck :wavey:

:50cal:

7. jeremy1

jeremy1

I am going to see if I can find a range that has the XDM. I am still leaning toward the Glock just because of the variety and availability of parts and accessories.

8. venenoindy

venenoindy

IMO The XDM is more a range gun and the G21 is more of a combat gun, I would like to have an XDM 5.25 .45 but cannot afford To feed it on a regular basis. My G21 is tough as nails and I shoot it well, I tryed a few plastic .45's and the G21 is the only that remains.

9. BigSteven34

BigSteven34

Just took my new Gen 4 G21 to the range yesterday. Shot like a champ! I love the .45 ACP round and I absolutely love my G21! I have a buddy that has an XD .45 and I know that he loves that gone as well.

Ultimately it will be up to you, ideally you can get your hands on both at a range and decide there. Good luck!

10. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I know you didn't list these as options but just figured I'd put it in for suggestion.

FN-45 has the single/double action polymer pistol. They haven't made the FNS striker fired version yet, but if you weight you just might like it.

Or you can go with the M&P 45. I don't like the stock trigger but with the Apex FSS kit I've heard it's great. I used to own it with my own trigger work done to it and loved it.

11. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

I would absolutly go with the gen 4 21. I think that may be the beast of all Glocks when loaded with Corbon DPX 185's. The gen 4 20 would be right with it!

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

With the APEX kit the M&Ps are sooooooooooo much better, heck just putting in the APEX hard sear for $35 to $40 vs the full $95 kit is a huge difference.

:50cal:

13. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I really want a m&p 45 now. Maybe mid-size.

14. grecco

grecco

they are both great pistols,
    for me the xd feels better in my hand.

15. spyderhead

spyderhead

I would definitely go with the Glock 21. I have had the XDm 5.25 45ACP for a little over a month and it has been back to Springfield twice (failure to go into battery, broken loaded chamber indicator, finish coming off).
    If you can afford to keep a gun that is a RANGE ONLY gun where malfunctions are not critical, the XDm is fun to shoot/accurate. I cannot keep a gun I would never trust when something goes "bump in the night". The Glock is far and away the better of the two pistols. That is not just opinion in my case; it based on real-world experience with the guns.

16. MasterShake

MasterShake Brew Crew

IMO, 4th Gen. Glock 21. XD's are excellent pistols but the XDM's grip looks like the tread off a damn off road truck tire. :dunno:

17. Rustin

Rustin

Only you can decide. Either way, this is a Glock forum so you know the answer, G21 Gen4 FTW every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. bwvan

bwvan

19. dtyndall

dtyndall

I owned an XDM .45 as my first gun about a year ago. With nothing to compare it to, I still knew that I hated the trigger. Mushy and so ridiculously long, even the Glocks that I own put it to shame. The first shot I took with the gun also caused the entire magazine to shoot out of the well, which was a repeated problem throughout my time of owning it. Had it sent into Springfield twice and the problem persisted. After about a thousand rounds (a year or so), I decided the gun just wasn't for me. Aside from the trigger and magazine ejection issue, I prefer the simpler looks and operation of Glock. Also, the finish on the XDM slide developed deep, dark marks that resembled fingerprints. I tried wiping and scraping the marks off the slide, but to no avail.

Still looking forward to getting my hands on a Glock 21, but my 23 and 26 will have to tide me over until then.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  20. GCT00427

GCT00427 Tenn Hillbilly

I really like the look of the XDM45. I like the way they feel in your hand. But when it came down to it, I bought the Gen4 21. I boils down to the simplicity and availability of parts. The Gen4 21 is totally reliable and is very accurate. I know that I made the right decision for me. No use recreating the wheel. Better sticking to one format.

Regards,

Chuck