Glock 20 needed when I have a 29

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by Shark1007, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I've always wanted a 20 for the nightstand, I have a great 29 with ghost rocket, good sights, etc. Gen 3

What do I gain by a 20? I already have a Caspian 1911 in 10mm. Love those 20's and I have an eye on a blue label gen 4.

I don't hunt.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I have a 29, never have even touched a 20. I still want one, but like you I don't know why I would need one. I've done a lot of tweaking on mine too and it shoots nice. Plus I have a 15 round G20 mag.

The 29 does jump pretty good when shooting Underwood 155gr and above Someone who shoots both will have to answer. Maybe a 20 would make for faster follow up shots. Yeah, that's why we need one.

3. With the G20, you get:

- Longer sight radius
    - Longer barrel, higher velocity
    - Heavier slide, less recoil
    - Higher capacity (without a mag/grip extension)
    - Full size grip, more control, makes reloads consistently faster

I'm pretty much the opposite, I don't see a reason for me to own a G29. Concealing a G20 is not a problem for me, and I'll take control over "concealability" all day. I know it's a versatile gun, but if I wanted a gun that size that shoots a 10mm bullet, I'd buy a G23. I never really understood why someone would buy a subcompact, and then run Nuclear ammo through it to make up for the shorter barrel. All that does is reduce control & increase muzzle flash.

4. The G29 is more difficult for me to run with hot ammo than the G20. The G20 makes the recoil very easy to manage, whereas the G29 tends to flip more due to the limited grip (I don't have the Pearce +0 extension floor plates on my mags yet - that could make a difference.) IMO, however well you can shoot the G29, you will shoot the G20 better.

What I really like about the G29, like all 10mm, is the versatility. For controllable shooting, I can run medium loads in it, and that gives me full-size G22 ballistics in a subcompact. That's a pretty good feature right there. Plus, if I want to run it hot, I can. But with the recoil generated with a 1200+fps 180gr loading, it wouldn't be my first choice for SD shootability. On the other hand, that same load comes out of the stock G20 at 1300fps, and is very controllable. So I think it depends more on the shooter's personal preference than someone else's opinion.

I agree with Meathead, and that pretty well sums it up right there. I got my G29 because I thought it would be easier to carry, but my G20 is still my primary carry at this point and I have no immediate plans to switch.

5. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I'm the opposite. Never shot a 29.... Can't imagine anything but a 20 on my hip.

6. I use my G20SF with +5 Arrodondo mag extensions as my nightstand gun. Of course I'll never need 20 rounds of 10mm in my bedroom. ;)

G29 SF for carry. It's just easier to conceal IMO.

#6 swinokur, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. I bought a G20sf first and then had to get a G29sf to try. I carry both but the prefer to shoot the G20sf but like the size of the G29sf for carry. If you don't mind carrying a full size get a G20. But I would say it's personal preference.

8. I have both, mmm, I really like the G20, but I carry the G29 in rotation with the G30 gen4. The G20 is a great go to gun at home. It is always handy.

9. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

I really Like the G20SF....for reasons already mentioned ...

10. can't even find a 29 in my area

11. I have several, in both the 29 & 20.

I've taken a hog w/the 29 & hand loaded 200gr Hornady XTPs.

Shot the 29, in USPSA limited, for several yrs. As it was the gun I carried most.

The 29, is faster out of the holster (ie concealed)...and in my opinion, more accurate than the 20.

Good shooting.

12. I own both. I prefer the 20, even though I purchased the 29 first. The 29 makes a much better carry gun, but is downright painful to shoot with hot reloads. The same ammo out of a Glock 20 feels much better in the hand. If I had to keep one Glock 10mm, it would probably be the 20.

13. Well.........

Blue label 20SF followed me home, persistent little rascal.

#13 Shark1007, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  14. Congrats! I'm in it Otown too, where do you shoot at?

15. I live 4 min from Oakridge, but love to shoot at Orlando Gun Club. Facility is new, etc. The youtube/gangbanger wannabe crowd shows at Oakridge pretty often.

16. You might not gain anything but your 29 gains a big brother.
    I can control the 20 better than the 29.

17. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman "ah-lay-mahn"

I've got a 29, or is it a 20? I just can't decide which barrel to keep in it.

[​IMG]

#17 vaquero aleman, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  18. Get some A & G mag grip sleevs for the G21 mag if you decide to dedicate to the G29. easy to grip.