close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 20 longslide

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by darthchicken, Jul 3, 2012.

1. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    I believe that LW's longslides were designed to be open-top because they were supposedly more reliable. Whether or not this is actually the case, I do not know. The solid top slides, on the other hand, offer more mass for effectively delaying unlock while shooting powerful loads. When I had a longslide G20 back in the day, I had a solid top (it was a slightly different design than the LW's) and I liked it a lot. If I were to order one from LW someday I'd most certainly choose a solid top.

As for which is more popular, LW would know. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. darthchicken

darthchicken

May 30, 2012
    Made it to the range yesterday, with the polished chamber and correct wolff may springs. Left one mag spring stock as well, to see if the polished chamber was enough.

It was, as most of you predicted. Both mags fed with no issues :supergrin: sticking with the 24lb recoil spring... it works, so no reason to change.

So just need to get my rmr back from warranty, sell the stock slide and barrel (anybody looking for one?) And I'll bet set for my long range needs!

3. Ramjet-SS

Ramjet-SS

Sep 14, 2011
    N.E. Wisconsin
    That's good news. I have been shooting a pile of 200 grain WFN hard cast in my LW long slide. They feed like butter.

I would keep the stock stuff or you will regret it at some point.

I switch out my hunting setup for stock when using the gun just for woods walking and concealed carrying.

4. darthchicken

darthchicken

May 30, 2012
    It's unlikely I'll regret it honestly (its up in the classifieds right now).

I don't wander the woods, I'm either at the range, or carrying concealed. I won't ever use a glock 20 for concealed (I have a glock 27 for that). I have an advantage arms kit for a glock 19 for plinking. Different tools for different jobs.

This longslide project was mostly done for the cool factor. Bragging rights when I shoot pop cans stupid long ranges. Deer hunting next year. You know.. fun stuff :cool:

5. darthchicken

darthchicken

May 30, 2012
    Thought I'd give a 1 year update on this project - everything has been working great! I don't see much activity about 10mm longslides anymore though, was it a fad?

6. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    I don't know that it was a "fad" but just that many couldn't afford one (I, for one, had one long ago and sold it, among other things, to fund a different 10mm) and now I own a 6" 1911 Fusion 10mm longslide. So, while I might not post about it here in the "Glock" longslide thread, I still shoot it often and love it dearly :)

7. LS357

LS357

Jun 30, 2013
    Louisiana
    I finally built a 10mm longslide earlier last month. Did you have any sort of accuracy issues at first with your setup? Was there a break-in period for yours?

I took mine to the range yesterday, and was shooting left. Adjusted my sights, and just could not hit in the 10 ring. I know I'm not the best of shots, but I regularly shoot accurately with the stock upper, which I put on for carry. I built my longslide for hunting.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. darthchicken

darthchicken

May 30, 2012
    no, sorry never had any issues with accuracy. functioning at first sure, but got that worked out.

I haven't shot mine all that much really, my dad and I haven't been to the range more than half a dozen times in the last 6 months. just been any too busy with life :(

9. LS357

LS357

Jun 30, 2013
    Louisiana
    Thank you for the quick reply. Guess I'll keep putting some rounds through it, and see if it smooths out.

10. Nah, not a fad. I just ordered the 9" barrel...
    Unfortunately LW lacks a corresponding longslide for this barrel so far...

While I do shoot GSSF, it ain't for that, its strictly for hunting.
    Hog and Whitetail deer, mostly at Eglin AFB...
    The stock length has been fine for bowshot-range hits,
    but I want more FPS and a longer slide for better aiming.
    The harder you can smack a hog, the better ;)

11. darthchicken

darthchicken

May 30, 2012
    Well, the time has come to sell it, I've had my fun, and its time to pass it on. It's for sale in the classifieds.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Sorry to hear...